• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Unbelievable that people think this way. If so, then why do we pay coaches millions of dollars?

Manning is proof that coaching matters. In game coaching is just a small part of it. What is taught at practice, defensive & offensive schemes, and improvement of players is essential to a good program.

Look at NC State under Keats vs Gott. Just look at UVA. They recruit at a level far below their win totals.

Really?

You apparently did not watch our game Saturday against Notre Dame. The final five minutes was ALL ABOUT coaching. One was far superior to the other. I don't, for the life of me, understand why some of you constantly make excuses for a coach who is obviously in WAY over his head.

No excuses. We have inferior talent.

Nah man. You just gotta do a little recruiting and roll out the ball. We just don't have the talent of a GA Southern, Liberty, or Drake.

The same people that say the 2016 class is a bust, say the talent level is not the problem. It is.

The same people that say the 2016 class is a bust, say the talent level is not the problem. It is.

Talent level can be a problem AND coaching can be important. Both can be and are true. Your 90% assertion is absurd.

Talent level can be a problem AND coaching can be important. Both can be and are true. Your 90% assertion is absurd.

I don't care if Manning goes tomorrow. When he had better talent he made The Dance. Did he not?

I don't care if Manning goes tomorrow. When he had better talent he made The Dance. Did he not?

Well, like duh. More talent is more betterer. That doesn't mean that coaching is mostly meaningless as you stated.

Well, like duh. More talent is more betterer. That doesn't mean that coaching is mostly meaningless as you stated.

It's not meaningless. It's over rated. I'd take the better recruiter every time. You can't over rate recruiting, because whoever recruits the best players wins the most games. Is our tennis championship due to coaching or do we just have superior tennis players.

Let's take Ratface for an example. His first three teams sucked ass. Then Duke got better players. He didn't coach differently. It's that simple.

So you think Coach K has not gotten better at coaching during his career? You think coaches are just who they are from the moment they step on a campus? What an ignorant take. Danny's had 4 years here with no improvement. He snuck into the tourney once with a team that should have been even better.

K's talent has improved more than his coaching in the last decade. He's one of the 10 best coaches to ever play the game, but they are at their best when loaded with talent.

So you think Coach K has not gotten better at coaching during his career? You think coaches are just who they are from the moment they step on a campus? What an ignorant take. Danny's had 4 years here with no improvement. He snuck into the tourney once with a team that should have been even better.

The evidence would suggest that team finished where they should have considering the talent level.

I think there's a cap on how much coaching matters at the highest levels, but bad/inept coaching can absolutely derail a program, regardless of talent level

Coach K is always a silly name to throw out in these arguments.

Not saying I agree w/ mack, but why not use someone like Bruce Pearl as an example? Auburn is MUCH better this year now that they have better & more experienced players. They were awful his first 2 seasons, OK last year, and now his best players are Sophs and Juniors and they've been outstanding (especially relative to expectations).

Pearl was very good at Milwaukee & Tennessee (shadiness, or orangeness, aside)... But took him some time to get it going at Auburn.

Again, I am not saying I agree w/ mack... Just saying there are some better examples you could use than K.

Or State's transformation from last year to this year, with a less talented roster

Back