• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: Deacons Show Up

Dan didn't include Codi's full quote:

“This is my first time speaking about it, but I personally get mad when any program blames a coach for something, because it’s not the coach on the floor playing. He is isn’t the one playing defense. He isn’t the one missing shots, missing free throws, missing layups. The games we lost, we didn’t give him a chance to do his job because we weren’t doing our job as players.”

Nice of you guys to take hits for the coach, who often hasn't taken hits for you. In any event, I believe that all of you, taking hits for Jeff [Redacted] or not, deserve a coach who can motivate you, and lead you, and for whom you will not have to keep taking hits.

Nice of you guys to take hits for the coach, who often hasn't taken hits for you. In any event, I believe that all of you, taking hits for Jeff [Redacted] or not, deserve a coach who can motivate you, and lead you, and for whom you will not have to keep taking hits.

I will say this, these guys seem dedicated to their coach. This is a coach with the personality of mud. They get a real coach? I don't see buying in being any problem with this group. They all want to win.

[Redacted] is amazing. He is like a cult leader aka Charles Manson . If/when he gets fired, he should start a cult. Never seen people so loyal to a scrub in my life.

Company men, all of them .
When was the last time a college athlete went in on his coach in the press? Rare if ever. You'd think by reading this thread that it happens all the time.

“This is my first time speaking about it, but I personally get mad when any program blames a coach for something, because it’s not the coach on the floor playing. He is isn’t the one playing defense. He isn’t the one missing shots, missing free throws, missing layups. The games we lost, we didn’t give him a chance to do his job because we weren’t doing our job as players.”

wtf isn't that like a verbatim repeat of Devin's comment from a week ago?

"Sometimes in timeouts I'll say, 'I've got nothing for you. What do you want me to do? We just turned it over six times. Everybody's holding the ball. What else do you want me to do here? Figure it out,' " Popovich said, according to the San Antonio Express-News, not long before the Spurs used 14 3-pointers and a season-high 39 assists to dispatch the Cavs. "And I'll get up and walk away. Because it's true. There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them."
"I think competitive character people don't want to be manipulated constantly to do what one individual wants them to do," Popovich said, according to the Express-News. "It's a great feeling when players get together and do things as a group. Whatever can be done to empower those people."
"If they're holding the ball, they're holding the ball," Popovich said. "I certainly didn't tell them to hold the ball. Just like, if they make five in a row, I didn't do that. If they get a great rebound, I didn't do that. It's a players' game and they've got to perform. The better you can get that across, the more they take over and the more smoothly it runs.
"Then you interject here or there. You call a play during the game at some point or make a substitution, that kind of thing that helps the team win. But they basically have to take charge or you never get to the top of the mountain."

"Sometimes in timeouts I'll say, 'I've got nothing for you. What do you want me to do? We just turned it over six times. Everybody's holding the ball. What else do you want me to do here? Figure it out,' " Popovich said, according to the San Antonio Express-News, not long before the Spurs used 14 3-pointers and a season-high 39 assists to dispatch the Cavs. "And I'll get up and walk away. Because it's true. There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them."
"I think competitive character people don't want to be manipulated constantly to do what one individual wants them to do," Popovich said, according to the Express-News. "It's a great feeling when players get together and do things as a group. Whatever can be done to empower those people."
"If they're holding the ball, they're holding the ball," Popovich said. "I certainly didn't tell them to hold the ball. Just like, if they make five in a row, I didn't do that. If they get a great rebound, I didn't do that. It's a players' game and they've got to perform. The better you can get that across, the more they take over and the more smoothly it runs.
"Then you interject here or there. You call a play during the game at some point or make a substitution, that kind of thing that helps the team win. But they basically have to take charge or you never get to the top of the mountain."

what is your point

Are you trying to compare Jeff [Redacted] to Gregg Popovich?

and the san antonio spurs to wake forest

The difference between coaching in the NBA and coaching in college.

Well Bzzz has gotten one thing across to this team, the fact that (in his mind at least) their play has nothing to do with the job he is doing as a coach and therefore is blameless for the last 4 four years. Hope Bzzzz doesn't turn evil after he's canned, those brainwashing powers could really be dangerous if used for the wrong purposes.

I am glad the guys are defending him. Says a lot about their character and about their willingness to protect each other. I love that and I love this team. I know it isn't popular, but I think Bz is a solid guy and knows his x's and o's. That being said, it is clear that Bz isn't the right guy for the job. There is a lot more to coaching than just being a good guy that knows the game well. With the right coach, this team can be good...really good.

I am glad the guys are defending him. Says a lot about their character and about their willingness to protect each other. I love that and I love this team. I know it isn't popular, but I think Bz is a solid guy and knows his x's and o's. That being said, it is clear that Bz isn't the right guy for the job. There is a lot more to coaching than just being a good guy that knows the game well. With the right coach, this team can be good...really good.

He's just not. I mean last night on the postgame I kind of felt sorry for him, because the man is just so challenged socially, that he couldn't even really express himself right after what should've been the highlight of his time at Wake. A head coach has got to have more than x and o knowledge, he's got to be the face of the program with the media and fans and that just isn't in [Redacted]'s makeup.

So, basically, Codi just admitted that he hasn't done his job for two years straight. Sounds like an invitation to be benched and recruited over by the next coach to me.

I will say this, these guys seem dedicated to their coach. This is a coach with the personality of mud. They get a real coach? I don't see buying in being any problem with this group. They all want to win.

It's called the Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding. The captive bonds with the captor. Hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them. :rulz:

Can't believe so many of you have your panties in a wad over players defending their coach. Do you have a great need for them to validate your opinion? Have never understood the personal attacks on coaches and players on this team. The crap that Tyler was taking here last night because of his acne was disgusting.

Bz's record speaks for itself. Personal attacks do not make your point any stronger. He's not getting the job done. He needs to go. Wellman and the administration was never going to pull the plug on him after 3 years and a freshman class. Didn't agree with it but it wasn't my decision.

The personal stuff here is really juvenile.

Back