• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

That's actually a good question. Didn't make his list of 10 mid-major coaches to watch. Surprising.

Didn't mention Bob Richey, either.

Or Ritchie McKay. I wonder how much better the Wake job is this year than the VT opening last year. The Hokies had some momentum and good vibes around the program even if the cupboard was fairly bare. Would Blackshear have left anyway? who knows. Granted, the Triad is closer culturally to South Orange than is B-burg. We report, you decide.

Behind the Athletic paywall, but here is a very good article on Willard: https://theathletic.com/1534256/2020/01/15/you-better-want-to-work-how-kevin-willard-has-built-seton-hall-into-a-consistent-top-25-program/

Makes me feel a bit better about him. He acknowledges that he came into the Seton Hall job without much of a plan and that it set him back in the beginning. I can get past that given he was 34 years old at the time (and since he's obviously turned things around since then). Article also makes it seem like Seton Hall is a shithole, both in location and facilities.

Maybe he'd be a good fit at Wake Forest... I can't answer that.

I remember reading that article and thinking he'd be worth a good hard look for Wake

I had the opportunity today to ask Sr AD staffer whom I have known for almost 35 yrs this question:
"despite Tuesday's result, do you believe a decision had already been made?" His candid response face to face was "John knew coming back to Wake, he had to fix basketball but with the transition, needed to see all aspects of the impact for the program after now almost 6 years and he knows what needs to be done."

I had the opportunity today to ask Sr AD staffer whom I have known for almost 35 yrs this question:
"despite Tuesday's result, do you believe a decision had already been made?" His candid response face to face was "John knew coming back to Wake, he had to fix basketball but with the transition, needed to see all aspects of the impact for the program after now almost 6 years and he knows what needs to be done."

Extend DM with a 30M buyout?

Just looked at Seton Hall's recruiting classes for last 5 years or so and only a handful of top 100 guys, mostly guys ranked 100-200 and some transfers. I like that Willard seemed to be able to coach them up and win with them, but would have liked to have seen a few more highly regarded guys that Willard recruited.

I assume there is sarcasm here. But really not a prudent choice. I dont think he was even CSU’s first choice after they ran the lunatic Eustachey out of town.

Eh, I can't say I followed the CSU coaching search but I bet he was pretty high up their list. He was a long time assistant there and did a hell of a turn around at Furman (#342 the year before he took over, #106 the year he left). Even his one year at Drake represented an improvement from #258 to #155.

The guy has regional ties and has significantly improved 3 different programs.

Can’t edit but meant to add this is Conor’s article on attendance from Odom through DMan

Is the Chris King quoted in the article the former bball player? I believe Chris King the player graduated in '92.

I prefer Miller to Forbes for a variety of reasons. But still hoping for a bigger splash hire.

I prefer Miller to Forbes for a variety of reasons. But still hoping for a bigger splash hire.

Why? Forbes does better in a similar situation.

Shaka's gotten his team on the NCAA bubble.

We review his record 20 years from now and pull up this thread and see how close we may have been to a legendary coach and rehash how he wasn't good enough for Wake after Texas.

Why? Forbes does better in a similar situation.

Age (especially considering they’ve been a D1 head coach for about the same time, connection to Wake that Miller has, the belief that Miller is more likely to stay at Wake for life if successful. Wouldn’t be upset with Forbes, I just prefer Miller.

I'll start getting nervous at halftime on Saturday of the ACCT if we are still alive.

Back