• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cuse @ Wake 12:00PM Kick-Off for Homecoming (as expected)

Does anyone ever look back and think maybe WF should not have run off a coach that won an ACC championship and went to lots of bowls? Not trolling, just a serious, honest to jesus question.

Does anyone ever look back and think maybe WF should not have run off a coach that won an ACC championship and went to lots of bowls? Not trolling, just a serious, honest to jesus question.

Seriously no. I love Jim Grobe, always will. He accomplished incredible things at Wake. However, he got too comfortable in my opinion. I think part of that was on him and part of it was on the administration honestly. Anyway, the cupboard was completely bare on the offensive side of the ball when he left and Clawson inherited a terrible roster on that side. Clawson is younger, devotes tons of energy to the job and understands Wake's limitations, but doesn't let them constrict him. I think he's a great fit for Wake. He's only the 2nd coach to take Wake to 2 straight bowl games. This year has been disappointing no doubt, but Wake will never be a program that can sustain the number of injuries we have this year and starting a true freshman quarterback and be successful.

I think with Clawson there will be times when injuries or recruits just not working out that his "system" will struggle here, as I think he is much more of a stubborn system type coach than Grobe. Grobe was not afraid to change the system to try to fit the players. Sometimes that worked and sometimes it failed miserably though. Again I love Grobie, but I'm glad Clawson is here and I'm still all in on him. The big concern I do have is defense. I think that side of the ball has been neglected somewhat and maybe because the offense needed so much work. Of course losing a very good DC hurt.

No.

similar to above. Grobe was a great coach who should have high praise from all Wake fans, but his season here was over - very similar to Odom. He will always be well respected and liked, but it was the right time to look to the future of the program when each stepped down. They should be lauded, but not romanticized. Clawson is a great replacement an a good next step up.

I think Skip's death impacted Grobe more than we realize. He changed after that.

I think Skip's death impacted Grobe more than we realize. He changed after that.

Yeah, I do think they had special relationship that doesn't exist between a lot of schools football and basketball coaches. Not saying football and basketball coaches don't have a good relationship at most schools, but Grobe and Skip I think really took to each other. Both came in the same year if I remember correctly.

Sorry if this is Haas, but Jim Grobe is the DC for the San Antonio Commanders a franchise in the fledgling Spring Football League - AFA: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/former-mu-assistant-grobe-to-coach-in-new-afa-league/article_a398dd56-4afb-54b5-87f0-84376275631d.html

He will be coaching under former Nebraska (among other stops) coach Mike Riley.

So, did Grobe run out of money in retirement or is his wife driving him absolutely crazy at home?

Yep, I think it was Phil Haynes. Clawson has stated several times how much he “loves that kid.” Looked like he was showing him some tough love at that moment.

It was Cade Carney. Clawson was yelling at him before he had gotten off the field, kept yelling at him. And then was talking to Kevin Higgins on the sideline before the kick, Carney tapped Clawson on the back and Clawson lit into him again.

It was Cade Carney. Clawson was yelling at him before he had gotten off the field, kept yelling at him. And then was talking to Kevin Higgins on the sideline before the kick, Carney tapped Clawson on the back and Clawson lit into him again.

Any explanation for why that happened, did Cade just have a brain fart and blurted out the wrong thing after the coin flip?

No.

similar to above. Grobe was a great coach who should have high praise from all Wake fans, but his season here was over - very similar to Odom. He will always be well respected and liked, but it was the right time to look to the future of the program when each stepped down. They should be lauded, but not romanticized. Clawson is a great replacement an a good next step up.

Yep.
Ditto what Thunderbolt and Liveanddie said.

Any explanation for why that happened, did Cade just have a brain fart and blurted out the wrong thing after the coin flip?

Not yet ... The subject will come up tomorrow with Clawson in the presser, or afterward. It shouldn't have, but it got lost in the shuffle in Saturday's postgame. Clawson had already gone about 5 minutes longer in the post-game press conference than usual, and (only speaking for myself) I just forgot to ask.

Masterson - beast on special teams.

Whiff at LB. Lots of whiffs on tackles, in general. Almost every play. Dungey a very good runner.

Hartman - step up into the pocket (ala Aaron Rodgers) then deliver the confident throw - he will get there (next year).

Basham - we miss him a lot. My opinion, our best defensive player, and defense was playing fairly well without him until Hartman's epic goof of a fumble that killed us.

Thursday - Hartman was clearly the best and most talented QB option. It could be a "yikes" game I turn off at half time. The only chance I give us to make this a game is if Hinton somehow plays QB and with a giant middle finger (to Clawson??) goes off running the ball...not really likely. At all.

Whiff at LB. Lots of whiffs on tackles, in general. Almost every play. Dungey a very good runner.

Hartman - step up into the pocket (ala Aaron Rodgers) then deliver the confident throw - he will get there (next year).

Basham - we miss him a lot. My opinion, our best defensive player, and defense was playing fairly well without him until Hartman's epic goof of a fumble that killed us.

Thursday - Hartman was clearly the best and most talented QB option. It could be a "yikes" game I turn off at half time. The only chance I give us to make this a game is if Hinton somehow plays QB and with a giant middle finger (to Clawson??) goes off running the ball...not really likely. At all.

I think a lot of Masterson's misses are because he is still reacting a bit late (new position) and getting to the ball carrier a step late. I could see him as a really good rover with an off season of practice. He seems to fit the role of the guy who isn't quite a safety or a linebacker.

There was one running play in the first half, where Masterson didn't even move until the RB was already further downfield than he was standing. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it, and it was almost comical in that it looked like a video game glitch.

Yep. Despite the fact that it’s an oxymoron, I like uniform variety.

Back