• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I'll call that for $100. Loser donates to the boards. The only fair way to compare is using the ACC record. Bz was 6-12 in his last year. That means that to have a better record next year we need to be 7-11 or better in the ACC....or if you want to include the ACC Tournament, Bz was 7-13.

Are we on?

Yeah, I like that bet - I was about to post I wasn't kidding but that [Redacted]'s "winning" record was against a joke of an OOC schedule so it'd have to be by ACC wins.

Don't think we can include the ACC tournament due to the play-in games and whatnot. So just regular season ACC finish, 7 wins or better. Anything less, I lose, no push.

Only catch is I can't donate to the boards. I'd be game for Wake Forest gear from the Deacon shop, a legitimate charity of the winner's choice, or good old paypal. $100.

Our first 10 ACC losses were by a total of 85 points. We've lost our last three by 97.

Say what you want about talent, etc. That is not going in the right direction.
So our last 3 losses are by an average margin of 32.33 points. You still think it's an energy/effort thing?

We just aren't very good.

I am not so sure Manning is better than Bz

At what? Communicating : 100 times better; recruiting: so far, significantly better( MW, Crabb, Greek, Collins, Moore, Crawford = 3+, 3+, 4, 4,4 star level recruits ) on the heels of 4 years of negativity from Bzz is damn good work, plus Chill and likely several 4 star level recruits in sight for 2016 ; game coaching : nothwithstanding 5 losses in the last two possessions and the last 6 games , better than Bzz . Buzz sucked at everything .

So our last 3 losses are by an average margin of 32.33 points. You still think it's an energy/effort thing?

We just aren't very good.

That doesn't explain the first 10 losses, so we were good (better) then?

That doesn't explain the first 10 losses, so we were good (better) then?
Coaches made adjustments on our team of very one-dimensional players.

We came close to winning a couple bigtime games. We lost every single one of them due to multiple reasons. This mentally fragile group of players couldn't handle not having the big win. Chemistry declined. We sucked the rest of the season. I'm ready for DM to bring in some bigtime winners. I'm happy with him so far.

You mean the class that had two transfers and an early NBA entrant?
Possibly?

I was just asking what their respective class ranks were since nobody can tell the future for players when they are signed, but the RSCI rankings show the overall evaluation of players from multiple recruiting sights.

So how does our 2015 class compare to Gott's first class at NC State? I don't know the answer myself, but I'm guessing State's was ranked higher and State was also coming off their own disaster of a coach -- although clearly not to the extent of REDACTED.

My point is, as I'm sure you can tell, is that Manning's first class is just alright and I don't understand anybody jumping through hoops over it. Now, if we land the studs we are in play for in 2016, then I'll be leading the cheer party.

Coaches made adjustments on our team of very one-dimensional players.

And State made reverse adjustments.

No doubt dook and UVA have the capability to blow us out no matter the first game. So what adjustments did BC make from the first time we played them? Oh wait, this was the first time we played them and it was our 3rd worst loss.

We are shooting bad from the field and the foul line, turning it over too much, have no rim protector , play man to man every possession , have frequent defensive breakdowns at the end of the shot clock , and have no leadership on the court. When the Greek and/ or crabb gets hot ( Miami, NCSU, Syracuse, Pitt, FSU) we can compete . Otherwise ,we suck.

We came close to winning a couple bigtime games. We lost every single one of them due to multiple reasons. This mentally fragile group of players couldn't handle not having the big win. Chemistry declined. We sucked the rest of the season. I'm ready for DM to bring in some bigtime winners. I'm happy with him so far.
Makes sense .

And State made reverse adjustments.

No doubt dook and UVA have the capability to blow us out no matter the first game. So what adjustments did BC make from the first time we played them? Oh wait, this was the first time we played them and it was our 3rd worst loss.
BC was up 23 at home on State and ultimately beat them by 16. Home court advantage is a thing in college basketball.

