• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

After listening to Manning yesterday and reading some of the media day write-ups, I don't get any sense of urgency from Manning. I don't think he has any idea that he needs to have a successful season to keep his job.

Not trying to make any kind of point here... It just struck me as odd.

There’s probably a reason for that- Wellman gave it yet another boneheaded extension.

Fire the moron. His past doesn't help with recruiting. He's a relic. He know this isn't going anywhere, that he will eventually be let go, so he's just chilling and taking his checks as the program rots. He shows no signs of giving a damn. We need somebody who will energize the program and the fans, and Manning sure as hell isn't that person. Hated the hire on day 1...still hate it, hate that I was right. Crow would have tasted much better than this shitty basketball.

After listening to Manning yesterday and reading some of the media day write-ups, I don't get any sense of urgency from Manning. I don't think he has any idea that he needs to have a successful season to keep his job.

Of all the stupid threads on this post “the Manning doesn’t give a shit based on a press conference” posts are my favorite.

Manning has never been a guy who lets his emotions show.

Of all the stupid threads on this post “the Manning doesn’t give a shit based on a press conference” posts are my favorite.
That's probably because Kenpom has nothing to say about it. It's ok. You're better than us.

Since someone bumped this thread it seems like a good spot to share what I’ve learned on these boards over the last few weeks from some of our esteemed posters:

1. Manning is a great recruiter when coming off a successful season. (Ph)

2. A coach is responsible for the talent he puts on the floor, good or bad. (Birdman)

3. Team chemistry sorts itself out when you are winning/have good players. (Racer)

Which brings us back to:

Quote Originally Posted by RChildress107 View Post

And the thing is, y’all agree with me but can’t admit that you are wrong.

Rank the following but-for causes for why we sucked last year:

1. John Collins left early
2. Dinos left early
3. Manning struck out on the 2016 class
4. Manning’s a horrible in game coach

And then answer the following questions:

1. Where does last year’s team finish if JC had stayed?

2. Where does last year’s team finish if Dinos has stayed?

3. Where does last year’s team finish with two solid top 100 sophomores?

4. Where does last year’s roster finish with Skip Prosser or Dave Odom as head coach?

You can't honestly watch that 20 minute press conference and feel good about where we're at as a program. Or feel the least bit excited about Manning's ability to turn things around. His prepared statement at the top was terrible (and brief) and he dodges pretty much every question. It's less painful than a Bz presser, but the novelty of Manning simply not being Bz has worn off.

Part of my non-OGBoards job is to parse the words of company management teams for incremental changes in tone/sentiment... When I listened to Manning yesterday, I got the sense that he just doesn't get it. Or that he's just pandering to the guys that pay his checks by talking about preparing his team for when the ball stops bouncing. What happened to cutting down nets? Or was that just a metaphor... Wake Forest basketball is about cutting down the nets of life?

And this is coming from a guy who isn't a part of the FIRE MANNING! crowd.

You can't honestly watch that 20 minute press conference and feel good about where we're at as a program. Or feel the least bit excited about Manning's ability to turn things around. His prepared statement at the top was terrible (and brief) and he dodges pretty much every question. It's less painful than a Bz presser, but the novelty of Manning simply not being Bz has worn off.

Part of my non-OGBoards job is to parse the words of company management teams for incremental changes in tone/sentiment... When I listened to Manning yesterday, I got the sense that he just doesn't get it. Or that he's just pandering to the guys that pay his checks by talking about preparing his team for when the ball stops bouncing. What happened to cutting down nets? Or was that just a metaphor... Wake Forest basketball is about cutting down the nets of life?

This is just a nightmare:
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...l-Coach-Danny-Manning-QA-Part-Two--123151825/
On the difficulty in getting a group to stick around together for three-to-four years
Manning: “It’s a race, and the race starts well before they get to college. It’s a race to get on the best junior-high AAU team that travels and gets gear. It’s a race to get on the best high school program where you can go travel and be in certain situations. Everyone in college in our sport of basketball are trying to interrupt that race. We trying to interrupt that race and not only develop basketball players, but also prepare them for life. At the end of the day, the ball is going to stop bouncing. Period. I don’t care who you are. Some people have longer stints than others and some people have shorter. That’s just the cards you’ve been dealt, but you just have to be prepared for life. That’s what we try to share with our guys in a lot of different ways. I’ve been very fortunate and blessed to be a part of the game of basketball. It’s given me a chance to provide for my family and so many different things, but it came to a stop. When it comes to a stop, what’s the next phase of your life? That’s something that is important to me and our staff in helping to prepare guys. Yeah, we have to win games. In this profession, that’s what it comes down to. That’s the measuring stick for a lot of different people. All that other stuff sounds real good, but for a lot of people it just doesn’t matter to them, to be honest with you.”

