• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Shaka not getting fired would probably be a positive for us. That would clearly be the #1 job open this cycle, unless Roy, K, Boeheim, or some other old fogey decides to hang it up.

I guess Self could leave for the NBA after KU wins it all this year and before they have to vacate it.

Shaka not getting fired would probably be a positive for us. That would clearly be the #1 job open this cycle, unless Roy, K, Boeheim, or some other old fogey decides to hang it up.

I guess Self could leave for the NBA after KU wins it all this year and before they have to vacate it.

NBA jobs won’t open until May/June, after the normal college basketball job cycle ends. See Michigan last year. Jay Wright may be another guy that gets NBA interest, though I have no idea if he’s interested in making that jump.

Good lord, people! NO DOOKIES coaching on our bench. Period!

Let's not forget that the only coach to take Wake to the Final Four played at State and UNC. Some Dookies I can handle - Hurley is one. Sorry, Mothersodear.

Just win, baby.

For going on a decade now, we're a starved fanbase. We want to be good again.

NBA jobs won’t open until May/June, after the normal college basketball job cycle ends. See Michigan last year. Jay Wright may be another guy that gets NBA interest, though I have no idea if he’s interested in making that jump.

That shouldn’t matter for us. We should have a coach by then.

Let's not forget that the only coach to take Wake to the Final Four played at State and UNC. Some Dookies I can handle - Hurley is one. Sorry, Mothersodear.

No Wojo, no Scheir, and no Greg Newton.

I grew up in NC. I do. If Wake hires anyone associated with Duke basketball I’m out for good.

I would be less concerned about a Duke former player specifically and more concerned that the prospective coach is from a blue blood program.

Blue blood programs typically have more talent than their opponents in the vast majority of their games. When the don't, the mess at u*NC is what you get. Or Wake currently. Danny learned his coaching skills at blue blood Kansas. He recruits like he did at Tulsa. Bad combination.

Wake needs a coach who has figured out how to "do more with less" because as pointed out elsewhere, Wake successfully recruits about one 5 star per decade. That isn't easily learned where you almost always have more talent.

Recruiting sweet spot for the next coach needs to be the top 50 to 150, with at least one top 75 guy. Then the new coach has to be able to coach them up and get them to stay for three or four years. The team and players need to look like they learned something and are playin better in late February than they were in November.

That is why a guy with a resume like Steve Forbes would be a good candidate, after Matta and Beilein say no. (And Shaka does just enough to survive at Texas.) He spent time at non-blue blood P6 schools. He has his current mid-major team playing at a high level as the season ends.

Forbes may be unacceptable at Wake because of his association with NCAA Violations at TN.

I would be less concerned about a Duke former player specifically and more concerned that the prospective coach is from a blue blood program.

Blue blood programs typically have more talent than their opponents in the vast majority of their games. When the don't, the mess at u*NC is what you get. Or Wake currently. Danny learned his coaching skills at blue blood Kansas. He recruits like he did at Tulsa. Bad combination.

Wake needs a coach who has figured out how to "do more with less" because as pointed out elsewhere, Wake successfully recruits about one 5 star per decade. That isn't easily learned where you almost always have more talent.

Recruiting sweet spot for the next coach needs to be the top 50 to 150, with at least one top 75 guy. Then the new coach has to be able to coach them up and get them to stay for three or four years. The team and players need to look like they learned something and are playin better in late February than they were in November.

That is why a guy with a resume like Steve Forbes would be a good candidate, after Matta and Beilein say no. (And Shaka does just enough to survive at Texas.) He spent time at non-blue blood P6 schools. He has his current mid-major team playing at a high level as the season ends.

Forbes may be unacceptable at Wake because of his association with NCAA Violations at TN.

This makes 100% logical and factual sense, but you don't get it.

Fuck Duke.

Russell Turner is 19-10 this year at UC Irvine, with an 11-2 conference record. He has made some variation of the post-season 6 of his 10 years: 2013 CIT, 2014 NIT, 2015 NCAA, 2016 CIT, 2017 NIT and 2019 NCAA.

Russell Turner is 19-10 this year at UC Irvine, with an 11-2 conference record. He has made some variation of the post-season 6 of his 10 years: 2013 CIT, 2014 NIT, 2015 NCAA, 2016 CIT, 2017 NIT and 2019 NCAA.

source.gif

Yeah, and Russell Turner's a nice guy but he's not getting this job.

I just want Currie to find a class act like Clawson. He understands Wake and wanted the job a d presented a proven plan to have us successful. He builds character and loyalty and wins. That is what I want in our next basketball coach. Just 180° from what we have now

Back