• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTCT: Featuring the Human Selfie Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a name for the genre of YouTube content aimed at children where it’s like…people acting but not speaking, but there is voiceover dialogue? My 5yo is obsessed with these kind of real life Barbie-type videos and they suck.

Man, the online (and in-person) harassment that kids have to deal with these days is insane. Maybe I was naive to it when I was in high school, but the bullying I dealt with was nothing like what my daughter is enduring right now. For example, kids will follow her in the hallways barking or oinking. She gets ridiculously mean snapchat messages on pretty much a daily basis, too. It's such a relentlessly helpless feeling.

Man, the online (and in-person) harassment that kids have to deal with these days is insane. Maybe I was naive to it when I was in high school, but the bullying I dealt with was nothing like what my daughter is enduring right now. For example, kids will follow her in the hallways barking or oinking. She gets ridiculously mean snapchat messages on pretty much a daily basis, too. It's such a relentlessly helpless feeling.
the hallway stuff was always there.... the ability to hide behind a keyboard and be an asshat is not limited to kids i'm afraid, but clearly not something i ever dealt with growing up.

I’m sorry man, that is rough.

My kids school recently did a "Kids & Tech" talk with a child psychologist and she shared some anecdotes of cyber bullying that she's helping her clients (who are children) navigate and it makes me never want to give them a cell phone. Both overt cyber bullying, but also really passive stuff like kids taking one person off a group chat and this group of friends that all shared location with each other and then suddenly stopped sharing the location with one person to ice them out. Brutal stuff. I'm sorry for what she's going through.

Is there a name for the genre of YouTube content aimed at children where it’s like…people acting but not speaking, but there is voiceover dialogue? My 5yo is obsessed with these kind of real life Barbie-type videos and they suck.

That sort of thing, basically a voiceover of some Roblox game, is what caused me to delete the YT app from my tv entirely.

That sort of thing, basically a voiceover of some Roblox game, is what caused me to delete the YT app from my tv entirely.
There’s just something offputting about children’s YouTube content, especially all the weird ASMR shit or rich Russian kids unboxing toys. No Sir, I don’t like it.

Can you report the snap chats to the school? Schools around here are saying all the right things about stopping cyber bullying but o don’t know if there are any real effective mechanisms to stop it.

God, my dog just now walked into my office, blasted a stinky fart under my desk and then left. What the hell dude Im the one who feeds you

He thinks you need to give up the WFH dream and go back to the fucking office so he can get some sleep.

The avocado toast is better at my house than at the office. #WFHElite

Can you report the snap chats to the school? Schools around here are saying all the right things about stopping cyber bullying but o don’t know if there are any real effective mechanisms to stop it.
Yes, but that's where it gets complicated. The school seems to have a history of victim blaming, based on some of our prior interactions. Not to mention, the principal wanted to have my daughter try to communicate with an ex-boyfriend that is stalking her (and behind this bullying) to set up some kind of entrapment/sting operation and we're like, "uh, that seems like an exceedingly bad idea". The other part that is tough for her is she is convinced that this will come up in the "character evaluation" part of her National Honors Society application- and...she might not be wrong- so she's thinking of not applying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back