• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

To be clear, I don't want either of them. The point is that the only reason why anyone is talking about Turner is because he was an assistant at Wake 20 years ago. Russell Turner would be a LOWF hire.

You know who wouldn't be a LOWF hire? The head coach of a top-20 Penn State team!!

So in other words you are "bored" by winning basketball? I see. The kind of winning basketball we had under GDO with 2 ACC titles and lots of points scored also or games that could grind down, defense played and we controlled the basketball instead of turning it over and made our FT's to win the game [in other words averaged 20 wins per season]. Just in case you have not seen Russell Turner's actual record, last season he went 31-6 and won an NCAA game. The past 8 seasons he has won 20 games 7 times including this season soon since UC-I is 19-10 & 11-2 and 3.5 games in first place]. They are a 1 team league and he has gone twice to the NCAA but he has won in order--21, 23, 21, 28, 21, 18, 31 & now 19 games in these past years.

His wife Liz went to Wake Med School and was in school out at Stanford so it is possible he could not move for a while. Now she is a critical care physician for Kaiser Permanente. She would fit in well at the Wake Forest medical campus also! So we would get a great "two-fer".

117, 118, 256, 222, 157, 129, 199, 201, 280, 186. This is where Turner's offense has ranked in the last 10 years. You bring up last year's record, and ignore he was 18-17 the year before. He's made the NCAA tournament only 22% of the time. There are way better options out there. This guy is not top-10. LOWF hire.

Coach Odom brought in Rodney and Randolph right off the bat. Who can bring in top talent immediately is my top concern.

Wainwright had already been recruiting RR during his time on Staak’s staff. UNC and Duke didn’t recruit him because of his grades and SAT. NCSU was going through the Valvano mess. RR fell into our laps. We also signed Tree Owens and others in the class. RR is the main reason Chill chose to come to WF. Then Tim Duncan was discovered by chance and quickly developed into a legendary player. The stars had to align for three of our all-time greats to play in a 6 year period. We need a new coach to give us a chance for something like that to happen again.

Wainwright had already been recruiting RR during his time on Staak’s staff. UNC and Duke didn’t recruit him because of his grades and SAT. NCSU was going through the Valvano mess. RR fell into our laps. We also signed Tree Owens and others in the class. RR is the main reason Chill chose to come to WF. Then Tim Duncan was discovered by chance and quickly developed into a legendary player. The stars had to align for three of our all-time greats to play in a 6 year period. We need a new coach to give us a chance for something like that to happen again.

This puzzled me at the time and still does today. Anybody know how our admissions were o.k. with his recruitment and in particular Cheater Hill was not?

We need a good fit for WFU. Miller, Kelsey and Turner would fit. Just fire Manning and hire one of this trio.

I'm starting to come around to Forbes.

The guy at Furman or liberty (UVA ties) might also work.

This puzzled me at the time and still does today. Anybody know how our admissions were o.k. with his recruitment and in particular Cheater Hill was not?

My recollection of the folklore is that he took a late SAT or a proctored SAT and Duke/UNC had filled up by the time he fully qualified, but we had not.

I remember when Dave Odom as an assistant coach played tennis with the AD Gene Hooks. Dave was always thinking ahead.

Stanford had a coaching vacancy four years ago and went with Jerrod Hasse of UAB/Unc/Kansas. Seems like Turner would have been a natural fit for them.

Completely missed that. He was a good player for Kansas although he’d be a good trivia question about who started with Paul Pierce, Raef Lafrentz, Scot Pollard, and Jacques Vaughn. Had no idea he was in coaching.

And that has been one of the unpleasant surprises. At Kansas, Danny had a reputation as as a developer of big men. John Collins went from three star to near lottery pick in two years and many thought that would continue at Wake, but Collins has been the only big guy who showed great improvement. Puzzling.

I think all the bigs who have played significantly minutes under Manning are playing pro ball now. DT, Collins, Dinos, Moore, Hoard. I think our bigs have improved but have been poorly utilized.

My recollection of the folklore is that he took a late SAT or a proctored SAT and Duke/UNC had filled up by the time he fully qualified, but we had not.

Actually Wake was "full" as well. However, Itzil Cohen, an international player from Israel, decided he would rather fly fighter jets for the Israeli Air Force instead of playing basketball in America. And just like that, Odom had a vacant scholarship right about the time RoRo got his qualifying SAT score.

I am a big John Currie guy. You may recall I called for his hiring many times through the years. The scoffing came then too.

Wes Miller has been up since 5 working this morning. Danny Manning and his 50 million in NBA earnings is lazy, dumb, & predictably sleeping in again.

Dude, nobody was scoffing at the idea of John Currie being our next AD. He’s been on just about everyone’s short list to succeed Wellman for a decade.

Some preferred Mike Buddie, but just as many (if not more) preferred John due to him having more experience.

Quit acting like you’re some sort of visionary thinker who is two steps ahead of the rest of us. Those of us around Winston and Wake athletics for the last 20 years know your M.O. It’s pathetic.

Something happened with Buddie in the AD about 8 years ago. Think he saw the writing on the wall and left for Furman job.

Something happened with Buddie in the AD about 8 years ago. Think he saw the writing on the wall and left for Furman job.

Did something actually happen because that seemed like a pretty standard career move if he wants to be an AD in P5 conference one day?

Back