• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

by studs I mean not as highly rated as UNC and Duke

UVA have perfected finding guys who are very good but not so good that they leave early. A team with a touch of experience in the "new" NCAA (post one and done implementation) can have a lot of success as opposed to the blue bloods that have to re-tool a roster year after year. I love what UVA is doing. I wish we could somehow do the same.

UVA have perfected finding guys who are very good but not so good that they leave early. A team with a touch of experience in the "new" NCAA (post one and done implementation) can have a lot of success as opposed to the blue bloods that have to re-tool a roster year after year. I love what UVA is doing. I know we could somehow do the same.

Very similarly ranked academic schools. No reason to think that Wake couldn't do this as well.

We need to find our Tony B as coach. :thumbsup:

Yes but, as Birdman showed in his data, talent is responsible for 60-65% of team success on average. Meaning you'd need a Popovic or Stevens to coach a much less talented squad to shift that percentage to the other end of 50%.

It was rc107's data. I just did a simple little regression analysis.

Here is the regression with Bz:
4Ne4nru.jpg

And here it is without:
v3J6p6F.jpg

Manning's points are in red. When you fall below the line your team out performs their talent score, when you fall above the team under performs. The "talent scores", and RC can correct me if I'm wrong, are the team average of the number of stars that a recruit had from the recruiting services at the end of this senior year of high school plus .5 stars for each year of college, so a Junior that was a 3-star would have a score of 4. These are just for Wake's teams going back to 2002 (I think) when KenPom started.

If it's about stars for recruits, Duke and KY should have won the past 10 NCAAT.

If it's about stars for recruits, Duke and KY should have won the past 10 NCAAT.

This regression doesn't relate NCAA championships to talent, it relates final Kenpom rank to talent at the start of the season.

Not sure what you mean by "studs" exactly but:

Devon Hall #62 overall 4 star
Isaiah Wilkins #97 overall 4 star
Mamadi Diakite #27 overall 5 star
Kyle Guy #43 overall 4 star
Deandre Hunter #106 overall 4 star
Ty Jerome #31 overall 4 star
Jay Huff #36 overall 4 star

Only Jack Salt and Nigel Johnson are not rated this highly. #270 overall 3 star and unranked (from what I can find).

All these were taken from 247 composite and crosschecked to make sure they are the largest contributors on the team (they are). Seems like a lot of talent if you ask me

Interesting comparison. Thanks. Wake has three guys in the top 100 on 247 on their team: Doral, Crawford, who was low 90's, and Chaundee. Also, NC State has several more top 100 guys than we do.

There was some earlier post saying why Wake doesn't ever win the lottery when it comes to recruits. We did. Last year with Collins. Other posts were saying Aminu never played up to his ranking. He averaged nearly a double double as a sophomore and has had a long NBA career. People on this board expect miracles.

Last edited:
i don't think the assertion is that you personally take on the coaches' personality, but the emotions of the coach definitely impact the players. otherwise arguing foul and getting a T would not be a thing

i don't think the assertion is that you personally take on the coaches' personality, but the emotions of the coach definitely impact the players. otherwise arguing foul and getting a T would not be a thing

That makes more sense. I didn't take on the personalities of any coach I had but they could definitely get me hyped up in certain circumstances (never had to be calmed down).

Basically just want to state that I don’t understand the apathy of all of the coaches many times. Especially In our late game collapses.

Interesting comparison. Thanks. Wake has three guys in the top 100 on 247 on their team: Doral, Crawford, who was low 90's, and Chaundee. Also, NC State has several more top 100 guys than we do.

There was some earlier post saying why Wake doesn't ever win the lottery when it comes to recruits. We did. Last year with Collins. Other posts were saying Aminu never played up to his ranking. He averaged nearly a double double as a sophomore and has had a long NBA career. People on this board expect miracles.

From players. And they make excuses for coaches.

I played basketball for a very long time and don't think I mimicked the personality of a single one of my coaches. I get that doesn't represent the whole, but it is not a certainty that this happens.

Yeah but DV7 has eaten Doritos on a couch for a very long time, so he knows better.

so our all-time winning record against UVA is one of many comparative statistics which demonstrate that we should be comparing ourselves to UVA

on the day Bz was hired, WF had:

more NCAA appearances than UVA
more sweet 16s than UVA
more Elite 8s than UVA
more ACC tournament championships than UVA
one fewer ACC regular season title than UVA
one fewer Final 4 appearance than UVA

UVA isn't recruiting studs; they can't compete with UNC and Duke for top 20 talent

however, they made a home run coaching hire and are winning because of it while we try to figure out which slot we'll have for Tuesday in Brooklyn

How many of these are still true?

the other reality here is that if you are coaching at Wake Forest, you are going to have to overcome a talent disparity against UNC and Duke for starters, as every WF coach has tried to do for 40+ years, and therefore you had better be an above average to great coach if the goal is to win championships

Acquiring talent is part of being a great coach. You better be a great coach if the goal is to win championships.

From players. And they make excuses for coaches.

I haven’t seen more than a handful of posters make excuses for Manning this year. I did see plenty of people demanding that Manning have us back in the top 25 by year 3.

I also see people using Manning’s failure to be Tony Bennett this year as evidence of his in unsalvageable ineptitude as a coach.

Do people think Coach K could make the NCAAT with this squad?

Interesting question. Given the amount of talent we know is on this team, Manning should have gotten more out of them. The team should be better than they are. Whether that means NCAA can come down to luck in 2-3 games. But I sure as shit know this team should not be losing to Georgia Southern, Liberty, Drake, and many of the other shit shows I've watched this season.

Back