• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins WEIGHS in...

I saw a player named Adrian Jones toss in a 25-footer while falling down to beat Wake 68-67 in Atlanta early in the 1999-2000 season.

Was that a December game vs. UGA? I remember watching that game in Vegas with some fellow Deacs if so. Definitely a stomach punch game. Sucks when your team loses before lunch.

Yes it was. The guy was falling out of bounds on the sidelines. Vidauretta was guarding him. I couldn't believe it went in. And I thought back to that play right after seeing the miracle three bank shot Tuesday night. I think we went to Hawaii shortly after that game and lost 2 of 3.

I saw a player named Adrian Jones toss in a 25-footer while falling down to beat Wake 68-67 in Atlanta early in the 1999-2000 season.

Was that a December game vs. UGA? I remember watching that game in Vegas with some fellow Deacs if so. Definitely a stomach punch game. Sucks when your team loses before lunch.

Also sucks when it's shortly after dinner- I had all that I could do not to yak! Still numb today....

Well .... the Spurs got trashed by GS and while GS played their A game, the Spurs had 8 TO's in the first quarter (ie. a 32/gm pace). Pop essentially called out every player on the team and especially the starters. Jeez you think that guys that are paid millions a year for a job and have won championships would know to come out with their A game against the top team in the league.

The point .... we are dealing with kids.

Crap we had Braswell and Rutland fighting over the same girl that screwed up one season. We had Teague pouting over Ish playing the point.

As I've said on other threads, if BC is the type of player many believe he is, he will have learned a very hard lesson and in the long run we'll be better off or it. Not that I wanted to experience this type of crap (now or ever) but I'd rather have it happen in a marginal season than when we are playing for ACCT and NCAAT seeding in two years.

I'm a spurs fan and I think this might be a quintessential Spurs donk post.

This reminds me of the Odom formula - in order to feel confident about a lead with an Odom coached team, you needed to be up 2 points for every minute left to play, plus 10.

This reminds me of the Odom formula - in order to feel confident about a lead with an Odom coached team, you needed to be up 2 points for every minute left to play, plus 10.

I seem to remember it differently because we had great guards and could close out games. We could be up by only 2 points with a minute left and I felt confident because we would get the ball into the hands of Chill or Rutland, guys who could handle and hit their FT's. For a coach who averaged 20 wins per year and won back to back ACC titles, he sure did blow a lot of leads in your mind, huh?

Yes it was. The guy was falling out of bounds on the sidelines. Vidauretta was guarding him. I couldn't believe it went in. And I thought back to that play right after seeing the miracle three bank shot Tuesday night. I think we went to Hawaii shortly after that game and lost 2 of 3.

Pretty sure that one of those Hawaii games we lost was on an off-balance double pump shot that went in.

I seem to remember it differently because we had great guards and could close out games. We could be up by only 2 points with a minute left and I felt confident because we would get the ball into the hands of Chill or Rutland, guys who could handle and hit their FT's. For a coach who averaged 20 wins per year and won back to back ACC titles, he sure did blow a lot of leads in your mind, huh?

I still remember the game at UNC in the early 90s when Wake blew a 22 point second half lead. Odom waited an eternity to call TO. One of my criticisms was he seemed unwilling at times to use TOs to try to stop runs.

I still remember the game at UNC in the early 90s when Wake blew a 22 point second half lead. Odom waited an eternity to call TO. One of my criticisms was he seemed unwilling at times to use TOs to try to stop runs.

Butter, I can't say one game like this in Chapel Hill makes a career, not when that coach gives you a 40% winning percentage on the road in the ACC, best since Bones for us. Dean's teams did that to a lot of people back then with rousing come from behind victories, especially with the 3 point arc. But what made GDO's teams so good overall was beside's his coaching, he had guards that didn't turn the ball over at key times and could shoot critical free throws. You don't go 38-56 on the road in the ACC by not having that. And just like Coach Manning, he had to build it himself because he came in off the Staak era of 2-26 [7%] road record and Manning is coming off the Jeff/Ron debacle where we were 2-32 [6%].
That doesn't get turned around overnight because you have to turn the attitudes into winning attitudes.

Butter, I can't say one game like this in Chapel Hill makes a career, not when that coach gives you a 40% winning percentage on the road in the ACC, best since Bones for us. Dean's teams did that to a lot of people back then with rousing come from behind victories, especially with the 3 point arc. But what made GDO's teams so good overall was beside's his coaching, he had guards that didn't turn the ball over at key times and could shoot critical free throws. You don't go 38-56 on the road in the ACC by not having that. And just like Coach Manning, he had to build it himself because he came in off the Staak era of 2-26 [7%] road record and Manning is coming off the Jeff/Ron debacle where we were 2-32 [6%].
That doesn't get turned around overnight because you have to turn the attitudes into winning attitudes.

Fair points all. Odom is underappreciated, but he had his headscratcher moments.

Back