• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Can we dispel of the myth that State has a less talented roster?

Their front court is leaps and bounds more talented. Their back court is on par.

They lost their three leading scorers from last year, including a top 10 pick.

And all the frontcourt players were on the roster last year

Coach K is always a silly name to throw out in these arguments.

Not saying I agree w/ mack, but why not use someone like Bruce Pearl as an example? Auburn is MUCH better this year now that they have better & more experienced players. They were awful his first 2 seasons, OK last year, and now his best players are Sophs and Juniors and they've been outstanding (especially relative to expectations).

Pearl was very good at Milwaukee & Tennessee (shadiness, or orangeness, aside)... But took him some time to get it going at Auburn.

Again, I am not saying I agree w/ mack... Just saying there are some better examples you could use than K.

Pearl will likely be out at Auburn after this year.

This. State lost an NBA lottery pick and got much better. Coaching.

Yep. #coachingmatters. Keatts is the real deal and many of us saw that just a few games into the season.

DM has said that Odom has come to our practices- but there is absolutely no evidence that whatever defensive input he has given is actually imparted by DM to the team.

11 wins at this point in the season with the talent on the team should be cause for immediate termination.

We could use Miller at UNCG as an example. He has better players than the rest of their conference. Ergo he wins. Donald Ross asserts he can bring superior ACC talent to Wake Forest. He might be right. It was easy on [ name redacted]. He couldn't recruit for shit. We now think Manning has broken through with his incoming class. I guess we will see.

Yep. #coachingmatters. Keatts is the real deal and many of us saw that just a few games into the season.

DM has said that Odom has come to our practices- but there is absolutely no evidence that whatever defensive input he has given is actually imparted by DM to the team.

11 wins at this point in the season with the talent on the team should be cause for immediate termination.

Except you over rate the talent.

I think there's a cap on how much coaching matters at the highest levels, but bad/inept coaching can absolutely derail a program, regardless of talent level

Nothing can derail an ACC program faster than inferior talent.

If coaching ability is so sacrosanct, why do so many cheat so much to get the best talent? When you have answered that you will sleep better.

Or State's transformation from last year to this year, with a less talented roster

I think Keatts has done a great job and he deserves the kudos he is getting.

However, you can absolutely debate the roster last year vs. this year. I'd give the edge to last year's roster (I mean, they had Dennis Smith FFS), but there are some significant differences elsewhere.

They lost their top 3 in minutes per game (Smith, Henderson, Rowan)... But this year's top 2 in minutes are roster additions (Freeman & Beverly), Yurtseven is much improved, and Markell Johnson is distributing the ball better from PG than Smith did last year.

No doubt, a lot of that has to do w/ Keatts, but I definitely underestimated the impact that Freeman would have (and the improvement of Yurtseven).

I think Keatts has done a great job and he deserves the kudos he is getting.

However, you can absolutely debate the roster last year vs. this year. I'd give the edge to last year's roster (I mean, they had Dennis Smith FFS), but there are some significant differences elsewhere.

They lost their top 3 in minutes per game (Smith, Henderson, Rowan)... But this year's top 2 in minutes are roster additions (Freeman & Beverly), Yurtseven is much improved, and Markell Johnson is distributing the ball better from PG than Smith did last year.

No doubt, a lot of that has to do w/ Keatts, but I definitely underestimated the impact that Freeman would have (and the improvement of Yurtseven).

Coaching has a lot to do with better team chemistry as well.

This conversation reminds me of the annual board conversation on how the star system in football recruiting is or is not predictive of future win/loss records. Then Alabama and Clemson play for the national championship and some would opine it's the great coaching. I just think that's bull shit. People slam "the Blue Bloods" in college basketball who win because they get the best players. Im just saying no shit. Coaching is over rated.

If coaching ability is so sacrosanct, why do so many cheat so much to get the best talent? When you have answered that you will sleep better.

Of course they both matter. You're just taking up an extreme position that one is irrelevant, which is dumb

Crap coaching can derail elite talent as we saw with Dino.

This conversation reminds me of the annual board conversation on how the star system in football recruiting is or is not predictive of future win/loss records. Then Alabama and Clemson play for the national championship and some would opine it's the great coaching. I just think that's bull shit. People slam "the Blue Bloods" in college basketball who win because they get the best players. Im just saying no shit. Coaching is over rated.

I guess, if you like Manning, you have to assume coaching does not matter.

There is no other way to defend him.

Back