• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Daniel Green

I like Green, but he's extremely limited and will at best be a borderline ACC player. People are really stretching things here. I know it's tough to support a bad team, but coping by pretending things are better than they are just makes it worse.

I like Green, but he's extremely limited and will at best be a borderline ACC player. People are really stretching things here. I know it's tough to support a bad team, but coping by pretending things are better than they are just makes it worse.

PhDeac - coping by pretending things are better is part of our national DNA. Green and the Deacs are just at tiny part of it.

You may be right, Ph, but I am not ready to write him off with a ceiling of "borderline ACC player" just yet. He shows really good effort and some understanding of the game, at least at times. And he appears to have at least decent hands. He is just so thin and weak it is hard to tell what he could do if he could stand up to the players around him. I don't expect too much more out of him next year but he could mature into a real contributor his last two years - assuming he puts in the time in the weight room. (and depending who else we have on the roster at that point).

I think we have to see what shape he is in when he comes back next year. If he bulks up and can bang more that changes the dynamic.

Not calling anyone out here on this, but the board can be really wrong about how good a frosh/soph is or will be. Example #1 Ish Smith, who some derided as not an ACC PG.

Green's best case scenario is that he can gain weight and be a serviceable defensive and rebounding presence. If he had the footwork to score, we would have seen it by now.

Basically, his best case scenario is Josh Shoemaker. Make of that what you will.

I think we have to see what shape he is in when he comes back next year. If he bulks up and can bang more that changes the dynamic.

Not calling anyone out here on this, but the board can be really wrong about how good a frosh/soph is or will be. Example #1 Ish Smith, who some derided as not an ACC PG.

Pretty amusing point when you look up a few posts above yours. :D

You guys are acting like Ish was a scrub as a freshman, playing spot minutes or something. He led the league in assists as a freshman. Whenever we talk about guys who have a chance to bloom "just like Ish", they need to have shown the ability to do something at a pretty high level or it's a dumb comparison.

Not using Ish to say, Green is going to develop into NBA talent. I am saying the evaluation of talent here has been wrong before.

Ish goes from 'not an ACC PG' to NBA PG.

Maybe Green goes from: minimal contributor to significant contributor.

There is always the factor of how hard a guy works in the off season to improve. If a guy is satisfied with being on the team and getting some playing time, his upside is limited. If a guy wants to be a bigger part of the team and works hard to get there he can raise the ceiling.

I think Green can become an effective rotation player for us as an energy guy/rebounder, sort of a poor man's Jamaal Levy. Anything more than that would be surprising. I hope he sticks around and proves us all wrong, in a good way.

If Green were to redshirt next year, and then maybe the year after, and gain 40 lbs and not lose any quickness and develop a jump shot Then yea he could be pretty good.

Daniel is a great kid from all I hear But he it is highly unlikely that we are going to win any ACC games with him as a starter.

Wake up people -

You guys are acting like Ish was a scrub as a freshman, playing spot minutes or something. He led the league in assists as a freshman. Whenever we talk about guys who have a chance to bloom "just like Ish", they need to have shown the ability to do something at a pretty high level or it's a dumb comparison.

Yea, Ish was clearly talented from the minute he walked through the door.

What's amazing is how many people here decried Ish as a sub-par PG and wanted someone else.

A better analogy is Muggsy, who was completed wasted by the coaching staff his freshman year because they didn't feel he was ready.

A better analogy is Muggsy, who was completed wasted by the coaching staff his freshman year because they didn't feel he was ready.

IIRC he was playing behind Danny Young, a pretty fine college point guard in his own right, whom I believe also played in the NBA for a while.

Yea, Ish was clearly talented from the minute he walked through the door.

What's amazing is how many people here decried Ish as a sub-par PG and wanted someone else.

That "someone else" was even more talented from the minute he walked through the door.

Ish had clear strengths and really bad weaknesses. He got better. Green doesn't have clear strengths except for hustle.

I guess it we had played Bogues over the Sr. PG we would have gotten past Houston in the final 8.

Back