• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

DM is not a good basketball coach. He has to go. I've been one of the earlier DM out proponents.

DM is a class act and a good guy. how this is handled is very important. He does not deserve viterol.

He needs to go soon. The longer this goes on, the uglier it will get.

If we want to avoid vitriol, it needs to be done after this season.

He needs to go soon. The longer this goes on, the uglier it will get.

If we want to avoid vitriol, it needs to be done after this season.

Yes. Let’s get it done now. It will only get worse from here. There are many HS coaches that are better tactically than Manning. It really would be hard to do much worse...although Ronnie and Hatch may try.

like townie below I sense retention. We all know Ronnie does not admit his failings and doubles down to prove he is right until he is forced.

Wake should bite the bullet and let Manning go.

He has proven that he is not capable of coaching at the ACC level. This team started 0-3 against Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Drake. Then, in the final game of the regular season looked even worse with 20 plus turnovers.

Manning has proven that he cannot teach offense or defence and has consistently proven that he cannot motivate anybody. He coaches with no passion at all. The only animation he shows is when he strains his neck which I assume is a result of the fact that the neck sizes of his tailored shirts are too small.

It is time to hire a proven winner with some emotion on the side lines.

I didn’t get to see the game but Crawford had 8 TO’s. That is unbelievable. He also was 7/15 from the floor. I realize some of you like to slam Manning but Crawford has been awful. He’s a JR. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if our starting PG situation looks very different next year. Manning made some pretty stern comments about Crawford’s propensity for turning it over in his freshman year. No team can win when the PG is this ball hungry and yet horrible. I doubt Manning forgot that in the last two years.

I didn’t get to see the game but Crawford had 8 TO’s. That is unbelievable. He also was 7/15 from the floor. I realize some of you like to slam Manning but Crawford has been awful. He’s a JR. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if our starting PG situation looks very different next year. Manning made some pretty stern comments about Crawford’s propensity for turning it over in his freshman year. No team can win when the PG is this ball hungry and yet horrible. I doubt Manning forgot that in the last two years.

If Manning hasn't done shit about it since his Freshman year besides make some stern comments, why do you think that changes next year? He never once sat Crawford for boneheaded turnovers this year. He had a chance to do something about it and didn't.

Crawford is a poor man's Dennis Smith, without the NBA potential. He has good numbers in points and assists, just like Dennis, but is a poor defender, except for the highlite reel occasional steal, does not play team ball, and tries to take over the game unsuccessfully at the end. I believe we finished with the same ACC record as State last year, and in both cases the teams likely would have been better off without Crawford or Smith.

First of all Manning believes if Crawford has 5 to's or less he can live with it. Today, he had at least 3 charges maybe 4. Compared to most of the team he was at least trying to keep us in the game. Unless more than 3 players step up what do we expect? A perfect game when you are carrying the team?

Crawford 22 points (yes 8 to's), Moore 12 and 13 (note he had 9 and 10 in the first half, only 6 shots in the game), Donovan 8 pts 5 rebs and 1 to.

That's 3 players that kept us in the game.

Woods 0 pts 3 TO's
Childress 2-9 3 to's
Chaundee 1-9 2 to's
MW 1-4 0 to's
Sarr 1-2 2 to's

I think I'd point finger in a lot of different places than Crawford today (and I did watch the game)

If Manning hasn't done shit about it since his Freshman year besides make some stern comments, why do you think that changes next year? He never once sat Crawford for boneheaded turnovers this year. He had a chance to do something about it and didn't.

Yep

First of all Manning believes if Crawford has 5 to's or less he can live with it. Today, he had at least 3 charges maybe 4. Compared to most of the team he was at least trying to keep us in the game. Unless more than 3 players step up what do we expect? A perfect game when you are carrying the team?

Crawford 22 points (yes 8 to's), Moore 12 and 13 (note he had 9 and 10 in the first half, only 6 shots in the game), Donovan 8 pts 5 rebs and 1 to.

