• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

So if a coach, say his name is Danny Smokin' Manning, sucks at implementing defensive schemes (e.g. a zone), substituting to create advantages on D, or just simply sucks at coaching defense -- to the tune of an average of 291st in PPG allowed (pardon the error) out of roughly 350 teams in the nation for four years running, with his "best" team finishing at 228 -- then he can be assessed per a reasonable and "measurable" statistical standard to not be a good coach??

Okay? Yes? Alright then. Now STFU and let's all just move on. Like any of this back and forth micro-analysis of to what degree we suck matters.

PS -- Manning's teams have an average Defensive Rating that ranks 283rd out of 351, on average, per the CBB Sports Reference Index \ Database. Woof.

Last edited:
Two threads I now know better than to bother opening.

I mean what were you expecting when you saw this thread refresh with my name as the most recent poster. Some new insight?

I’ve been saying the exact same thing about Manning for the past 3 years no matter how many times y’all try to claim I’ve said something different.

So if a coach, say his name is Danny Smokin' Manning, sucks at implementing defensive schemes (e.g. a zone), substituting to create advantages on D, or just simply sucks at coaching defense -- to the tune of an average of the 291st worst defensive FG% in the nation for four years running, with his "best" team finishing at 228 -- then he can be assessed per a reasonable and "measurable" statistical standard to not be a good coach??

Okay? Yes? Alright then. Now STFU and let's all just move on. Like any of this back and forth micro-analysis of to what degree we suck matters.

If by coach you mean “person able to lead a team to a good defensive FG% ranking” then sure. And if you watch wake basketball so you can see a high quality defensive FG% team then that’s fine. I’ll STFU and leave you to it.

But if you watch Wake basketball hoping to see a top 25 team then it seems like your measurable results should be gauged based on how close we are to a top 25 team.

My assessment of Manning was that he appeared capable of bringing in enough talent to get us there but that his ceiling was probably limited by his in-game coaching ability. The 2016 class gave me pause but on the whole my assessment proved correct.

Unfortunately he couldn’t bring in that talent quick enough to replace the talent he lost. I’ve ignored that reality, willfully or otherwise, since last April. I thought Hoard and Mucius plus our senior class would be enough to rebound from last year and made a bet based on that. In hindsight even that was probably wishful thinking.

If by coach you mean “person able to lead a team to a good defensive FG% ranking” then sure. And if you watch wake basketball so you can see a high quality defensive FG% team then that’s fine. I’ll STFU and leave you to it.

But if you watch Wake basketball hoping to see a top 25 team then it seems like your measurable results should be gauged based on how close we are to a top 25 team.

ancient-aliens-theres-no-proof-to-say-it-wasnt-aliens-therefore-it-was-aliens

Our dumpster fire seasons are a reflection of a lack of talent. Even Ph, one of Manning’s biggest haters, admits that we are a top 40 team last year if Collins stays.
So you don't think a good college basketball coach could have gotten more out of those teams than Manning did?

So you don't think a good college basketball coach could have gotten more out of those teams than Manning did?

I love this board’s collective amnesia. This is at least the 50th time I’ve stated that Manning did a shit job last year and plenty of coaches would have done better.

I don’t think more than maybe a handful of college basketball coaches would have led last year’s team to a top 36 ranking.

I love this board’s collective amnesia. This is at least the 50th time I’ve stated that Manning did a shit job last year and plenty of coaches would have done better.

I don’t think more than maybe a handful of college basketball coaches would have led last year’s team to a top 36 ranking.

People get amnesia because you come back and post something completely different afterward.

If you can’t depheat an argument just lie about it. Care to point me to a post?

OK. Since you like circles I’ll do it again.

OK. Since you like circles I’ll do it again.

Still waiting.

You’ve had to change your argument so much that you have to distinguish between “significantly better” and a “huge improvement” all within 5-10 spots in the rankings.

I know it would be easier to engage in group hysteria if I were full on sunshine brigade but I never have been and never will be.

Twice I’ve quoted you saying two different things in the same post.

If you stopped defending Manning, people would stop saying you’re defending Manning.

Back