• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Damari Monsanto

Ha no he cannot just lie. Having been involved in litigation in the ACC Forbes can absolutely not lie about Monsanto’s injury.

You either say “I’m not going to discuss Damari” which is going to be pretty incendiary, or you just make it clear it’s a player decision not a coach decision which basically ends all questions.

It’s a very difficult spot, Forbes handled it about as well as he could have.
If Damari says his knee is hurt, he can certainly say- Damari’s knee is hurt.

Totally. By saying repeatedly that Damari says his knee is hurt he is making a point. He does not need to put it that way…he could easily say Damari is dealing with some sorrness or pain and couldn’t practice.

Damari has not said anything publicly about his knee being hurt. If he had, that would be correct. Otherwise he can only relay what he’s told him or say he’s been cleared of not cleared medically.

It would be a really bad idea at this point for Forbes to say that he thinks Monsanto is too inured to play. Because then the next question is when did it happen, the question after that is why did he play against Notre dame if you knew he was injured… etc.

Damari has not said anything publicly about his knee being hurt. If he had, that would be correct. Otherwise he can only relay what he’s told him or say he’s been cleared of not cleared medically.

It would be a really bad idea at this point for Forbes to say that he thinks Monsanto is too inured to play. Because then the next question is when did it happen, the question after that is why did he play against Notre dame if you knew he was injured… etc
I still don’t buy that. Coaches comment on injuries all the time.
And if we’re talking legally acceptable, he could simply have asked Damari’s permission to say it. I’ll drop it now but wanted to explain why I was uncomfortable with some of the comments.

Yes he could have. Maybe he did. I’m not going to speculate other than to say it’s pretty obvious that Forbes and Damari aren’t on the same page at the moment. And sure, coaches say things all the time that they shouldn’t.

But I’ve been in a court room and heard this exact scenario lead to a multi-million dollar settlement. When a coach makes it clear they are deciding whether a player is seriously injured or not it is a bad situation. End of story. Also not going to continue discussing it, everyone has their take. I hope everything works out for Damari. Sad way for it to end.

I think it was the ones the past two games like- he says he hurt his knee, etc. I would have preferred- “He hurt his knee and is no longer practicing with the team.” Maybe some think that’s dishonest, but I’d prefer that.
You seem to be reading a lot into this to criticize Forbes. From Forbes’ perspective, Damari was cleared medically. Damari didn’t practice because Damari said the knee was hurting. If there wasn’t a specific reinjury, what Forbes said is accurate. Forbes is acknowledging that he is going off of what Damari is telling him, not the medical staff.
It’s useful information.

Yes he could have. Maybe he did. I’m not going to speculate other than to say it’s pretty obvious that Forbes and Damari aren’t on the same page at the moment. And sure, coaches say things all the time that they shouldn’t.

But I’ve been in a court room and heard this exact scenario lead to a multi-million dollar settlement. When a coach makes it clear they are deciding whether a player is seriously injured or not it is a bad situation. End of story. Also not going to continue discussing it, everyone has their take. I hope everything works out for Damari. Sad way for it to end.
Complete side note, but you’ve had a school employee FERPA case like this? Would genuinely like to see that decision.

Lots of people who are saying they aren’t going to speculate and we don’t have all the information but are perfectly happy to criticize Monsanto for quitting and being immature

In what scenario could you make not sitting on the bench with your teammates acceptable behavior? Feeling down, hurt, whatever. You still sit there.
Super sick. Stay home. But showing up. Then leaving. But not being on the bench. Not a great look

This is a sad end to the Damari story at WF

Hope Damari gets the support he needs

Hope the WF team who shows up in DC is ready to kick ass

In what scenario could you make not sitting on the bench with your teammates acceptable behavior? Feeling down, hurt, whatever. You still sit there.
Super sick. Stay home. But showing up. Then leaving. But not being on the bench. Not a great look
not gonna speculate. We don’t have all the information.

I hope he is okay and finds some peace with how his career has gone

not gonna speculate. We don’t have all the information.

I hope he is okay and finds some peace with how his career has gone

So that means you can't think of any scenario where that's acceptable. Cause maybe there is one. But I'm not finding it.

I can think of plenty. You realize we have a mental health epidemic in this country right now?

Mental health issue allows him to show up. Take some pics. Then leave?

If you're too down/anxious to play - stay at home entirely or sit the bench. Not neither.

Elaborate then. Seriously.

I'm in my own head on this maybe. But I can't think of any that are reasonable
Shows up intending to be on bench. Arrives and realizes the emotion and memory of all that has happened in the past year, sisters death and injury detailing career, is overwhelmingly emotionally debilitating and being on the bench a sobbing mess would be worse than not being on the bench.

Back