• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Just so everyone is clear (in case you haven't been paying attention for 20 years. I do have a narrative and I've been screaming it the whole time. Playing in a huge stadium won't work for Wake. Neither will hiring old people as coaches.

We've tried and failed now since the late 90s implementing Wrangor's narrative. It didn't work. What's the downside to trying mine?

A 6th place finish in the Southern Conference.

Of the head basketball coaches since I have been following Wake:

Bones - fired, rumor: affair with a secretary in the religion department

McCloskey - moved on to the pros because when Wake messed up Billy Packer's recruitment of Artis Gilmore, Packer quit and Jack couldn't recruit too well, the cupboard was bare

Tacy - quit

Staak - fired, rumor: impregnating cheerleader/s

Odom - quit

Proser - died of a heart attack

Dino - fired, rumor: affairs with staff/coeds?

[name redacted] - fired, rumor: no one would admit to an affair with him

Manning: ?

notice a pattern? our administrators seem to have one track minds

Last edited:
You all just keep hating on Miller and saying that are current status is "facts" and change "can't happen."

Enablers. Complicit.

Miller has UNCG 9-2 in his league. (RPI 92)
We have Wake 2-10 in our league. (RPI 116)

Wes is coaching a Southern Conference school several years in. Wake is an ACC school with an AD who has had 20+ years to build and a coach in year 4. And we're getting smart ass comments on here about Miller. Ya'll have some problems--and, as a result, so does our school.

Tacy - quit, rumor: affair with Gene Hooks wife.

Odom - quit, rumor: had an affair with Tim Duncan, Loren Woods got jealous and transferred

Proser - died of a heart attack (allegedly)

[Redacted] - fired, rumor: no one would admit to an affair with him

notice a pattern? our administrators seem to have dirty minds, maybe they need to get laid?

Might as well go all in

Wes is coaching a Southern Conference school several years in. Wake is an ACC school with an AD who has had 20+ years to build and a coach in year 4. And we're getting smart ass comments on here about Miller. Ya'll have some problems--and, as a result, so does our school.

This.

You misunderstood. I literally think the downside of going with your plan is that we leave the ACC, join the Southern Conference and finish as low as sixth place. We’ll be a top 3 team most years but we’ll have a couple where we finish middle of the pack.

Tacy - quit

Odom - quit

Proser - died of a heart attack

[Redacted] - fired, rumor: no one would admit to an affair with him

notice a pattern? our administrators seem to have dirty minds, maybe they need to get laid?

maybe we should hire a female coach

You all just keep hating on Miller and saying that are current status is "facts" and change "can't happen."

Enablers. Complicit.

If WF was going to look to the low-major SoCon for its next coach (couldn't find a coach that has jumped from the SoCon to a Power V school in the last 10 years), why wouldn't ETSU's Steve Forbes be the better candidate? Forbes' ETSU team won the SoCon last year (beating UNC-G), they are presently unbeaten in the SoCon (12-0), and his ETSU teams have finished ahead of UNC-G every year. BTW, ETSU hired Forbes off of Greg Marshall's staff at Wichita State.

Last edited:
Wes has had more unsuccessful season in the Southern Conference than successful ones. If Wes was anywhere near as good as DR alleges, this wouldn't be true.

You know i like Miller, but lets evaluate his record a bit....

Year 1: 11-11
Year 2: 9-22
Year 3: 14-18
Year 4: 11-22
Year 5: 15-19
Year 6: 25-10
Year 7: 18-6 (thus far)

This is a similar theme in most coaches timeline. There is often a program building time for a new coach to implement his system, and recruit the players that work for his system. If UNC-G fires Miller after year 5 (which by all accounts would look completely reasonable when observing his record), they would have made a big mistake. I think we will see a similar turnaround with Manning next season. Just because a coach's record is not up to par, doesn't mean improvements aren't being made in the program. There are more factors to consider.

Wrangor shows Wes' record but doesn't show that HOF Wes has come in 5th place or lower in the weak ass SoCon four times in his seven years. Sorry, that's not good.

Wrangor shows Wes' record but doesn't show that HOF Wes has come in 5th place or lower in the weak ass SoCon four times in his seven years. Sorry, that's not good.

I think I made his record the first 5 years pretty clearly underwhelming.

All I did was add some context. I didn't challenge you at all.

Steve Forbes is 52 years old. And he has no loyalty to Wake.

He is the classic example of who not to hire. That is the classic Wellman hire. No upside. If he wins quickly, he's gone. If he wins slowly, he's dead. If he loses, we keep him around 3 years too long.

We have to get out of that mold. It's a proven disaster at Wake.

He is the classic example of who not to hire. That is the classic Wellman hire. No upside. If he wins quickly, he's gone. If he wins slowly, he's dead. If he loses, we keep him around 3 years too long.

So, Forbes is a "proven disaster" that regularly kicks Wes Miller's ass?

BTW, not sure how or why loyalty to Wake should play any role in the decision of WF next coach. Really short-sighted and a recipe for disaster to limit a coaching search to candidates with "loyalty to WF". Got to find the best candidate. Rusty Larue might score high on the "loyalty to WF" quotient doesn't make him a great candidate to be an ACC head coach.

FWIW, WF does not have a history of coaches using WF as a stepping stone. Those that win here stay here.

Last edited:

Still waiting on my narrative. You can't call me out as disagreeing with you for 20 years unless you have something upon which we have consistently disagreed upon. The only thing we disagree upon right now is:

Should we fire Manning right now?
Should we spend every awake hour complaining about things that we have no ability to change?

Not weird at all. It’s actually very rare that two brothers would play the same style of basketball. The Morris brothers are really the only two I can even think of that have similar games.

I dunno, I don't really think of the Currys, the Lopezes, the Plumlees, the Collinses, as doing wildly different things on a basketball court.

Different levels of ability yes, of course, but it's not like one Steph was a shooter while Seth was a great driver to the hoop or something

Back