• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Here is the entire conversation that I “interrupted.”

Mebane and Racer’s comments occurred after jaybone started your conversation, and Milhouse commented again on the conversation I eventually joined after godeacs quip about Beirut/BabeRuth.

Don’t pull out receipts if you aren’t going to like what they show.

Fun facts:
Nikita Kruschchev is playing in Bealrus too on the same team as Justin Gray

Travis McKie is playing (well, sort of) in Lebanon proving that he has a nose for toxic environs that is almost unparalleled. He hopes to play next year in the Ukraine and then Russia, followed by a year in the Philippines.

lol

and Lebanon seems like a cool place -- great cuisine

re: Weaver, he had skills, but his defense and rebounding always seemed a bit weak

Got a friend who used to teach English in Saudi Arabia and partied in Beirut on the weekends. Kind of a shock to an 80s kid to hear Beirut is fun.

Beirut is very cosmopolitan

I think a lot of the non-Persian Gulf countries in the Middle East would be great to visit, save Syria

Beirut is overrated. Hank Aaron was better.

Great line, even if it's untrue.

The only person with less credibility is the perpetual victim, RChill. Even RJ is jealous.

Here is the entire conversation that I “interrupted.”

Mebane and Racer’s comments occurred after jaybone started your conversation, and Milhouse commented again on the conversation I eventually joined after godeacs quip about Beirut/BabeRuth.

Don’t pull out receipts if you aren’t going to like what they show.
holy fuck you're insufferable

Josh Howard then Chris Paul, Duncan's the greatest of all
Prosser heart, Gaudio, then Wellman killed the programo...

we didn't start the fire, it was always Wellman since he took over...

Ok I'll stop now.

Josh Howard then Chris Paul, Duncan's the greatest of all
Prosser heart, Gaudio, then Wellman killed the programo...

we didn't start the fire, it was always Wellman since he took over...

Ok I'll stop now.

What terror did I just unleash??

so many crocodile tears around here

Blank+_ff38f23f69804049f1ff423601249e68.jpg

Referenced on the recruiting thread, but probably more germane to this thread...

https://kenpom.com/blog/introducing-2-foul-participation/

2-Foul Participation is simply the percentage of time that a starter with two fouls in the first half has been allowed to play. If a starter picks up a foul with ten minutes left in the first half and plays one of those remaining minutes, then he’s participated in 10% of the minutes he could have. Add up the possible minutes for all starters and the minutes on the floor and you get the team’s number for the whole season.

That figure was around 20% for all of big-time college basketball last season, a number that has been dropping steadily since 2010, the first season for which we have complete play-by-play data. Coaches are gradually getting more conservative about playing guys with foul trouble in the first half. Even with foul rates declining to historic lows last season, coaches were less willing to play a guy after he picked up his second foul. It makes one wonder if there is a level of fouling low enough to make coaches reconsider their philosophy.

FWIW, Manning/Wake Forest ranked 253 of 351 last season, playing guys 10.2% of potential minutes in the first half after receiving foul #2. NCAA average is 20.1% (most teams are below this average, as the distribution as a long right tail).

Dead last in 2017-18? Michigan & John Beilein... Who played guys w/ 2 fouls 0.6% of potential minutes in the rest of the first half. So if you get 2 first half fouls on Michigan, you are riding the pine until the 2nd half.

Florida & Virginia are also near the bottom here, which I found surprising. Syracuse (58.3%) & Georgia Tech (54.8%) were #3 & #4... I can understand Syracuse, given they play the 2-3 and you can kind of protect a guy in foul trouble. Unsure why GT is so high (lack of players/bench?).

Cuse has the scholarship limit and was playing with like 7 legit players all of last season. Battle, Howard, and Brissett were basically playing all 40 like every game. GT ran into some injuries, I think.

A couple of other things I noticed:

Coach Bz generally did not sit guys with 2 first half fouls. Was #8 in 2012 at 51.6%.
Manning is closer to the other end of the spectrum.

Duke/Coach K is another example of a coach that generally just plays the guys with 2 fouls anyway. So you can have success with either strategy, it seems.

Ha, just looked it up -- of all the players in D1, here's where Cuse's top 3 ranked in percentage of minutes played:

Battle - #1
Howard - #4
Brissett - #7

Danny knew how good JC could be and therefore would give him the early 2-foul yank way too often. So obviously DM thought he could help us win games (although not every game for some reason) in the 2nd half if he wasn't "saddled" with foul trouble. 'Twas a fallacious approach to a season that was running off the rails quick by mid-January. Just play your best players as many mins as possible and develop your "youngins" so they are more prepared in Y3. DT and his double/double was getting us nowhere as his tantrum & technical, or key turnover, or missed layup always seemed to come at a critical time.

Cuse has the scholarship limit and was playing with like 7 legit players all of last season. Battle, Howard, and Brissett were basically playing all 40 like every game. GT ran into some injuries, I think.

Syracuse is in the top 20 or so every year.
Yeah, GT was definitely an injury thing.

But there is generally consistency with coaches year over year. I had thought maybe it would depend on personnel (Manning having to sit Collins/Moore because they fouled a lot), but it seems to be more of a coaching thing than a player personnel thing.

Back