• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

abc-123-xyz-the-letters-and-numbers-abc-123-xyz-isolated-against-a-white-background-stock-photos_csp2470683.jpg

Given your understanding of how people use the word expectation (all other definitions being archaic now), why weren’t more posters ecstatic about Manning exceeding expectations in 2016-17?

Andy why do your expectations for Manning next season and your criteria for Manning’s credibility next season differ so much?

1. Which is fucking stupid.

2. Which is circular reasoning.

3. Which is disingenuous at best since you admitted like 10 posts ago you’ve understood what I meant the whole time.

It must be hard being you... being so smart and surrounded by idiots.

There is really nothing wrong with anything I posted about the way people approach assessing Manning’s performance game to game or season to season. It’s not fucking stupid and it’s not circular. Sure it’s less precise than your approach but it involves prior predictions and posterior assessments which is all you really need when I comes to evaluating someone’s performance.

Given your understanding of how people use the word expectation (all other definitions being archaic now), why weren’t more posters ecstatic about Manning exceeding expectations in 2016-17?

Andy why do your expectations for Manning next season and your criteria for Manning’s credibility next season differ so much?

Keep it straight dude, not criteria for credibility, criteria for keeping his job. Try to follow me here...they are different because I predict that Manning will get no where near what I think should be deemed worthy of keeping his job after 5 seasons with 4 failures and 1 adequate.

It must be hard being you... being so smart and surrounded by idiots.

There is really nothing wrong with anything I posted about the way people approach assessing Manning’s performance game to game or season to season. It’s not fucking stupid and it’s not circular. Sure it’s less precise than your approach but it involves prior predictions and posterior assessments which is all you really need when I comes to evaluating someone’s performance.

If y’all were actually idiots it wouldn’t bother me so much.

I’ll wait until you answer my questions before I respond to the rest of this post, since I think your answers will prove instructive.

Keep it straight dude, not criteria for credibility, criteria for keeping his job. Try to follow me here...they are different because I predict that Manning will get no where near what I think should be deemed worthy of keeping his job after 5 seasons with 4 failures and 1 adequate.

So if he wins 15 games he will be credible but should not keep his job. Makes sense.

And how is exceeding most of the fanbase’s expectations simply adequate?

I predicted that I would regret engaging RC107 and I was right about that. I am not sure what that says about his or my credibility though.

So if he wins 15 games he will be credible but should not keep his job. Makes sense.

And how is exceeding most of the fanbase’s expectations simply adequate?

Is credibility the only measure of whether or not a coach retains their job?

I predicted that I would regret engaging RC107 and I was right about that. I am not sure what that says about his or my credibility though.
join the club..... we have Donuts

Is credibility the only measure of whether or not a coach retains their job?

What do you think we’ve been discussing on this thread for the past year or so.

I think I’ve made it perfectly clear that I understand the difference between how I think Manning will do in a particular year, how I think he should do in a particular year, and how I think he must do in a particular year in order to deserve to keep his job. In the future, if you aren’t sure which of these I’m talking about, just ask.

I assume that you and others understand this difference as well, which is why I ask for a certain level of nuance when discussing Manning’s job performance. If that assumption was wrong or if that ask is unreasonable, I encourage others to let me know.

Moving forward, I’ll assume that when people post something about Manning’s job performance on this thread they are doing so in the context of what they think a good coach should do OR what Manning must do to keep his job. If I can’t tell which based on context clues, then I’ll ask. I encourage others to do the same.

If you want to discuss predictions, past or present, then I suggest you choose another thread.

Or, if you want to talk about predictions, why don’t you start here.

And the thing is, y’all agree with me but can’t admit that you are wrong.

Rank the following but-for causes for why we sucked last year:

1. John Collins left early
2. Dinos left early
3. Manning struck out on the 2016 class
4. Manning’s a horrible in game coach

And then answer the following questions:

1. Where does last year’s team finish if JC had stayed?

2. Where does last year’s team finish if Dinos has stayed?

3. Where does last year’s team finish with two solid top 100 sophomores?

4. Where does last year’s roster finish with Skip Prosser or Dave Odom as head coach?

If y’all were actually idiots it wouldn’t bother me so much.

I’ll wait until you answer my questions before I respond to the rest of this post, since I think your answers will prove instructive.

At least you’re admitting it bothers you.

Related question: why does it bother you?

Might be worth investigating.

Or, if you want to talk about predictions, why don’t you start here.

1) 17 wins NIT berth and first round exit.

2) 14 wins, no post season.

3) depends on who they are and what skills they bring to the team.

4) With skip we win 5 more games all in the non-conference...with Odom, win 18 regular season games including one against Duke, and then win the NIT, again.

1) 17 wins NIT berth and first round exit.

2) 14 wins, no post season.

3) depends on who they are and what skills they bring to the team.

4) With skip we win 5 more games all in the non-conference...with Odom, win 18 regular season games including one against Duke, and then win the NIT, again.

So we win 2 fewer games against an easier schedule with essentially everyone back and a year older? Did you watch John Collins play basketball this year? Did you watch us play basketball in 16-17?

Odom without John Collins outperforms Manning with John Collins? Crawford and Moore turn into Howard and Songaila under Odom?

I mean I get why you have to give these answers, but come on.

So we win 2 fewer games against an easier schedule with essentially everyone back and a year older? Did you watch John Collins play basketball this year? Did you watch us play basketball in 16-17?

Odom without John Collins outperforms Manning with John Collins? Crawford and Moore turn into Howard and Songaila under Odom?

I mean I get why you have to give these answers, but come on.

Odom can coach defense. Odom didn't miss the post season once after the first couple years recovering from Staak, even when Josh Shoemaker was his best post player. Winning the NIT was a joke, but Odom would have a much better run team.

JC, without Dinos, Arians and with an injured Key and hero ball Crawford playing for the NBA scouts, would not be as effective as the previous year, is my prediction. He'd still dominate but we would not win as many games as the previous season, in my opinion.

Back