Coach: Do you believe your job is to win games or not? Yes or no? Do you believe you're succeeding or failing? At the end of the day, even if you're not winning, ARE you preparing kids for when the ball stops bouncing? If so, how are you accomplishing that in the short time span they spend in your program?

Why the fuck would I do that?

Last edited:
Why the fuck would I do that.

Oh, I don't know... I just figured you watched it since you posted this:

Usually when I am going to dismiss/refute something another person posts, I try to at least watch/read what they are commenting on.

FWIW, it's quicker (and somewhat less painful) to just read the text of the presser.

This is just a nightmare:
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...l-Coach-Danny-Manning-QA-Part-Two--123151825/

Coach: Do you believe your job is to win games or not? Yes or no? Do you believe you're succeeding or failing? At the end of the day, even if you're not winning, ARE you preparing kids for when the ball stops bouncing? If so, how are you accomplishing that in the short time span they spend in your program?[/FONT]

Thanks Racer. I honestly thought his response to my question about his vision for the program was at least equally as painful. I'll definitely give him another chance to answer questions of those ilk at ACC Media Day in a couple weeks.

Oh, I don't know... I just figured you watched it since you posted this:

Usually when I am going to dismiss/refute something another person posts, I try to at least watch/read what they are commenting on.

FWIW, it's quicker (and somewhat less painful) to just read the text of the presser.

Pretty clear that my point was making broad conclusions based on a coach’s press conference is a futile exercise. Don’t need to watch the presser to make that general statement.

I honestly thought his response to my question about his vision for the program was at least equally as painful.

The answer of a man who doesn't want to set any expectations because he knows he can't meet them.

Instead it's "give me more time Ron to recruit more guys and build depth (even though that won't happen because kids will transfer)"

Pretty clear that my point was making broad conclusions based on a coach’s press conference is a futile exercise. Don’t need to watch the presser to make that general statement.

Well you came off sounding like an asshole.

I will agree that you can't exactly win a press conference, nor can you use it as any kind of real indicator of the future success of a team... And of course I think Manning wants to succeed.

But you can watch a press conference that is kind of a train wreck and glean things from it... This was one of those times.

I'm fine with a coach that is not comfortable speaking to the media, but Manning had a little bit of Iraqi Defense Minister going on yesterday.

And thanks for the coverage, Les... I enjoyed reading your stuff last night.

Well you came off sounding like an asshole.

I will agree that you can't exactly win a press conference, nor can you use it as any kind of real indicator of the future success of a team... And of course I think Manning wants to succeed.

But you can watch a press conference that is kind of a train wreck and glean things from it... This was one of those times.

I'm fine with a coach that is not comfortable speaking to the media, but Manning had a little bit of Iraqi Defense Minister going on yesterday.

And thanks for the coverage, Les... I enjoyed reading your stuff last night.

I’m not doubting the presser was a disaster. It’s the leap to concluding Manning doesn’t want to win or care about his job, or whatever, that I’m critiquing.

Manning came off looking like an OWG in that press conference. From: AAU has screwed up the bball, to kids have unrealistic expectations and then 6'8" kids can't play 2 guard. Finally the most famous 'get off my lawn' comment - back in my day, you played the position they told you to play. And the Alabama depth comparison was a joke - just look at the team down the road in Durham kicking your ass every year that only plays 6 or 7 for most ACC games.

I haven't really been into Wake bball since the Buzzaster, but this is now year 5 for DM. It is time to deliver results or make a change.

Don’t we all know what this year is going to look like, though?

It’s basically last year’s team - a starting point guard and center + two freshmen wings

11 wins might be too high of an expectation, tbh

Manning came off looking like an OWG in that press conference. From: AAU has screwed up the bball, to kids have unrealistic expectations and then 6'8" kids can't play 2 guard. Finally the most famous 'get off my lawn' comment - back in my day, you played the position they told you to play. And the Alabama depth comparison was a joke - just look at the team down the road in Durham kicking your ass every year that only plays 6 or 7 for most ACC games.

Yup. He seems more and more like a likable [name redacted] every day. Completely out of touch with players and the college basketball landscape. The "preparing kids for after the ball stops bouncing" comment is not that far off from shoe tying and sock wearing 101 when it comes to a way to deflect from the failings to actually put a ball in the basket and win some games.

Last edited:
Back