• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Wes Miller, UNCG | He’s obviously enjoyed plenty of success in the SoCon, and it doesn’t hurt that he played at North Carolina. He’s a heck of a coach. But what could give him an advantage over everyone else at Wake Forest is that the Deacons’ practice facility is the Miller Center — named after Wes’ father, Ken.

Others have said it but this is why I hope we don't hire Miller. He may turn out to be a fantastic coach but if he is hired at Wake and fails, I think his leash will be even longer than Manning's.

Willard is younger than them and will make his 5th straight NCAAT. It would be hard to do better.

I don't necessarily disagree... He's probably a safe hire, but I'm just saying it wouldn't excite me.

It took until his 6th year at Seton Hall to get above .500 in the Big East. He's had a good run there over the last 5 years... No question. But even in his best year (2016), they were a 6 seed and lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs after going 12-6 in the Big East.

FWIW, Seton Hall's KP Program Rank is 67 (vs. 57 for Wake Forest)... So it's not a stretch to assume he might be interested.

Kevin Willard reminds me of Ralph Willard, which makes sense because that's his dad.

Also reminds me of Fred Willard.

HURLEY HURLEY HURLEY !!!!!!!

I don't necessarily disagree... He's probably a safe hire, but I'm just saying it wouldn't excite me.

It took until his 6th year at Seton Hall to get above .500 in the Big East. He's had a good run there over the last 5 years... No question. But even in his best year (2016), they were a 6 seed and lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs after going 12-6 in the Big East.

FWIW, Seton Hall's KP Program Rank is 67 (vs. 57 for Wake Forest)... So it's not a stretch to assume he might be interested.

He probably isn’t. He played at Pitt under his dad. I assume they tried to get him.

I don’t know if there’s anybody getable who I would be excited about before the press conference. That’s partly because I barely follow college hoops anymore.

You can be such a troll sometimes.

Do you really enjoy rustling the jimmies of all of the NEVER DUKE folks around here that much?

He probably isn’t. He played at Pitt under his dad. I assume they tried to get him.

I don’t know if there’s anybody getable who I would be excited about before the press conference. That’s partly because I barely follow college hoops anymore.

Yeah, I don't know the story w/ Pitt & Willard. I assumed Capel was one of their top choices.

From that same Goodman article on why he thinks Willard might leave:

2) Kevin Willard, Seton Hall | He spurned Virginia Tech a year ago, but we’ll see if something more attractive comes his way this offseason. Not only will Willard, who is set to go to his fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament, lose Myles Powell from a top-15 team, but Seton Hall is not an easy job. He’s basically maxed it out.

And he specifically mentioned Wake Forest and Willard in that other section I referenced.

Behind the Athletic paywall, but here is a very good article on Willard: https://theathletic.com/1534256/2020/01/15/you-better-want-to-work-how-kevin-willard-has-built-seton-hall-into-a-consistent-top-25-program/

Makes me feel a bit better about him. He acknowledges that he came into the Seton Hall job without much of a plan and that it set him back in the beginning. I can get past that given he was 34 years old at the time (and since he's obviously turned things around since then). Article also makes it seem like Seton Hall is a shithole, both in location and facilities.

Maybe he'd be a good fit at Wake Forest... I can't answer that.

Going for four posts in a row here!!!

Found this when I did a search of the Pitt coaching search from a couple of years ago... On Willard's dad coaching at Pitt:

Ralph Willard was fired at Pitt in 1999 with a 63-82 record and no NCAA Tournament appearances in five seasons. His tenure with the Panthers had been seen as something of a low-water mark for the program, with the lack of on-the-court success compounded by a slew of off-the-court incidents.

Doesn't seem like Kevin Willard would have been itching to go back there. Played sparingly for 2 seasons after transferring in from Western Kentucky.

As has been discussed, Currie’s history is to swing for the fences with a big name hire. However, with the massive buyout sell job to Hatch and the Board, maybe he hires a cheaper candidate like Miller or another mid major, with a ton of incentives. He looks great to the Board by saving significantly on the new coach’s original salary, and we still end up with a decent coach with little downside, as compared to Shaka for example.

Jeff Goodman Coaching Carousel article: https://watchstadium.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-cheat-sheet-for-2020-02-27-2020/

Stars off with "FIVE BURNING QUESTIONS"... One of which is "Will John Beilein return to college hoops?" Says Wake Forest & Boston College could be in play.

THESE GUYS ARE TRENDING OUT: Smart (Texas), Christian (BC), Manning (WFU)

HIGH-MAJOR COACHES TO WATCH: Smart, Willard, Hurley (Az St), Bennett, Chambers, Pitino (Minny)

MID-MAJOR COACHES TO WATCH:

Under "UNEMPLOYED AND LOOKING" he mentions Matta is not included because he'll be incredibly selective if he decides to return.

So lots of WFU mentions... Thought was worth passing along.

How the fuck does Jeff Goodman not mention Niko Medved?!?!?

This will be Willard's fifth consecutive season of 20+ wins, a .500+ conference record and a NCAA tournament invitation. If he can do that at Seton Hall he can do that at Wake Forest.

Going for four posts in a row here!!!

Found this when I did a search of the Pitt coaching search from a couple of years ago... On Willard's dad coaching at Pitt:

Doesn't seem like Kevin Willard would have been itching to go back there. Played sparingly for 2 seasons after transferring in from Western Kentucky.

Makes sense. Guess that could be us if Evan or Brandon go on to be NCAA Tournament head coaches.

All this info makes Willard seem a lot more possible. If Seton Hall has a good tourney run, he would qualify as a big name hire.

Kevin Willard has a good resume. A win or two in the NCAA tournament would make him tres attractive to me.

Back