• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Odom recruited Rogers, Childress, Duncan, Howard, and Songaila, not to mention his second tier of players like Rutland, Dawson, O'kelley. Odom was the best recruiter we've had. His only real failure as a recruiter was putting way too much hope in Loren Woods.

and Joachim Blom and Shon Coleman...

Winning this game doesn't show anything more than losing any other game, in term's of Manning's viability of a coach. However, that doesn't stop the crowd from piling on after every loss. So for what it's worth: good win today! With the exception of some serious issues breaking the press, and the fact that the second half took 75 minutes, it was great to see. Let's see if we can get a win @ NC State and/or Syracuse.

Winning this game doesn't show anything more than losing any other game, in term's of Manning's viability of a coach. However, that doesn't stop the crowd from piling on after every loss. So for what it's worth: good win today! With the exception of some serious issues breaking the press, and the fact that the second half took 75 minutes, it was great to see. Let's see if we can get a win @ NC State and/or Syracuse.

Yeah that was pretty much my point. After a win, no one comes here and says "see!! I told you!!" But after a loss it's like the world is about to end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better, but still a lot of room for improvement

Well, this thread is quiet tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most of tonight's game and sometimes I liked what Danny was doing. However, I do not understand at all how a coach can let his team forget about Collins for long stretches in the middle of the second half. The guys that were guarding him had 4 fouls, someone on the bench has to direct the players to attack those players, especially when someone is playing the way Collins was tonight. I'm not sure he needs to touch the ball every time down the court, but if we go three possessions without even trying to get the ball to Collins, then Danny needs to call a timeout and explain to the guys what they need to do. *** Still a problem, either that the players are ignoring him, or he is not realizing the appropriate plays to call.

I still can't imagine what he is doing with some of the combinations that he leaves on the floor together. There is no reason that any of our lineups should have Arians as our 2nd best offensive option on the court. I like what he brings to the table, but two of Crawford, Mitoglou, Woods, and Collins should be on the court at all times. To have all (or nearly all) of those guys on the bench at the same time shows a poor job of juggling lineups. We have got to do a better job with this.

I am psyched about this win and optimistic about our season. If we can recreate the ball movement that we had in the 1st half, we are going to have a great rest of the season. But our players and our coaches have to remember that is what we need to do in order to be successful. I felt like we forgot that for a while in the 2nd half. Danny, you can't let them forget!

Maybe if we shoot 75% from the field/65% on threes/95% on FTs, score 110 and have 3 TOs, Bojangles will say we played well.

We completely controlled the game. We shot 57.7/47.4/81.8; had only 9 TOs;scored 96 against a team that averaged giving up 59/game. Collins scored a career high, but that's not enough.

There's no such thing as a perfect game in basketball.

The downside of building a 22-point lead: you might at some point during the game give back some of that lead.

Something to think about

Some perspective on the long, strange trip it's been.

This is our best win since Indiana last season (neutral floor). Our best home win since Cav got 20 pts in a win over Duke in [Redacted]'s final season.

IF we had held on against Clemson, things would be looking much rosier.

Yeah that was pretty much my point. After a win, no one comes here and says "see!! I told you!!"
Except... you.

Good win, excellent performance. A turning point in our season, or an outlier? Or neither. We'll see.

Very good, high quality win that validates the Kenpom ranking.

Excited to see how we finish the season. Get a couple of more wins like this and hold serve against the bad teams, and we have a shot at the NIT.

Very good, high quality win that validates the Kenpom ranking.

Excited to see how we finish the season. Get a couple of more wins like this and hold serve against the bad teams, and we have a shot at the NIT.
If Wake does what you've stated, they will make the big dance. Looking at a group of Clemson, Miami, Pitt, Wake, NC St, Cuse, VT & GT.. I'd guess 4 make the tournament & I don't see a reason why WF isn't #2 or 3 of the group.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most of tonight's game and sometimes I liked what Danny was doing. However, I do not understand at all how a coach can let his team forget about Collins for long stretches in the middle of the second half. The guys that were guarding him had 4 fouls, someone on the bench has to direct the players to attack those players, especially when someone is playing the way Collins was tonight. I'm not sure he needs to touch the ball every time down the court, but if we go three possessions without even trying to get the ball to Collins, then Danny needs to call a timeout and explain to the guys what they need to do. *** Still a problem, either that the players are ignoring him, or he is not realizing the appropriate plays to call.

I still can't imagine what he is doing with some of the combinations that he leaves on the floor together. There is no reason that any of our lineups should have Arians as our 2nd best offensive option on the court. I like what he brings to the table, but two of Crawford, Mitoglou, Woods, and Collins should be on the court at all times. To have all (or nearly all) of those guys on the bench at the same time shows a poor job of juggling lineups. We have got to do a better job with this.

I am psyched about this win and optimistic about our season. If we can recreate the ball movement that we had in the 1st half, we are going to have a great rest of the season. But our players and our coaches have to remember that is what we need to do in order to be successful. I felt like we forgot that for a while in the 2nd half. Danny, you can't let them forget!

I truly don't understand this post. We just beat a top 35 team by 17 and put up 96 points on a top 20 defense in the process. Collins scored 27 points.

And yet, people are still on here nitpicking Manning for not coaching the perfect game.

This is why revisiting this thread after each game is stupid. People insist on trying to make career assessments (either positively or negatively) after each game. Let the season play out, and then assess if the program is moving in the right direction or not.

BTW, the loss to Northwestern is looking better as the season progresses. They are now 15-4 (4-2).

We have three very winnable road games in the next 12 days. We need to win two of those.

This is why revisiting this thread after each game is stupid. People insist on trying to make career assessments (either positively or negatively) after each game. Let the season play out, and then assess if the program is moving in the right direction or not.

BTW, the loss to Northwestern is looking better as the season progresses. They are now 15-4 (4-2).

....but is he credible or not? There's 28 pages, surely there is an answer.

Back