• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Edit: Or the field of 64 I suppose. We would almost certainly be one of the play-in teams I'd think.

Wake-Forest-Danny-Manning-NCAA-640-438.jpg

"I'd like to thank God for my athletic ability, my agent for being one hell of a salesman and making me financially impervious to termination, and Ron Wellman for forgetting to take his dementia medication during our last round of negotiations. See y'all in 2021!"

Preface: obviously this will not happen.

Say that Manning actually does lead a wild winning streak, and wins the ACCT. Regardless of what happens in the NCAAT, would your feelings regarding firing Manning be swayed?

Personally, I don't think I'd be outraged at keeping Manning at that point. I'd still think that it was bad for the future of the program and would prefer we fire him, but I don't think I'd be too upset with giving him another year.

Say that Manning actually does lead a wild winning streak, and wins the ACCT. Regardless of what happens in the NCAAT, would your feelings regarding firing Manning be swayed?

Personally, I don't think I'd be outraged at keeping Manning at that point. I'd still think that it was bad for the future of the program and would prefer we fire him, but I don't think I'd be too upset with giving him another year.

That’s how he got this job basically. A thoroughly mediocre in the regular season Tulsa team had a miracle run through CUSA and made the tournament. The rest is history.

Edit: Or the field of 64 I suppose. We would almost certainly be one of the play-in teams I'd think.

Unless we ended up as a 16 seed - than no. The play-in games are 2 games with the four 16 seeds and then 2 games with the last four teams to get at-large bids. Wake would be an auto qualifier under the "win out" scenario.

That’s how he got this job basically. A thoroughly mediocre in the regular season Tulsa team had a miracle run through CUSA and made the tournament. The rest is history.

Makes sense as we started this mess by firing a coach with lots of regular season success and poor post season performance. Guess we felt like having both was not an option.

Yeah, I understand that. I'm not advocating that there's anything Manning can do that makes retaining him the correct decision short of winning the NCAAT. Just curious how vocal Wake fans would be about firing him after the unexpected joy of an ACCT Championship.

Both Odom and Dino were shown the door after NCAA appearances. So Manning could continue the pattern.

Unless we ended up as a 16 seed - than no. The play-in games are 2 games with the four 16 seeds and then 2 games with the last four teams to get at-large bids. Wake would be an auto qualifier under the "win out" scenario.

Ha. We might deserve a 16! I did not realize the other play-in teams had to be at large bids.

Manning may have hit a hole in one last night but he is still 30 over par. Last night didn't confirm anything except that Wake has the talent to be much better than 5-12 in a down ACC. We are fortunate that Currie went to school at Wake when our program was rolling. He knows what we are capable of and i have to believe he wants to right the ship quickly. After being run out of UT, I am sure he wants to avoid a similar situation.

If, IF, that happened, I would support one, AND ONLY ONE, more year.
That's absolutely all the fool would deserve.

Even if we won out and got the ACC's auto-bid, I can't see us as anything higher than an eleventh seed. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't two of the elevens slated for the "first four" too? It at least seems like there's always an eleven/four matchup in the group.

Back