• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I'm so ready for March.

I don’t think the circle jerk of misery is going to be as enjoyable as you think it is.

What gets glossed over in this conversation is that regardless of what we think of Manning, he’s not going anywhere as long as he clears the very low bar that’s been set for him. So even if I get banned in March, one of three things is going to happen:

1. Manning is who y’all think he is and he sticks around for 1-2 more .500 seasons and leaves the cupboard as bare as he found it. Everyone’s miserable

2. Manning isn’t quite who I thought he was and recruits well enough to make the CBI every year but never well enough to get a top 8 seed and gets let go at the end of his contract by our new AD (god willing). Y’all are in your literal nightmare and aren’t able to enjoy the few bright spots Manning is able to provide.

3. Manning is who I thought he could be (or better) and recruits his way to a couple of bubble teams and a couple of top 20 finishes over the next 5 years. Y’all are still miserable because Manning still isn’t a good coach in your eyes and so anything he does will disappoint you.

Have Fun!

I don’t think the circle jerk of misery is going to be as enjoyable as you think it is.

What gets glossed over in this conversation is that regardless of what we think of Manning, he’s not going anywhere as long as he clears the very low bar that’s been set for him. So even if I get banned in March, one of three things is going to happen:

1. Manning is who y’all think he is and he sticks around for 1-2 more .500 seasons and leaves the cupboard as bare as he found it. Everyone’s miserable

2. Manning isn’t quite who I thought he was and recruits well enough to make the CBI every year but never well enough to get a top 8 seed and gets let go at the end of his contract by our new AD (god willing). Y’all are in your literal nightmare and aren’t able to enjoy the few bright spots Manning is able to provide.

3. Manning is who I thought he could be (or better) and recruits his way to a couple of bubble teams and a couple of top 20 finishes over the next 5 years. Y’all are still miserable because Manning still isn’t a good coach in your eyes and so anything he does will disappoint you.

Have Fun!

Yeah, but you'll be gone. My post has nothing to do with Manning.

Why do coach apologists think that they are upholding the coach's honor against unreasonable hatred? I would love nothing better than for Manning to start winning like crazy. I don't think it's going to happen, but I would love it.

Have Fun!

Interesting that a top 25 university is incapable of doing something better with their most their most visible sports program. Hope the rest of the university is run better.

$75,000 a year doesn't buy what it used to.

Have Fun!

A cry for help. Board intervention may be in order

Why do coach apologists think that they are upholding the coach's honor against unreasonable hatred? I would love nothing better than for Manning to start winning like crazy. I don't think it's going to happen, but I would love it.

because they are self-absorbed narcissists with delusions of grandeur

generally speaking, of course

I don’t think anyone on here hates Manning (at least I hope not). I also don’t think he needs me to uphold his honor and I’m certainly not upholding his “coaching” ability (again, as y’all insist on defining it). I agree with most of the criticisms of Manning and think the board has a relatively accurate assessment of his abilities as a coach.

I just happen to think y’all have a weird, indefensible definition of “good coach” and that you’ve done a shit job of measuring Manning’s performance against reasonable metrics tied to the reality he inherited.

After last year I’d give Manning a C+ on his overall tenure here and that grade appears more likely to drop than go up over the next 7 months.

You’re the main one defending him.

See above but it’s a pretty tepid defense, especially after last year (which was indefensible). In the technical sense of the word, I’m an apologist for the position that Manning has been a mediocre coach at Wake but has shown the potential to be a good, but probably not great, coach at Wake.

It’s kind of like calling someone who doesn’t think Trump is the next Hitler a Trump apologist. It’s technically true when that person is arguing with someone who does think Trump is the next Hitler, but it’s not really an accurate description.

I think you really like to argue with people who essentially agree with you.

#lawyering

I think you really like to argue with people who essentially agree with you.

#lawyering

And the thing is, y’all agree with me but can’t admit that you are wrong.

Rank the following but-for causes for why we sucked last year:

1. John Collins left early
2. Dinos left early
3. Manning struck out on the 2016 class
4. Manning’s a horrible in game coach

And then answer the following questions:

1. Where does last year’s team finish if JC had stayed?

2. Where does last year’s team finish if Dinos has stayed?

3. Where does last year’s team finish with two solid top 100 sophomores?

4. Where does last year’s roster finish with Skip Prosser or Dave Odom as head coach?

See, I told you so. Glad to admit I was wrong on the bolded part though.

Fire the moron. His past doesn't help with recruiting. He's a relic. He know this isn't going anywhere, that he will eventually be let go, so he's just chilling and taking his checks as the program rots. He shows no signs of giving a damn. We need somebody who will energize the program and the fans, and Manning sure as hell isn't that person. Hated the hire on day 1...still hate it, hate that I was right. Crow would have tasted much better than this shitty basketball.

After listening to Manning yesterday and reading some of the media day write-ups, I don't get any sense of urgency from Manning. I don't think he has any idea that he needs to have a successful season to keep his job.

Not trying to make any kind of point here... It just struck me as odd.

Back