• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Watching UNCG last night, their KenPom numbers definitely back up their play. They're a rag-tag group of players with very little offensive skill (outside of Alonso), but they can sure as hell defend.

The best player in their crap league was playing on one leg. It was appropriate that ETSU is called the Buccaneers.

At this point, I feel that either Pat Kelsey or Wes Miller would be slam dunk hires for Wake. I have really been with CD1 on the Pat Kelsey train, but Miller has really grown on me. Danny will probably get another season, but if I was Wellman, I would be putting out feelers to see what is out there as this should be a good market for schools looking for coaches. The only big job open is Louisville and the rumor is that Mack is going to take the job.

At this point, I feel that either Pat Kelsey or Wes Miller would be slam dunk hires for Wake. I have really been with CD1 on the Pat Kelsey train, but Miller has really grown on me. Danny will probably get another season, but if I was Wellman, I would be putting out feelers to see what is out there as this should be a good market for schools looking for coaches. The only big job open is Louisville and the rumor is that Mack is going to take the job.

Yeah Miller has really grown on me too. I would be perfectly content with either, but I would also want to explore all possible options. The only issue with putting out feelers if you're Wellman is that if Manning doesn't work out and he isn't here after next season, he will likely be hired by whoever the next Wake Forest AD is (I don't know first hand how turnover really goes. Assume the new guy would have a few different targets in mind than Wellman).

The only big job open is Louisville and the rumor is that Mack is going to take the job.

If true, then suddenly Xavier is open and a better job than Wake. I assume the Uconn job is going to be open and one would argue that it is a better job than Wake. That would be also ignoring the FBI investigation which potentially opens up other options more highly regarded than WF.

Had not thought much about it but the fbi investigation is text book reasoning for keep manning even past next season. Manning is good enough, at least he's clean, trending up (maybe), but but recruiting, and besides with all the job openings we'll have to over pay so let's just wait it out. Ronnie's cronnies will eat it up.

If the FBI investigation is as earth-shaking as some reports claim (not convinced it will be) and if WF remains unscathed, whomever coaches WF basketball will have an unprecedented short-term recruiting opportunity/advantage. Depending on your view, this could be used an argument to keep Manning or to move on to another candidate who is more likely to be the WF coach for next 5 years.

It Xavier opens, Kelsey gets and takes that job—which is the only real reason I preferred Miller to Kelsey years ago. If Miller gets the Wake job the only way he leaves is getting fired.

Xavier isn't hiring Kelsey. They can and would do much better. Or at least way more proven.

If Kelsey wanted to move up the ladder quickly he should've gone to UMass

This was the same fucked up logic that forced Wes to UNC when he wanted to be at Wake. Who cares who his dad is. We should hire regardless and fire regardless. The fact that he grew up a Wake fan only helps us keep him if/when he wins.

Shit, DR is starting to make sense...

It Xavier opens, Kelsey gets and takes that job—which is the only real reason I preferred Miller to Kelsey years ago. If Miller gets the Wake job the only way he leaves is getting fired.
Lol, Xavier can do waaaay better than Pat Kelsey.

Xavier isn't hiring Kelsey. They can and would do much better. Or at least way more proven.

If Kelsey wanted to move up the ladder quickly he should've gone to UMass

You have a bet there sir. Xavier makes great hires. Not some BS old dude you say is “better”. There is a reason X is where they are in this world and we are where we are. They make smart decisions. Kelsey is to X what Miller is to us. They hire him and he’ll be there 20 years. Watch.

man remember when wake was CLEARLY a better job than xavier and we could hire their coaches?

LOWF is real when freakin XAVIER seems like an unattainable pinnacle of a hoops program for wake

Why would we not make a run at Thad Matta RIGHT NOW? If he is healthy he is a home run hire and is only 50. He is talking with Ole Miss for crying out loud.

Back