• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Forbes continues to roll at ETSU. Beat Wofford 60-54 last night. 26-4, 15-2 in conference.

He has to be on the short list if not the top candidate.

2014–15 Wake Forest 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 Wake Forest 11–20 2–16 13th
2016–17 Wake Forest 19–14 9–9 10th NCAA Division I First Four
2017–18 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 13th
2019-20 Wake Forest 12-15 5-12 14th

Wake Forest: 65–93 (.411) 24–66 (.267)

There is precedent for an ACC team to hire the ETSU coach... Les Robinson to NC State in 1990....

Didn't know Forbes was boys w/ Nick Nurse & Chris Jans.

Podcast is a good listen. Forbes is a humble, salt of the earth kind of guy that loves coaching basketball. I don't think the UT stuff is a red flag.

I'd like Forbes to be our next coach, I think.

Podcast is a good listen. Forbes is a humble, salt of the earth kind of guy that loves coaching basketball. I don't think the UT stuff is a red flag.

Agreed. The one thing that worries me is that Forbes has never coached at a school even remotely like WF, where academics and graduating players matters. But if I had to hire today I'd pick him.

Agreed. The one thing that worries me is that Forbes has never coached at a school even remotely like WF, where academics and graduating players matters. But if I had to hire today I'd pick him.

does it though? Most all of our guys under Danny have left before graduation, I think.

Not sure if you're referencing the margin of victory or not, but the final score wasn't really indicative of how close the game was throughout the second half. Still, not a good look for Miller to lose to Furman at home (as slight favorites) with conference tourney seeding on the line. Heck of a halftime buzzer beater by UNCG from almost full court, if you didn't see it.

I didn’t see it. Just saw the score.

does it though? Most all of our guys under Danny have left before graduation, I think.

I may be wrong, but until Childress this season, I thought Wilbekin was the ONLY player to have lasted 4 years in Manning's program.

I’m a big fan of Shaka but I’m really liking what I see and hear of Forbes. Seems to be a players’ coach and a down to earth guy. His record speaks for itself. I have little doubt that he can adjust to coaching at a school like Wake.

Wilbekin is still the only player to have lasted 4 years in Manning's program whose dad wasn't an assistant coach.

I may be wrong, but until Childress this season, I thought Wilbekin was the ONLY player to have lasted 4 years in Manning's program.

I mean that's a little disingenuous considering this is his 6th season. Meaning there's only been 3 recruiting classes that could have potentially been here those 4 years. Childress and Wilbekin are the ones that did it. The ones that didn't are: Rondale Watson, Cornelius Hudson, Dinos, Doral, Crawford, Collins, Rich Washington, Sam Japhet-Mathias, and Donovan Mitchell. 2016 class was obviously a huge problem, but aside from that can't fully blame Manning for what happened with the 2015 class and the 2014 class was his first one and the guy he brought over from Tulsa did graduate (Mitch).

Guys like Devin Thomas, CMM, Mcclinton, Andre Washington graduated under Manning.

I mean that's a little disingenuous considering this is his 6th season. Meaning there's only been 3 recruiting classes that could have potentially been here those 4 years. Childress and Wilbekin are the ones that did it. The ones that didn't are: Rondale Watson, Cornelius Hudson, Dinos, Doral, Crawford, Collins, Rich Washington, Sam Japhet-Mathias, and Donovan Mitchell. 2016 class was obviously a huge problem, but aside from that can't fully blame Manning for what happened with the 2015 class and the 2014 class was his first one and the guy he brought over from Tulsa did graduate (Mitch).

Guys like Devin Thomas, CMM, Mcclinton, Andre Washington graduated under Manning.

In reality, we want MORE players like Doral, Crawford, Dinos and JC. Guys that were good enough that they left Wake to go play pro ball (even if only 2/4 of those were good decisions). Giving him credit for Wilbekin and knocking him for what happened with those guys is a dumb criticism, so let's just stick to the obvious ones like he's a bad basketball coach.

My brother was at Wofford/ETSU last night and says Forbes is a hot head and screamer compared to sleepy Danny but gets results. Wofford was up 13 at the half. However Forbes made adjustments (unlike sleepy) and clamped down on defense in 2nd half and Wofford folded under the pressure. To me this is exactly what Wake needs. Forbes has split with Furman this year and swept Wes. Has also beaten LSU. They have lost to Pack and have a bad loss to Mercer but beat them the 2nd time around.

Curie knows this guy from Knoxville and I think he has to be odds on favorite at this point.

I discount Washington, given that he redshirted as a Senior. Having said that, I do give Manning credit for allowing him to do it. Classy move, if done for the right reasons.

Is anyone else kind of in panic mode right now?

We just beat Duke by double digits last night for the first time in years. Great crowd, tons of students celebrating afterwards.
Now, we could very easily win 14 or 15 games and also an ACC tourney game. I think that could very well happen.

What do we think it would take for him to stay next year? Or do you think Currie already has his mind set no matter what happens. This win to Duke was amazing don’t get me wrong. But there was a bad feeling in my stomach that this is exactly what our program didn’t need.

Based on KP win probability, WF has a 5% chance to win its final 3 (52% x 37% x 26%). If the odds were 50/50 for WF to win its ACCT opener, that would put WF's chance at 2.5% to reach 16 wins and guarantee a .500 record. FWIW, not sure even that would do it, but to play devil's advocate, I would say there is a 1 in 40 chance for this WF team to get to .500 for the season, and prolong Manning's tenure. IOW, not very likely.

Back