• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We need to play every game, no matter the situation, like it's a + or - 4 point game with 5 minutes left. It's not enough to wait around and only get that practice when the situation presents itself.

If we could some how win tonight, this thread should fall off the front page.

Which is totally reasonable. If we win by 1 Manning will suddenly become a good coach to many on this thread but if we lose by 1 the votes of no confidence will grow even louder.

Evaluating a rebuild one game at a time is lunacy.

Which is totally reasonable. If we win by 1 Manning will suddenly become a good coach to many on this thread but if we lose by 1 the votes of no confidence will grow even louder.

Evaluating a rebuild one game at a time is lunacy

That we can agree. The results of tonight's game should have little impact on the macro level discussions

That we can agree. The results of tonight's game should have little impact on the macro level discussions

The macro conversation still revolves around his in-game coaching in for sure. I am curious to see his lineup near the close of the game.

The macro conversation still revolves around his in-game coaching in for sure. I am curious to see his lineup near the close of the game.

Which, as we've discussed, is a relatively micro-issue.

What percentage do the following coaching attributes contribute to a team's success?

Recruiting
Talent development
Motivation
X's and O's
Game Management

Hopefully the game is close enough to warrant lineup scrutiny.

If it's a 10-15 point game, why talk about line-up scrutiny? They have massively more talent than we do.

That being said, I hope Bryant is back in after the TV TO.

We have three players who deserve starters' minutes in the ACC.

I'm still undecided on Woods, mostly because his production has fallen off since the start of conference play.

Childress is either too young (fingers crossed) or just plain old bad. Either way, he can't help this year.

I don't know what to make of Moore. He can't see the floor barely all season, and then plays really well against a tough opponent.

McClinton, Wilbekin, and Arians are known quantities, and ideally they're not good enough to consistently see more than spot minutes.

Assuming that Dinos, Crawford, and Collins can play 25 minutes per game, that means we're getting 62.5% of our minutes from players who (IMO) are either borderline or non-ACC caliber players. Tough to win many games in conference like that.

Bzdelick was such a disaster that I don't really blame Manning for the situation as it sits now, but the current freshmen have got me really worried. If these guys were ACC-level, then they should be stealing minutes from someone - especially known-quantity guys like Wilbekin and McClinton. They're not, and that's concerning.

For next year, best case realistic scenario is that Childress, Woods, and Moore clearly demonstrate they're ACC-caliber and we add Brown, giving us 7 solid players. I'd be happy with that.

Worst case realistic scenario is that we only add Brown. We'll be better regardless, but the worst-case scenario means that Manning will have brought in 4 solid players out of 13 recruits (I'm including Dinos and Woods here) Or, if you prefer to give him a pass for his first class, 3 players out of 10 recruits. That doesn't bode well.

We lost in the first half but almost rallied back in the second. If we take a few more chances with players on the floor in the first, we might have won.

We lost in the first half but almost rallied back in the second. If we take a few more chances with players on the floor in the first, we might have won.

Yeah I wish he would have kept Crawford in more in the first half than Collins since Crawford isn't usually foul prone. Crawford was feeling it all night and he would've helped. Don't mind keeping Collins on the bench more tonight since he didn't do much offensively and Doral was playing great defense. Tough loss. I wish we could just pull one of those out and I think it would make a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the RChildress mental gymnastics after yet another debacle.

Not sure losing by 6 at home to a top 10 team is a debacle but I'll indulge you.

According to this thread, if Manning were even an average coach we would be 14-3 (winning @NW, @X, Clemson and tonight) against a top 10 schedule. This is inspite of the fact that Manning has only recruited 3-4 decent players to our program.

Is that about right?

Y'all are seriously arguing that an average coach would take average talent and be a top 25 team.

I mean stop and think about that. If Manning had won the four games we lost in the final minutes we would be a top 20 team and he would be in the conversation for National Coach of the year at this point.

But he loses those four games and all of a sudden he's a shit coach who deserves to be fired?

And those are all games that you legitimately thought we would have won if it weren't for Manning's shitty in game coaching.

Which means you think Manning has assembled a top 20 team (through sheer luck) and is currently wasting all that talent with his in game blunders.

Back