• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

My view on White is that Wellman probably needed to sell a compelling vision of the possibilities of Wake Forest basketball in order to counteract the feedback from White's dad. I don't believe Wellman was in the headspace to do that because of his stubbornness with [name redacted].

I also bet Wellman was throwing around weak numbers which further confirmed his dad's view that Wake wasn't serious about winning at basketball.

My view on White is that Wellman probably needed to sell a compelling vision of the possibilities of Wake Forest basketball in order to counteract the feedback from White's dad. I don't believe Wellman was in the headspace to do that because of his stubbornness with [name redacted].

I also bet Wellman was throwing around weak numbers which further confirmed his dad's view that Wake wasn't serious about winning at basketball.

Is this based on any info?

Is this based on any info?

Nope, just speculation.

Well, we do know that Manning made $1.3M in his first year and $1.7M in his second year. Compare this to $2.0M per year for White at Florida.

Analysis from BSD: Wake Forest Basketball Must Get Results Next Year

The time for “setting the culture”, “building the foundation”, and “weeding out the bad seeds” on the Wake Forest basketball team is over. It is time to win, and it needs to occur in the 2018-19 season if head coach Danny Manning is to return to Winston-Salem as the Wake Forest head coach for his sixth season.

Pretty good article.

I wish the admittedly simple comparison to [Redacted] had been a little less “simple” but I’ve read such drivel enough on here that it doesn’t bother me anymore. The lede was also a lame attempt to link the two. It understated (or glossed over) how good we were in 2016 and overstated Donovan’s importance to next year’s team. And the “by the way I’ve heard rumblings” nonsense, though typical for BSD, is amateurish.

Those nitpicks aside, it was good summary of where things stand and what Manning needs to do next year.

1. The comparison was to a point simple. It doesn’t matter how you want to shape it, Manning has been 3 games better than the worst coach in a Wake history through 4 seasons. Context obviously matters, but at the end of the day that’s where we are.

2. Donovan would have had a good role next year with his skill set. Losing him is an indictment on the coaching staff.

3. I think it was important to note that the transfers and departures likely aren’t done yet, and without naming anybody, because things are still not “finalized” that was the best way to address It. Sorry if you found that “amateurish” and “typical of BSD”. We are after all amateurs so I don’t take offense to that.

Appreciate you taking the time to read.

Wake should be looking to fill the open 'ships with a grad transfer wing shooter, a 2018 PF or PG and a regular transfer, again PG or PF. PG will be a need because I am not optimistic that Jamie Lewis will emerge from the shadows and be a player at Wake. Anything he contributes will be a pleasant surprise.

1. The comparison was to a point simple. It doesn’t matter how you want to shape it, Manning has been 3 games better than the worst coach in a Wake history through 4 seasons. Context obviously matters, but at the end of the day that’s where we are.

2. Donovan would have had a good role next year with his skill set. Losing him is an indictment on the coaching staff.

3. I think it was important to note that the transfers and departures likely aren’t done yet, and without naming anybody, because things are still not “finalized” that was the best way to address It. Sorry if you found that “amateurish” and “typical of BSD”. We are after all amateurs so I don’t take offense to that.

Appreciate you taking the time to read.

1. I agree. More than one definition of simple though.

2. With Woods’ departure he would have been our 8th man. His departure was no more an indictment than any other transfer.

3. Similar to the “by the way” fiasco, it smacked of a smug “I know something you don’t know” attitude that comes with greater but still limited access. If you have a source in or close to the program that has indicated more transfers are coming but you don’t feel comfortable naming names, then say that. How many more transfers? When should we expect to hear? How reliable is the source? Are we taking about starters or reserves? If BSD can’t or isn’t willing to answer those questions then they should have left that part out.

Wake should be looking to fill the open 'ships with a grad transfer wing shooter, a 2018 PF or PG and a regular transfer, again PG or PF. PG will be a need because I am not optimistic that Jamie Lewis will emerge from the shadows and be a player at Wake. Anything he contributes will be a pleasant surprise.

I don’t think we “need” to fill the scholarships at all. If we can find significant upgrades in the grad transfer market over Wright (as the 4th guard) and Sunday (as the 3rd big) then go for it, especially the latter. If not then pick up a PF/C late in the 2018 class and call it a day.

Mrs. Manning is that you? :tard:

Nothing in that post was really a defense of Manning. In fact, similar to Manning’s teams at Wake you won’t find a strong defense of Manning in any of my posts. He has some major flaws that limit his long term upside and his performance this year was abysmal.

Back