• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Keatts went on tour to meet all the Wolfpack Clubs, alumni, boosters etc., right after he was hired - for several weeks.

He got asked “so what have you been doing thus far beyond bringing in transfers?” And he said...

We are getting them in shape. Like stone cold dead serious, we are getting them in shape.

If that really is true then you are in denial. Coaching matters plain and simple. Recruiting matters, Talent matters and Fundamentals matter. State did lose a lottery pick and did not replace him with equal talent yet somehow they are vastly improved. Coaching matters more than 25%

“Somehow.” See what I just posted.

“Somehow.” See what I just posted.

The "somehow" was a dig at talent being 90% seeing as how State did not upgrade in talent but got better. The posts were 2 minutes apart, I was still typing when you posted. Thanks for straightening me out.

That's why I am so frustrated. We seem to have the talent to compete and Manning seemingly gameplans well enough to have us in pretty much every game until it all falls apart at the fucking end.

Cracking up at the end of matches is the sign of a coach that isn't confident enough in what they are thinking to make decisive decisions and think "to hell with the consequences!" More of a death by inaction, deer in headlights kind of thing.

Sad to see that Manning isn't the guy as I feared as he seems like a good dude that wants to do well by his players. He just doesn't have it as a head coach.

Manning can’t think on his feet at crunch time. He’s too slow upstairs. It’s that simple.

I don't think that is accurate. I think he overthinks and that leads to inaction. He isn't confident enough to decide one thing and go with it. That is why we see a lack of adjustments. Otherwise, you'd see shit being thrown at a wall to try to figure out what sticks. Manning is thinking through everything but just can't be the Type-A personality that says, "OK! THIS is what we are going to do. Period." Doesn't have confidence in his own thought process.

He isn't out there just thinking, "gee wizz guise what should i do george, what should i do?" Come on...

Fully expect another road loss against an inferior GT team that we have already beaten. :(

#westillsuck

Pretty sure GMc hitting the 80 footer will go down as the apex of Manning’s credibility. Been pretty consistently downhill since.

Well it could be 85%. I'll give you that. I just have this fantasy that says just maybe you win far more games with players who are consensus considered better at a given sport than most who play it.

I’ve run the numbers, look back in this thread...Regression analysis indicates that over the last 16 season’s at Wake, excluding the Bz years, talent on the roster accounts for about 60-65% of the variation in end of the season Kenpom rank. When you include Bz it drops to the about 20%.

I don't think that is accurate. I think he overthinks and that leads to inaction. He isn't confident enough to decide one thing and go with it. That is why we see a lack of adjustments. Otherwise, you'd see shit being thrown at a wall to try to figure out what sticks. Manning is thinking through everything but just can't be the Type-A personality that says, "OK! THIS is what we are going to do. Period." Doesn't have confidence in his own thought process.

He isn't out there just thinking, "gee wizz guise what should i do george, what should i do?" Come on...

I agree with this to an extent. I think a lot of end game situations are a cluster fuck and that’s coaching, but we do have a solid group of incredibly un-clutch players who miss everything, even wide open looks late in games. I think his “at the end of the day, people have to hit shots” attitude stems from him being such a prolific basketball player that he might not fully understand that he has to make adjustments for players that aren’t as talented as he was. The players have demonstrated that they cannot make adjustments on their own so that leaves it to the coach to do it for them.

I agree with this to an extent. I think a lot of end game situations are a cluster fuck and that’s coaching, but we do have a solid group of incredibly un-clutch players who miss everything, even wide open looks late in games. I think his “at the end of the day, people have to hit shots” attitude stems from him being such a prolific basketball player that he might not fully understand that he has to make adjustments for players that aren’t as talented as he was. The players have demonstrated that they cannot make adjustments on their own so that leaves it to the coach to do it for them.
Mainly disagree.

Players take on the personality of their coach.

Manning gets tight and indecisive at the end of games. So do his players.

Makes perfect sense to me. Players mimic their coach, especially at the college and bow level.

Any teacher has to manage a lot of unclutch students. That’s part of the job. The only difference is that most teachers make about 3% of Danny Manning’s salary and probably get better performances out of their students in the process.

Plus
This isn't streetball. That might work here and there, but players need a plan. A plan they're invested and believe in.

Players at a high level don't want to feel like they are playing pick up YMCA ball.

When coach communicates a plan that he's confident in, players won't be tight and will hit shots.

Plus
This isn't streetball. That might work here and there, but players need a plan. A plan they're invested and believe in.

Players at a high level don't want to feel like they are playing pick up YMCA ball.
Here is the plan
UNC -66 McDonald's All Americans

Duke- 61 McDonald's All Americans

Or you can call it coaching genius.

Any teacher has to manage a lot of unclutch students. That’s part of the job. The only difference is that most teachers make about 3% of Danny Manning’s salary and probably get better performances out of their students in the process.

Well yeah, I didn’t say it was a good thing

Back