• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

No coach alive could make Key, Thompson or Wilbekin into even mediocre defenders.

You could hide one of them, but not all of them.

In the scheme of things, very few knockdown shooters and scorers like Key are also decent defenders. He can help the team if we have other guys who can play D around him.

I think the Randolph Childress experiment has failed. He is a horrible guards coach. When we fire Danny we need to make sure to clean house entirely.

No, no I don't. You and Creamy are the only two people still trotting out that story.

Yeah we do though.

Dino challenged Wellman's ego and in return Wellman fired a coach coming off back to back NCAA tournament appearances and a winning percentage of .750. He then decided to hire his old buddy who has been a disaster everywhere he had been. He last and final act was an attempt to smear Dino's name to try to hide his own complete incompetence.

The result is going to be a decade plus of horrendous basketball.

Yeah we do though.

Dino challenged Wellman's ego and in return Wellman fired a coach coming off back to back NCAA tournament appearances and a winning percentage of .750. He then decided to hire his old buddy who has been a disaster everywhere he had been. He last and final act was an attempt to smear Dino's name to try to hide his own complete incompetence.

A decade long disaster due to the pettiness of one small man.

Yeah we do though.

SO much this. Dino got abused in an effort to make a shitty coach not seem so shitty. It is disgusting.

Gaudio has some of you right where he wants you. Without ever stepping back into the coaching ring, he continues to look good in comparison. He was a horrible coach living off of Prosser's athletes. Any coach worth his salt at his age would have tried coaching again.

Gaudio has some of you right where he wants you. Without ever stepping back into the coaching ring, he continues to look good in comparison. He was a horrible coach living off of Prosser's athletes. Any coach worth his salt at his age would have tried coaching again.

His teams played defense, so he was at least a half good coach and way better than anyone hired since.

Could be he is happy with a TV gig over dealing with the stress of coaching (that took his best friend). Could also be that he does not wish to deal with asshole AD's that smear with innuendo.

I doubt he feels he has to get back into coaching.

His teams played defense, so he was at least a half good coach and way better than anyone hired since.

Could be he is happy with a TV gig over dealing with the stress of coaching (that took his best friend). Could also be that he does not wish to deal with asshole AD's that smear with innuendo.

I doubt he feels he has to get back into coaching.

I'm sure a TV gig is less stressful than coaching. That said, it likely doesn't pay nearly as well and, again, anyone with a desire to coach would have gotten back into it.

I don't think you can make those assumptions about why he didn't get back into coaching. If I had to guess though is that he felt so burned by Wellman after the death of a close friend he lost the desire.

I'm sure a TV gig is less stressful than coaching. That said, it likely doesn't pay nearly as well and, again, anyone with a desire to coach would have gotten back into it.

So you think he is hurting for money. Something to be said for quality of life.

Pay can be comparable to lead assistant on a Power 5 team, and let's face it, that should be Dino's ceiling. If Gaudio were just a little better color commentator he could be killing it right now.

Lol. Where does Dino want me? He was a guy forced into a shitty situation after Skip literally died on the job. After Wellman made the mistake of not naming him interim, he was then forced out, arguably unfairly at the time, at the place where he watched his friend and mentor die. He was the target of a very public smear campaign about team culture and a private smear campaign accusing him of all sorts of improprieties. It's not hard to imagine that coaching might have lost some appeal for the guy.

It's a sad human being that still continues to drag Dino through the mud while remaining loyal to Wellman and his choices over the last 8 years.

There have been lots of coaches turned commentators. The best ones have gotten back into coaching. Even Steve Lavin jumped back in. Urban Meyer sure could have used less stress (Dr.'s orders). He didn't stay a commentator for long.

If anyone wanted him. Dino would take the job in a heartbeat. Have you even heard that any decent job was considering him?

He's a terrible head coach, but a decent assistant.

Dino is 60 years old and has money in the bank. Has a better than decent gig talking about basketball and getting paid. His kids are grown and is probably a grandfather. No need to jump back into the rat race that is college basketball coaching.

Lol. Where does Dino want me? He was a guy forced into a shitty situation after Skip literally died on the job. After Wellman made the mistake of not naming him interim, he was then forced out, arguably unfairly at the time, at the place where he watched his friend and mentor die. He was the target of a very public smear campaign about team culture and a private smear campaign accusing him of all sorts of improprieties. It's not hard to imagine that coaching might have lost some appeal for the guy.

It's a sad human being that still continues to drag Dino through the mud while remaining loyal to Wellman and his choices over the last 8 years.

Racer bringing straight truth to these boards.

If anyone wanted him. Dino would take the job in a heartbeat. Have you even heard that any decent job was considering him?

He's a terrible head coach, but a decent assistant.

From the sample sizes you've been provided, would you say definitively that Danny Manning is a better head coach than Dino Gaudio?

Dino is 60 years old and has money in the bank. Has a better than decent gig talking about basketball and getting paid. His kids are grown and is probably a grandfather. No need to jump back into the rat race that is college basketball coaching.

I ran into Dino and his wife at a movie theater in CLT back in 2011 when he was getting started with ESPN. I introduced myself as a Deac, thanked him for the job he had done and we chatted for a few minutes about Wake, Skip, etc. What stood out to me in those few minutes was that he seemed relieved.

He was forced into a job he didn't apply for under the most unimaginable and horrible circumstances. RJ's continual harping on him for not pursuing additional head coaching opportunities is just lame.

Back