Our defense has been abysmal all conference season. In our "impressive" losses, our defense wasn't the reason we hung around. It was usually due to one player (Devin, Dinos, etc.) having a great offensive performance. In the 2nd half of the season, teams have done a better job exploiting those players' weaknesses (double/triple teaming Devin in the post and forcing him into A LOT of turnovers, playing closer to Dinos/Crab on the 3 point line and forcing them to make contested jumpers or beat the defender off the dribble - which none of our shooters can do, etc.). I'd partially attribute some of the performances in the 2nd half of the season to that. And I'd partially attribute some of it to just random variation (Dinos, Crab, and Wilbekin miss a few open shots they made in those close losses, a couple balls bounce off the rim more to an opposing player than a Wake player, Devin misses a couple layups or hooks around the basket, etc). Shit happens sometimes even for talented teams (Miami @ Duke) and it especially can happen when you aren't a very talented team.

Last edited:
Possibly?

I was just asking what their respective class ranks were since nobody can tell the future for players when they are signed, but the RSCI rankings show the overall evaluation of players from multiple recruiting sights.

So how does our 2015 class compare to Gott's first class at NC State? I don't know the answer myself, but I'm guessing State's was ranked higher and State was also coming off their own disaster of a coach -- although clearly not to the extent of REDACTED.

My point is, as I'm sure you can tell, is that Manning's first class is just alright and I don't understand anybody jumping through hoops over it. Now, if we land the studs we are in play for in 2016, then I'll be leading the cheer party.

Gottfried was hired April 2011, so I'm not sure 2011 would count for him, but the grades are as follows:

NC State - 2011 (NR Nationally)
Tyler Harris
- ESPN: **** - #20 PF - NR Overall
- Scout: *** - #23 PF - NR Overall
- Rivals: *** - #57 F (No SF/PF Breakdown) - #135 Overall
Jaqawn Raymond
- ESPN: ** - #82 SG - NR Overall
- Scout: NR
- Rivals: NR
Thomas de Thaey
- ESPN: NR
- Scout: NR
- Rivals: NR

NC State - 2012 (#10 Nationally)
Rodney Purvis
- ESPN: **** - #5 SG - #20 Overall
- Scout: ***** - #6 SG - #18 Overall
- Rivals: ***** - # 4 G (No PG/SG Breakdown) - #12 Overall
T.J.Warren
- ESPN: **** - #8 SF - #29 Overall
- Scout: **** - #6 SF - #27 Overall
- Rivals: ***** - #7 F - #17 Overall
Tyler Lewis
- ESPN: **** - #5 PG - #44 Overall
- Scout: **** - #7 PG - #56 Overall
- Rivals: **** - #17 G - #48 Overall

Wake Forest - 2015 (#32 Nationally)
Doral Moore
- ESPN: **** - #11 C - #68 Overall
- Scout: **** - #19 C - #80 Overall
- Rivals: **** - #12 C - #50 Overall
Bryant Crawford
- ESPN: **** - #17 PG - NR Overall
- Scout: **** - #10 PG - #87 Overall
- Rivals: **** - #36 G - #80 Overall
John Collins
- ESPN: **** - #36 PF - NR Overall
- Scout: *** - #21 PF - NR Overall
- Rivals: *** - NR PF - NR Overall

Last edited:
Who is jumping over hoops for our 2015 class?

The 2015 class we have signed is a positive, but it definitely is not a program changing class. We cannot afford to sign a mediocre class in 2016.

The 2015 class we have signed is a positive, but it definitely is not a program changing class. We cannot afford to sign a mediocre class in 2016.

Collins is as underrated as Tyler Lewis was overrated, but the point still stands. Need to build on it with another Top 30 class in 2016. Since we don't really know what DM's ceiling will be as a coach, lots are really putting extra emphasis on 2016. But 2017 will prolly prove very important as well as DM certainly won't overload his 2016 "basket" with eggs like a certain sum1 we all resent.

Wow that 2012 NCSU recruiting class looks awesome. Everyone thought Purvis was the crown jewel but really it was Warren.

Given our recent history, I would say the 2105 class is definitely a program changing class. Unless they all turn out to be busts.

Back