• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Fact is Manning has the appearance of somebody getting on the job training, well actually I guess he is with his stellar and long term 2 year coaching career at Tulsa.

Fact is Manning has the appearance of somebody getting on the job training, well actually I guess he is with his stellar and long term 2 year coaching career at Tulsa.

Manning has no credibility issues with me. Success begets success, and it was a deep damn hole that Manning had to start from here. In several years we'll be upset that someone is hiring him away from us, and we'll be blaming Wellman for it.

And yes, Virginia is that much better than us right now.

Can defense be taught?

Just like some people can't be taught how to shoot, some can't be taught how to play D. It's not just about effort. Few people play with as much effort as Wilbekin does, but he can't play D. He's too slow, not strong enough and too small. He's often in the right position and then gets beat. Or like happened against Duke and other teams, he was simply to small after making the correct rotation.

People here like to bag on Dinos' defense. But if you watch last year versus this year, he is markedly better. However, he still doesn't have great lateral mobility. But he is where he's supposed to be and puts forth great effort.

With all the cheap fouls called against him, JC is a bit hesitant on D. In a couple of blowout games, Danny needs to get Ts bitching about the soft calls JC gets but doesn't receive. He even needs to talk about them in post game interviews.

As opposed to Wilbekin and Dinos who have taken the coaching well, but don't have the talent to be plus defenders, McClinton is just lost. He doesn't get it. He is out of position a large percentage of the time he's in the game. This causes a lot of rotations by other players to cover up for him, and it leads to open shots.

We shouldn't be upset at Arians lack of defensive ability. He does try really hard, but he just isn't good. We got him to score. No matter what level you are on, there are guys who are good scorers but coaches know are mediocre or worse defenders. Everyone isn't a two way player.

Last edited:

And nearly a decade at KU and his lifetime in the game and being taught the game by a list of Hall of fame coaches.

As 76 said, he got here with the cupboard bare and nothing in the pipeline. The last two seasons, we had the worst wings than at any time in the 45+ years I've been following Wake bball. What makes that worse is that in today's game, wings are absolutely critical rather than being the luxury they used to be.

Last edited:
UVA only added the 8th best recruiting class in the country this year. The worst player they added is 80 spots higher than the best player we added.

I have read that they are even redshirting 2 of those freshmen. That is a luxury LOWF hasn't had in a long while (realizing that some of our recruits should have redshirted).

Chill, Washington and Mathias seem to have the potential to be pretty good. Only Chill has to play much this year so we are ok until Collins and Dinos leave. We need to be recruiting a good center and power forward right now. We look solid for a while at PG, SG and SF.

What's the take on Shaka, not exactly lighting it up in Austin. Makes me wonder if he would have been the answer in Winston, given the resources UT has in place.

The Utah game yesterday was probably a good precursor to our game. Kept it within 10 @Xavier and they are a similar team to us ranking wise. It's a tough game but certainly not unwinnable.

Key to our having a chance against X is for the three ball to be falling for us and not them and getting the ball inside to JC for the whole game, not just a half. If FSU can beat Fla we can beat X.

If we score more points than them then we will win guys.

I've done a lot of research on this subject so you can trust my conclusion.

#22 ESPN RPI

An even halfway decent ACC performance will leave us with a strong RPI.

I think our realistic ceiling is something around 18-12 (9-9) (L@Xavier, Home L's to Duke/UNC, road wins @ BC and State).

That would leave us with an RPI around 30 and a very good argument for the tourney. 16-14 (add a home L to Louisville and Take away win @ State) should be baseline expectation and would put us at ~48.

If we score more points than them then we will win guys.

I've done a lot of research on this subject so you can trust my conclusion.

Glad you've learned about our American sports.

An even halfway decent ACC performance will leave us with a strong RPI.

I think our realistic ceiling is something around 18-12 (9-9) (L@Xavier, Home L's to Duke/UNC, road wins @ BC and State).

That would leave us with an RPI around 30 and a very good argument for the tourney. 16-14 (add a home L to Louisville and Take away win @ State) should be baseline expectation and would put us at ~48.

I think that is pie in the sky best case scenario based on early season performance. Hope to be proven wrong.

Back