• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Odom would do it quite often but he typically had a tight 7 man rotation and could not afford key players to be in foul trouble when we had to put the clamps on defensively. Danny doesn't know what defensive "clamps" are so I'm not really sure what his strategy is in benching guys with 2 fouls till the 2nd half.

Manning's history shows us this probably won't happen, but I'd like to see Brown, Hoard, & Childress all play over 30mpg this season. And Sarr get 25+.

FWIW some coaching hot seat articles have come out and Danny Manning is listed on most of them. Basically they all say if he does .500 or better he stays, but another below .500 season and he probably gets shown the door.

FWIW some coaching hot seat articles have come out and Danny Manning is listed on most of them. Basically they all say if he does .500 or better he stays, but another below .500 season and he probably gets shown the door.

Not that I doubt you, but do you have any links?

I'd like to read that stuff.

Not that I doubt you, but do you have any links?

I'd like to read that stuff.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/06...-10-head-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-for-2018-19/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-2014s-biggest-hires-four-years-into-the-job/
There were a couple others I can't remember, also some discussions on reddit threads, ESPN boards, here, etc. That being said, I'd bet he's a lock to be on the major lists compiled by ESPN, NBC sports, etc. by mid-season.

Nah. Racer or Mebane depending on how you read it (#7237 and #7238).

You and DeacDaddy brought it up last time (#6833 and #6834).

Yep, I owned that on the recruiting thread. Brought it up in the wrong place.

I was curious to see if you were ready to admit being wrong, which you did. Must’ve killed you.

We have to find some entertainment in these bleak basketball times.

Sounds about right. Decent chance we get over .500 but aren’t even close to the NIT. Manning gets another year. Hoard leaves. Maybe Chaundee or Sarr too. Some transfers.

Sounds about right. Decent chance we get over .500 but aren’t even close to the NIT. Manning gets another year. Hoard leaves. Maybe Chaundee or Sarr too. Some transfers.

Perhaps that was the thinking behind the cupcake schedule? Easier to get to .500 if you can have 8-9 wins in non-conference.

Remember when the articles about [Redacted] talked about how restless the fan base was? Now the articles about Manning reference how the fan base will probably be patient if Manning gets us over .500 because it's a "tough job" in a "tough conference", as if Wake doesn't have crap tons of advantages over many teams that have consistently been better than us during Manning's tenure.

Time for another billboard? Our fan base has been lulled to sleep. The only folks left mostly fall into two camps, either the endless sunshine folks who are just happy that Manning is a nice man or a handful of hardcore fans who haven't yet let anger turn completely into apathy.

Remember when the articles about [Redacted] talked about how restless the fan base was? Now the articles about Manning reference how the fan base will probably be patient if Manning gets us over .500 because it's a "tough job" in a "tough conference", as if Wake doesn't have crap tons of advantages over many teams that have consistently been better than us during Manning's tenure.

Time for another billboard? Our fan base has been lulled to sleep. The only folks left mostly fall into two camps, either the endless sunshine folks who are just happy that Manning is a nice man or a handful of hardcore fans who haven't yet let anger turn completely into apathy.

One more year of garbage and no changes, then I will join the apathy crowd. Hoping it doesn't come to that because we either surprise this year, or if we suck land a big coach.

Best case/worst case.

If Wellman makes the next hire, who is the best candidate you legitimately see him landing - both whom he would be smart enough to target and who would likely be willing to come?

And who is an example of the worst? (Who’s the next [Redacted] out there...)

Who’s an example of the type of coach you actually think we would end up with? Wellman going back to the Odom tree would be my guess.

Yep, I owned that on the recruiting thread. Brought it up in the wrong place.

I was curious to see if you were ready to admit being wrong, which you did. Must’ve killed you.

We have to find some entertainment in these bleak basketball times.

Nah. If it did I would have died a thousand times on these boards. I admit I’m wrong quite often, just not to the extent y’all would like.

I think the fan base falls on a much more nuanced spectrum. Unfortunately, the small portion of the fan base that has the ability to effect change fall into camp 1.

I think a lot of the fan base realizes that Manning walked into a shitty situation where he would need to be exceptional or catch a few breaks (or maybe both) in order to make it work. They also realize that he hasn’t been exceptional and several breaks didn’t go his way. The rest is just matters of degree for those of us who care to bicker about on the internet

There is nothing inherent about Wake Forest that makes competing in the ACC some gargantuan task. There were, and still are, specific circumstances at Wake that have made, and continue to make, that task more difficult than it needs to be for Manning. If we get rid of Manning after this season without addressing some of those specific circumstances then The task will remain more difficult than it needs to be.

Best case/worst case.

If Wellman makes the next hire, who is the best candidate you legitimately see him landing - both whom he would be smart enough to target and who would likely be willing to come?

And who is an example of the worst? (Who’s the next [name redacted] out there...)

Who’s an example of the type of coach you actually think we would end up with? Wellman going back to the Odom tree would be my guess.

I don't see Wellman making the next hire whether he's employed by Wake Forest or not. There will be a buyout for Manning, especially after the recent extension. I don't think the folks who will be asked to fund the buyout will entrust Wellman to make another hire after 3 failures in a row. It was reported that Clawson was hired by committee/search team. I suspect the next basketball coach will be as well. The days of Wellman hiring basketball coaches off the sticky note on his desk are over. Wellman will be allowed to leave on his own terms. He's done some fine things facilities wise. But I don't think he gets any real say in the next hire.

.500 overall or in conference? How the hell would the former be justification for continuing with this dumpster fire?

.500 overall or in conference? How the hell would the former be justification for continuing with this dumpster fire?

I would imagine that even the most informed outside observers view Manning as taking over a shitty program and making the tournament in year 3 and then catching a tough break last year with JC leaving leading to a shitty season. Going 17-15 would be seen as progress over last season and a step back in the right direction. Plus .500 is a nice round number.

It’s flawed logic and overly simplistic but that’s my guess as to how outside observers see the situation.

Back