• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CTYB5.0: PM Creamy for Forbes Info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was an American flight.

it's -6 degrees at copper mountain this morning. this coffee HITS

I wish I loved anything as much as Parisians love retiring at 62
It’s absolutely insane. Like we have already established they aren’t working very hard when they actually are working. Waiting 2 more years to collect that government pension ain’t gonna kill anyone Frenchies.

So BBD are you actually trying that Bojangles hard tea?

My parents budgeted well, invested intelligently and most importantly focused on healthy habits and staying in shape and they’ve enjoyed 20 of the best retirement years anyone could ask for and hopefully have at least another decade to go. That’s my idea of the American dream and one I hope to achieve as well. Why anyone would want to spend their life working themselves to death into their late 60s is beyond me.

I’m just doing what I have to do to make it y’all 🤷‍♂️ I certainly don’t plan to be working at 60 so that’s why I’m making the money now.

It’s absolutely insane. Like we have already established they aren’t working very hard when they actually are working. Waiting 2 more years to collect that government pension ain’t gonna kill anyone Frenchies.
Maybe some of it is because Macron forced it through on a parliamentary maneuver rather than letting both houses vote on it, maybe some of it is because he chose to force people to work longer rather than raising taxes on the rich, but a lot of it has to do with the French view that life truly does not begin until work ends and the retirement years are when you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor: travel, spend time with your family, renew friendships, and Macron chose to raise the retirement age despite 87% of the country being against it.

I’m not too deep into the details but he also did it because their current path isn’t sustainable with demographic changes resulting in fewer workers supporting more retirees. Kind of like the trajectory we are on with Social Security. Maybe raising the retirement age isn’t the only avenue for addressing that funding gap but it seems like an important consideration.

While I am officially 'retired' from what allowed me to 'retire' (teaching), I couldn't be more thankful to have 'work' available most days that allows me to cultivate and nurture relationships, which in turn produce wonderfully creative results, and in ever expanding ways, too.

There's a lot of 'in-the-moment' validation in what I do. It was true in teaching, too. The very act of being creative is a form of validation per se. We all create. All the time. You think, you create. I'm always down to learn something new because of it.

Having learned the value of it, I've long since ceased thinking of it as 'work'. I see it as 'opportunity', and a chance to choose and experience satisfaction. Even joy. I acknowledge there can be tedium and drudgery in doing things, but doing good work and the satisfaction available in opportunity is my goal, my prize. So, I'll 'work' as long as I am able to do it well.

Hope you fine CT peeps have a balance of the weekend that exceeds your expectations for it.

Last edited:
I’m not too deep into the details but he also did it because their current path isn’t sustainable with demographic changes resulting in fewer workers supporting more retirees. Kind of like the trajectory we are on with Social Security. Maybe raising the retirement age isn’t the only avenue for addressing that funding gap but it seems like an important consideration.
Being able to pay for social security is absolutely the big issue, but we can’t think about this only in terms of white white collar jobs, when the people who it will impact the most are those not working in offices, it is those who have not been lucky enough to save up. It’s the garbage men who are striking, the laborers, the landscapers, farmers, those whose bodies have already broken down before 62 and now are expected to work even longer before they can receive their pensions. A wholesale raising of the retirement age was absolutely not the way to do this, because it impacts the lower class so much more. NPR did a great job covering it this week in a bunch of short segments if you want to take a deeper look.

Thanks Timmy, I’ll give it a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back