• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Yeah, I understand that. I'm not advocating that there's anything Manning can do that makes retaining him the correct decision short of winning the NCAAT. Just curious how vocal Wake fans would be about firing him after the unexpected joy of an ACCT Championship.

The purpose of competition is to win championships. If this team won the ACC championship it would be the Wake's fifth championship in 67 years of competition. I would have no objection if Manning is retained. That is the ONLY reason to retain him.

NCAAT or bust.

14/15 ACCT seed doesn't get it done in year 6 short of Danny winning 5 games in 5 days for the ACCT Champ auto bid.

If, IF, that happened, I would support one, AND ONLY ONE, more year.
That's absolutely all the fool would deserve.

You’ve heard the oft-repeated dictum, if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. You might never have heard its slightly less well-known corollary; if a coach deserves only one more year, he actually deserves zero more years.

The odds against WF winning the ACCT are probably a million to 1. A Manning coached team winning 5 straight ACC games on consecutive days is beyond a pipe dream. We beat an overrated Duke team which never plays true road games except those mandated by the ACC. If we beat Notre Dame and win at UNC and NCSU, I might change my tune. But that’s not going to happen either.

You’ve heard the oft-repeated dictum, if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. You might never have heard its slightly less well-known corollary; if a coach deserves only one more year, he actually deserves zero more years.
That dictum is smegma.

Furman with a surprisingly big victory at UNCG tonight, 81-67. UNCG drops to third in the SoCon.

The odds against WF winning the ACCT are probably a million to 1.

Manning:
NiftyCreamyCanadagoose-size_restricted.gif

I'll throw another name out there.

Niko Medved. Former head coach at Furman, now head coach at Colorado State. His teams have shown progress in wins each year. He was an assistant under Dan Munson at Minnesota.
Link to his Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Medved

Niko Medved. Former head coach at Furman, now head coach at Colorado State. His teams have shown progress in wins each year. He was an assistant under Dan Munson at Minnesota.

Wish he had a bit more high major recruiting experience, but he did a really nice turn around at Furman, increased the win totals by 10 in his one season at Drake, and is in the midst of a nice turn around at Colorado State.

Wish he had a bit more high major recruiting experience, but he did a really nice turn around at Furman, increased the win totals by 10 in his one season at Drake, and is in the midst of a nice turn around at Colorado State.

He has 8 years recruiting experience as a P5 assistant. Also, has never taken a team to the NCAA tournament or NIT.

Interesting commentary this morning on the First Team with McElroy & Dakich about offenses current coaches run and player shooting skills. I good listen if you can find it online.

He has 8 years recruiting experience as a P5 assistant. Also, has never taken a team to the NCAA tournament or NIT.

He had 1 year? 2006-2007?

Drake and Furman both only won 7 games the year before he was hired. Colorado State only won 11.

Yeah, misread on my part. I saw Colorado instead of Colorado State.

Safe bet Niko isn't getting this job.

No coaches from the entire state of Colorado!!! Just kidding of course. Kind of. Not really.

The guy has more losing seasons than winning ones. Chris Mooney has a more impressive resume and he is on nobody's radar. You can't go from names like Beilein, Matta, Steve Forbes....to Niko Medved.

I am not putting him at the top of my list, but he does check multiple boxes on my list of criteria.
Teams improved under his coaching? 📈 check
P6 recruiting, non blue blood? Check
Head coach? Check.

Furman with a surprisingly big victory at UNCG tonight, 81-67. UNCG drops to third in the SoCon.

Not sure if you're referencing the margin of victory or not, but the final score wasn't really indicative of how close the game was throughout the second half. Still, not a good look for Miller to lose to Furman at home (as slight favorites) with conference tourney seeding on the line. Heck of a halftime buzzer beater by UNCG from almost full court, if you didn't see it.

The guy has more losing seasons than winning ones. Chris Mooney has a more impressive resume and he is on nobody's radar. You can't go from names like Beilein, Matta, Steve Forbes....to Niko Medved.

Look at where the teams he got were the year before he arrived, and what kind of talent was on the team when he arrived. His losing seasons were in his earlier years at a school. The longer he stayed, the better the team. Looks like he will approximately flip his CSU record from last year. 12- 20 last year. Could easily go 20-12 or better in 2020. Currently 19-11 (10-8) with one regular season game left. Followed by the conf tournament.

Back