• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT VT Fournication: Nothing ever lasts forever. Everybody wants to rule the chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You also live and work in Charleston, so every day feels like vacation.
I live in Georgetown now, and commute to PI, so not quite the same vibes.

The traffic in Charleston is absolutely terrible though. I make a drive there twice a month or so and it's gotten much worse since I lived there 3 years ago.

Too many damn people.

Today starts my neverending 4 day Merlefest run. Any of y'all coming? Swing by and I'll fry you up a special gourmet grilled cheese.

We’ve never been, but planning on coming out on Sunday and wandering around.

Anything we should try to not miss?

happy-gilmore-angry.gif

Charleston is awesome but I think I’d only want to live there full time if I had a ton of money and could just work my way into a Southern Charm season. Also it’s so damn hot/humid there in the summer.

We’ve never been, but planning on coming out on Sunday and wandering around.

Anything we should try to not miss?
Just walk around and take it all in. The smaller tents/stages are a lot of fun sometimes.

I did the summer before law school on Seabrook and my 1L summer in Charleston (lived on King above Dumas). The ability to go have a beer and look at boats on the water after a day at work is probably as good as any therapy session. That was also 10 years ago Charleston, not this new Charleston, cant vouch for that.

Besides the provincial nature of Charleston as a whole (and the racism) what didn't you enjoy about Charleston?

Also Lefty doing the SC to CO move, I did the CO to SC move. Should we get matching mountain/wave phish tattoos?
Obviously. Come to Dick's and we'll cruise shake down until we find the headiest of grilled cheese sandwiches before sharing a moment during a phat Carini jam.

You hit on two big things; other drivers for our move included the politics of SC in general, traffic, weather, flooding, lack of infrastructure, limited nature of job economy (at the time, I'm sure it's more diverse now), lack of recreation opportunities, limited cultural amenities (theatre, arts, etc.). Food / Bev / Drinking culture is so strong there; perhaps that was a product of my age when I lived there, but everything seemed to revolve around partying and after 10 years we were looking for something different.

That said, Denver hasn't exactly been a cure all. Traffic can suck here at times, air quality in the summer is poor, the impacts of climate change (fires / drought) are probably more noticeable out west than in CHS, there's strong brewery (drinking) culture, but I believe overall the quality of life for my family is better (arts/culture, job opportunities, education, recreation) in Colorado than it would have been if we stayed in Charleston.

Whoa, the brothers Robinson are at this year's Merlefest?

And a zombie Little Feat with Bill Payne, Sam Clayton, and Kenny Gradney still kicking.

Yasmin Williams does interesting things with the guitar.

Man, my wife would go to Charleston on like 95 percent of our vacations if she could.

Whoa, the brothers Robinson are at this year's Merlefest?

And a zombie Little Feat with Bill Payne, Sam Clayton, and Kenny Gradney still kicking.

Yasmin Williams does interesting things with the guitar.
Not much of a "Black Crowes" tour this year after two summers worth of Shake Your Money Maker (which was fucking great - saw them both times at RR), but I know they have several other Brothers shows this summer.

It's a great place weather-wise 9 months out the year. The summers are almost unbearably hot and humid, and I obviously like beach weather.

there is a strain of culture that I associate with Charleston -- shag dancing and khaki shorts with loafers and folks that go to First [Denomination] Church and women that wear broaches, etc. -- that I really don't care for

i know the food scene is killer and the beaches are nice, but i don't imagine i'll ever lead an effort to go there ever again

there is a strain of culture that I associate with Charleston -- shag dancing and khaki shorts with loafers and folks that go to First [Denomination] Church and women that wear broaches, etc. -- that I really don't care for

i know the food scene is killer and the beaches are nice, but i don't imagine i'll ever lead an effort to go there ever again
Yeah if we're going for beaches we're going somewhere else but there's not better place within driving distance for us to just spend all day walking around looking at shit. She was a history teacher and we are all about it.

It seems my failure to account for weather patterns has screwed up my grand plan for the day.

That's interesting to me because I never associated shag dancing culture with Charleston - that was always a Myrtle Beach thing in my experience.

This all makes sense but what do you have against broaches, my guy? Just feels like an odd gripe, even from a guy with a lot of odd gripes. Anti-broach. Hm. I could not form an opinion on broaches if I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back