• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

DC, it seems like you just realized what the people you made fun of realized months ago.

DC, it seems like you just realized what the people you made fun of realized months ago.

You can keep repeating this, but it doesn't make it true. The entire point of my post was that I'd already written almost everything in it months ago. Doral leaving was a surprise. The transfer outlook in turn became more critical so bad news there is more damaging. You're projecting something - maybe clarify what you think is so different or who, precisely, you say now that I'm agreeing with.

Not sure who or what you're even referencing by repeating the "making fun of" comment.

Here's the thing - even if we're awful and Manning is fired next year, that doesn't make every ridiculous argument against him valid. I think that's what you're fishing for here. For instance, blindly comparing [Redacted]'s 4th year against Manning's and arguing we're no better off (which many posters have done) coming off a first 4 appearance and having multiple guys turn pro, is simply absurd by any objective measure. Manning's failure doesn't validate that argument.

Anyway, fire off some specific examples if you want. 80% of the anti-Manning posts these days are crap like "he's clueless" and "can't coach at all" or "has no idea what he's doing" so I don't really know who you're comparing me to.

"Doral leaving was a surprise. The transfer outlook in turn became more critical so bad news there is more damaging."

Yeah. Those are things the rest of us realized. Doral declared because he actually wanted to go pro and there's no reason a legit transfer would consider Wake.

"Doral leaving was a surprise. The transfer outlook in turn became more critical so bad news there is more damaging."

Yeah. Those are things the rest of us realized. Doral declared because he actually wanted to go pro and there's no reason a legit transfer would consider Wake.

Of course Doral declared because he wanted to go pro. What kind of "realization" is that? And the second point is just wrong. Those are exactly the kinds of pointless statements I'm talking about.

As I thought, you're just looking to talk about how right you are regardless of the actual discussion. You can do that without re-writing my opinions, thanks.

You took an L and you're still trying to claim victory. There are no moral losses on the boards.

How bad can this actually get? How will a 2019-2020 team look at WF? Hoard is now a consensus 5 star and it is reasonable to expect he may be a one and done at Wake. Couple this with the fact the staff currently has no 2019 commits and after listening to the latest info given on the BSD podcast, it's not very promising. It now appears that convincing solid grad transfers to play for the Deacs is no easy task. I'm not sure how many more years of irrelevance this fan base can take, but it sure looks like there are more to come.

My biggest fear is that next year Hoard makes us just good enough that Wellman let's Danny coach another year. Thinking we go like 7 ACC wins and maybe a NIT appearance finishing 13th place in the ACC. All the while hoard goes pro and we win 1-2 ACC games in Danny's year 7.

If I was a betting man I would say this is most likely outcome.

Which is basically what happened two seasons ago.

So, Ph, you knew Doral was going to stay in the draft despite all logical indications that he should not? Wow, you really are undepheated! Plus you can read the minds and motivations of all the "legit" transfers?! Amazing.

I think we could all see coming that another dumpster fire season last year where our head coach looked ill-equipped to be able to handle the rigors of being an ACC coach would result in something like this.

I never understood the argument that Manning was bettering the program by upgrading the talent for another coach.

When you combine defections, transfers, and one-or-two-and-dones, there will never be enough talent acquired by a previous coach to upgrade the program.

When the coach leaves, the program is getting kicked backwards either way.

You have to find the right guy and the rest will work itself out over time. Wake should hire the best young coach they can and as soon as they are sure he is not that guy, try again.
Hanging on to guys past when we KNOW they are not the right guy is what is killing this program.

I never understood the argument that Manning was bettering the program by upgrading the talent for another coach.

When you combine defections, transfers, and one-or-two-and-dones, there will never be enough talent acquired by a previous coach to upgrade the program.

When the coach leaves, the program is getting kicked backwards either way.

You have to find the right guy and the rest will work itself out over time. Wake should hire the best young coach they can and as soon as they are sure he is not that guy, try again.
Hanging on to guys past when we KNOW they are not the right guy is what is killing this program.

but what if we lose recruits? what then? huh? HUH?

With an apparent incoming transfer "class" of Smart, Johnson and some kid named Miles, does Danny's credibility still have a pulse??

Somehow we're bringing in three players worse than the three class of 2016 players we lost.

Somehow we're bringing in three players worse than the three class of 2016 players we lost.

Do we reach the point where Danny just staples "Basketball Tryouts" on the bulletin board in August like the P.E. teacher did back in middle school?

It still stuns me that some people think the program is better off spending 2018-19 in desperation mode than rebuilding mode.

It still stuns me that some people think the program is better off spending 2018-19 in desperation mode than rebuilding mode.

I don't know anybody here who thinks that except Ron Wellman. It is obvious Danny is going to be here next year and no amount of us complaining is going to change that. That being the case, the staff is getting the best possible players that are available to them and leaves only the option of forfeiting or completely embarrassing ourselves even further as an alternative. People who complain should have a reasonable scenario for what they would do differently in a no win case like this, even though it matters not a whit to Wellman. I'm all in on the Danny out train but am smart enough to understand it will not leave the station until AT LEAST 2019 so what do you propose is logical given that fact?

Back