That's 3 players that kept us in the game.

Woods 0 pts 3 TO's
Childress 2-9 3 to's
Chaundee 1-9 2 to's
MW 1-4 0 to's
Sarr 1-2 2 to's

I think I'd point finger in a lot of different places than Crawford today (and I did watch the game)

Fair enough. And I'll watch a replay of the game. But Crawford has been enigmatic all season. That said, we do need a few other player to step up. I also think Manning has been hesitant with Crawford because Crawford may just fold up. Crawford has had some interesting reactions to plays this year. Reminds me a lot of Devin mentally.

Our only hope next year is to use our height and play a WVU/VCU style of defense. That will never happen. Maybe hire Thad Matta to reverse the curse

And for those that didn't watch the game they interviewed Collins during the game, he said BC was the key to the game and team. And as a side note the team is staying in Atlanta to attend the Hawks game on Sunday.

JC was all in on Manning, didn't sound upset about not playing more as a freshman.

And for those that didn't watch the game they interviewed Collins during the game, he said BC was the key to the game and team. And as a side note the team is staying in Atlanta to attend the Hawks game on Sunday.

JC was all in on Manning, didn't sound upset about not playing more as a freshman.

Lol. He's making bank in the NBA. Did you expect him to spout off a bunch of negativity?

[Redacted]'s players liked him. That's what players do. They like the guys who give them scholarships and a chance to play college basketball.

Forgetting the won loss record for a moment, the remarkable thing about this team is they Never Got Better. That is damn near impossible. If you go watch our first three games, it's exactly the same thing you saw yesterday. Doral got better as a player but that is negated by a season long inability at basic entry passes. Half decent teams don't turn the ball over at this point in the season like all coaches expect early on. It's ugly to realize in our current situation, when they roll the ball out next November, that's your team and whatever that is isn't going to change.

Lol. He's making bank in the NBA. Did you expect him to spout off a bunch of negativity?

[Redacted]'s players liked him. That's what players do. They like the guys who give them scholarships and a chance to play college basketball.

Always the possibility. Did you hear the interview? Sounded genuine, he didn't have to say BC was the key to the team. I know we want to pick at every thing about Manning at this point, but when we hear something from a former player that knows what's going on, a little harder to discount than internet jockey's.

Always the possibility. Did you hear the interview? Sounded genuine, he didn't have to say BC was the key to the team. I know we want to pick at every thing about Manning at this point, but when we hear something from a former player that knows what's going on, a little harder to discount than internet jockey's.

What does he know? How many games do you think he has watched? How many box scores has he looked at? How much time has he spent reading articles and discussing the team?

Our team sucks. He likes the coach. He is a Pro, but he still has very little experience/perspective. Most players think their coach is great even when the team sucks. Again, [name redacted]'s players liked him and didn't speak poorly of him either. Collins, in particular, is going to think Manning is great. None of this means anything with regards to whether Manning can actually successfully act as head coach of Wake Forest. We pick at Manning because he's unsuccessful. There are positives to point to for those who wish to defend another year, but the opinion of Collins ranks way down the list.

I believe donaldross has alluded to JC's family not being huge fans of Manning.

If Manning is relieved of his duties now, Wellman can say with a straight face that this was a successful transition from the Bzzzz years, which Wellman of course created. In 4 years, Manning would have taken the team back to the NCAA tournament, greatly increased the level of recruiting, and successfully signed a top-15 class coming in next year. The new coach can look forward to inheriting a roster with a lot of potential, and future facility upgrades as a serious chip on the recruiting trail.

When to let a coach go is very simple. When your goal is to compete for conference championships, and deep runs into the NCAA tournament, and you know the person who you pay $ millions each year is not a good enough coach to get it done, it is time to move on. Manning is one of the three worst coaches in the ACC, and we're not going to succeed hoping to out-recruit UNC and Duke. That thought is laughable.

ETA: We will lose on Tuesday, and Manning will be back next season. I'll be absolutely shocked if he's not.

Back