• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Not sure how I’m exploiting it. The context is usually obvious and I’ve discussed the difference between predictions and expectations numerous times on this board and why the two shouldn’t be conflated.

If there were a poll question each year asking “What’s the minimum Manning can do to meet expectations” or “What does Manning have to do to keep his job,” I’m sure I and everyone else would have given different answers.

Sure, people would answer those questions differently. But that is not the set of questions that were asked. Looks to me like you are the one conflating the "minimum expectations" and "expectations" ideas. Seems pretty reasonable to respond to the question "Hey, how many games do you predict we will this year?" With "I expect we will win 15 games, 4 in the ACC." Or at least to ask in response "do you mean minimum expectations, or the most likely expectations?"

Reactions: Ayo
Chris chose to make the gift of new locker room facilities at this time with Danny Manning as WFU head basketball coach.

He didn't make it earlier when other people were the head coach.

He didn't wait for a new coach.

He made the donation to pay for new locker rooms now, presumably a very tangible way of supporting Danny Manning. Danny has credibility with people who count.

Not sure how I’m exploiting it. The context is usually obvious and I’ve discussed the difference between predictions and expectations numerous times on this board and why the two shouldn’t be conflated.

If there were a poll question each year asking “What’s the minimum Manning can do to meet expectations” or “What does Manning have to do to keep his job,” I’m sure I and everyone else would have given different answers.
What a loser mentality question.

Chris chose to make the gift of new locker room facilities at this time with Danny Manning as WFU head basketball coach.

He made the donation to pay for new locker rooms now, presumably a very tangible way of supporting Danny Manning. Danny has credibility with people who count.

Or as a way to help attract a better coach when Manning is fired because he failed to meet modest expectations.

What a loser mentality question.

Which is probably why no one asks it. But if you are running a business it’s far better to have some measurable standard for your employees to meet so you can get rid of ones who don’t meet it. A minimum standard doesn’t have to be a low standard.

Which is probably why no one asks it. But if you are running a business it’s far better to have some measurable standard for your employees to meet so you can get rid of ones who don’t meet it. A minimum standard doesn’t have to be a low standard.

So you admit that you answered a question that no one asked and then acting like we are idiots for not understanding your responses?

Men’s basketball head coach Danny Manning said, “We appreciate Chris’ desire to give back to our program and assist our mission to cut down nets.

You show them Danny! Go cut down some motherfucking nets!!

Sure, people would answer those questions differently. But that is not the set of questions that were asked. Looks to me like you are the one conflating the "minimum expectations" and "expectations" ideas. Seems pretty reasonable to respond to the question "Hey, how many games do you predict we will this year?" With "I expect we will win 15 games, 4 in the ACC." Or at least to ask in response "do you mean minimum expectations, or the most likely expectations?"

What? No.

Because the question is perfectly clear.

Certainly when the prediction poll comes around this year you are going to pick a win total below what you would consider the bare minimum necessary for Manning to keep his job, or below your overall expectations or standards for what he should achieve in year 5.

It’s the difference between will, should, and must. You can argue that in this context the last two should be the same if you want, but otherwise you are being (purposely, I suspect) dense.

So you admit that you answered a question that no one asked and then acting like we are idiots for not understanding your responses?

What? No. I predicted we would win 17 games last year because I thought that we would win 17 games.

I thought Manning should have an NIT team at the minimum.

I clearly thought Manning did what he must, to save his job.

The prediction thread asked for the first answer. I assumed this whole thread was about the latter two.

I’ve been very clear and consistent since year 2 about why Manning should accomplish at Wake. I haven’t been as clear until this year about what he must do in order to keep his job.

Sorry for assuming that questions about Manning’s credibility were good faith critiques of his job performance rather than bitching because he didn’t fulfill this board’s shitty overhyped predictions.

Or as a way to help attract a better coach when Manning is fired because he failed to meet modest expectations.
Or a way to gift Manning's buyout cash without having to call it that. There's no way a locker room will cost $2.5 million, and it's work we already planned to do and budgeted for as part of the new basketball facility project.

There's zero mention of Manning or the direction of the program in his quotes. Lol at the idea that this gift is CP3 throwing his support behind Manning...

Last edited:

maybe it was made contingent on DM's resignation after another terrible season

Maybe he did it so Manning won't have "poor locker rooms" as another ready made excuse, or maybe he did it because he's a good guy with lots of money.

On the recruiting thread. Not really relevant to this thread.

I’m gonna double down on this response.

We’ve likely already spent more time discussing what Paul’s donation reveals about his views on Manning’s job performance at Wake than Chris has ever spent thinking about Manning’s job performance at Wake.

What? No. I predicted we would win 17 games last year because I thought that we would win 17 games.

I thought Manning should have an NIT team at the minimum.

I clearly thought Manning did what he must, to save his job.

The prediction thread asked for the first answer. I assumed this whole thread was about the latter two.

I’ve been very clear and consistent since year 2 about why Manning should accomplish at Wake. I haven’t been as clear until this year about what he must do in order to keep his job.

You are conflating performance criteria with the term expectations. The words expect and expectations are much closer to the words predict and prediction than to performance criteria when applied in typical discussions. If you are going to be so nuanced with the question framing, I suggest you should also be careful and specific with the terms you use to respond to those nuanced questions.

Anyway, it's clear that you have lower performance criteria and a slower performance time line than most other posters on the boards. That's fine and allowable on both sides.

You are conflating performance criteria with the term expectations. The words expect and expectations are much closer to the words predict and prediction than to performance criteria when applied in typical discussions. If you are going to be so nuanced with the question framing, I suggest you should also be careful and specific with the terms you use to respond to those nuanced questions.

Anyway, it's clear that you have lower performance criteria and a slower performance time line than most other posters on the boards. That's fine and allowable on both sides.

From Webster’s

4. a : to consider probable or certain [will]
b : to consider reasonable, due, or necessary [should]
c : to consider bound in duty or obligated [must]

99% of the discussion on this thread has been about b. I’ve tried to add modifiers such as reasonable (I.e. what Manning should do) or minimum (what Manning must do) when I thought the context warranted.

If you are having this much trouble with reading comprehension in the future speak up and I’ll let you join RJ in the remedial class. If you are just being a dick then you do you I guess.

99% of the discussion on this thread has been about b. I’ve tried to add modifiers such as reasonable (I.e. what Manning should do) or minimum (what Manning must do) when I thought the context warranted.

If you are having this much trouble with reading comprehension in the future speak up and I’ll let you join RJ in the remedial class. If you are just being a dick then you do you I guess.
Need a ruling.

RIP in peace, Townie.

Back