• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

UNCG struggled down the stretch and finished 3rd in the SoCon after losing at Chattanooga. Will play again in the 1st round of the SoCon Tournament.

Apropos of nothing, but I can't see Wes Miller as a serious candidate for the UNC job (whenever it opens) unless he has a successful stop elsewhere. The pool of candidates will be far too strong to justify bringing him in from UNCG, where he's been just solidly above-average and not exceptional.

Wake Forest? That's clearly a different situation... As I've said, I think we could do a lot worse, but I hope we do a lot better.

FWIW, this thread is likely quiet because there is nothing to discuss... We'll have more as employed candidates play conference tourneys (and Manning hopefully is shown the door).

Apropos of nothing, but I can't see Wes Miller as a serious candidate for the UNC job (whenever it opens) unless he has a successful stop elsewhere. The pool of candidates will be far too strong to justify bringing him in from UNCG, where he's been just solidly above-average and not exceptional.

Wake Forest? That's clearly a different situation... As I've said, I think we could do a lot worse, but I hope we do a lot better.

FWIW, this thread is likely quiet because there is nothing to discuss... We'll have more as employed candidates play conference tourneys (and Manning hopefully is shown the door).

I agree with all of this. I think the UNC job will go to Hubert Davis when the time comes.

This thread will reach 100+ pages within the next month, I have a feeling. ;)

This thread has gone eerily quite since Saturday.

Quiet with disbelief that some think Manning deserves another year based on a stretch of games. WFU needs to look at the body of work for the past 6 years. The program is losing money and fans.

Hope for a good run at the end for the team but still need to make a change at the end of the season.

Go Deacs.

It appears Beilein may be very much in play for Currie to get.

Based on what new info?

Man, I would LOVE to see who we could recruit with the Beilein name, ACC draw and our new facilities (and maybe a little NBA alumni involvement from those who saw the bullshit firsthand a few weeks ago). I don't care if he doesn't like recruiting anymore...he knows it's importance and can hire a staff to do the hard work. The players he could attract, along with his coaching, could have us back to being respectable and feared, knocking on the door of the top of the conference, in no time. Give us 5-6 years and we'd be set to hire a top replacement.

Based on what new info?

Won't speak for netflixnchildres, but I've seen and heard commentary that Beilein isn't really interested in Texas (and that Texas probably isn't all that interested in him). I've also seen plenty of articles mentioning that Beilein would like to return to college coaching ASAP. And I've read a few "hot seat" type articles on Manning that have mentioned that Beilein could be a candidate.

But obviously, we have no clue what Currie (or Beilein, for that matter) is thinking.

Quiet with disbelief that some think Manning deserves another year based on a stretch of games. WFU needs to look at the body of work for the past 6 years. The program is losing money and fans.

Hope for a good run at the end for the team but still need to make a change at the end of the season.

Go Deacs.

If Saar and Brown come back, and we get a new coach, I could get genuinely excited about next year.

Based on what new info?

Man, I would LOVE to see who we could recruit with the Beilein name, ACC draw and our new facilities (and maybe a little NBA alumni involvement from those who saw the bullshit firsthand a few weeks ago). I don't care if he doesn't like recruiting anymore...he knows it's importance and can hire a staff to do the hard work. The players he could attract, along with his coaching, could have us back to being respectable and feared, knocking on the door of the top of the conference, in no time. Give us 5-6 years and we'd be set to hire a top replacement.

That Texas is not in play. I'm biased, but I think with Texas out of the picture we have to be the #1 option.

Forbes article on Beilein landing spots

Sorry if this has already been posted - haven't been on in a while.

Interested tidbit at the end that Beilein may want to bring his son on as an assistant after leaving Niagara for personal reasons, which WFU and BC are speculated to be more willing to do.

Article says Wake, BC, and Texas all at 7/1 odds.

That Texas is not in play. I'm biased, but I think with Texas out of the picture we have to be the #1 option.

Yeah, I don't really get the articles that seem to imply BC would be a more likely landing spot if both BC and Wake are in play (I get the Vegas odds that take into account Wake's buyout). Maybe it's my B&G glasses (I didn't know I still had any), but I just don't see how the two compare unless it's because he has NE roots. But, at his age and with his $$, he should be contemplating a move South anyway.

Last edited:
Interested tidbit at the end that Beilein may want to bring his son on as an assistant after leaving Niagara for personal reasons, which WFU and BC are speculated to be more willing to do.

It wouldn't be a Wake coaching staff without nepotism. At least his son has relevant experience. I'm game as long as there's no "coach in waiting" expectation, but that really only sounds like bullshit at someone like Wellman would agree to.

Aside from Goodman's article a few days ago, there hasn't been much written on the coaching carousel lately.

Writers more focused on the winding down the the regular season, conference tourneys, and bubble talk (as they should be).

Kind of exciting that we could be less than 3 weeks away from the end of Manning, though!

Go Deacs.

I don't think he deserves another season. But, given the recent success AND the buy-out $$$, I'm leery of Hatch and Currie's motivation and willingness to change. Plus the team hasn't quit, actually playing well and they appear to be supportive of Manning. Also can't ignore Currie's relationship with Wellman and the risk of making Wellman look terrible less than a year after the endorsement of Manning and the gala celebration of Wellman's retirement.

I just don't feel real confident right now.

Logic tells me 10+ years has to end and a MAJOR resurrection is mandatory. But this is a lot closer than I thought it would be 5-6 weeks ago.

Aside from Goodman's article a few days ago, there hasn't been much written on the coaching carousel lately.

Writers more focused on the winding down the the regular season, conference tourneys, and bubble talk (as they should be).

Kind of exciting that we could be less than 3 weeks away from the end of Manning, though!

This is the reason I logged on today.

I wonder how much Wake's odds of +800 will fluctuate from now until the end of March.

Lots of speculation here, so bear with me...

I have to believe the decision has already been made by Currie. Therefore, the team playing better now could make it easier to lure a quality head coach. You could argue that there are some pieces here that have just largely been mismanaged... So if you're able to keep some talent around through the coaching transition, maybe it isn't a total rebuild (or at least not as daunting of a task).

I realize that's probably just slightly above the healthcare plan on the list of things a potential coach would care about, but I have to think it helps on some level.

Of course, we'll probably lose every talented player on the roster and finish 8-24 next year, regardless of coach.

Lots of speculation here, so bear with me...

I have to believe the decision has already been made by Currie. Therefore, the team playing better now could make it easier to lure a quality head coach. You could argue that there are some pieces here that have just largely been mismanaged... So if you're able to keep some talent around through the coaching transition, maybe it isn't a total rebuild (or at least not as daunting of a task).

I realize that's probably just slightly above the healthcare plan on the list of things a potential coach would care about, but I have to think it helps on some level.

Of course, we'll probably lose every talented player on the roster and finish 8-24 next year, regardless of coach.

Even if Sarr and Brown both come back next year, it's just for one year. Then you're rebuilding around Mucius, Oguama, Neath, Massoud, and Manning's incoming class.

This is the reason I logged on today.

I wonder how much Wake's odds of +800 will fluctuate from now until the end of March.

I keep thinking back to that gut punch of a Wellman/Manning media event to announce he was coming back for another year (~52 weeks). So I'm trying not to get too excited about getting through 49 of those weeks when we might have to tack on another 52 excrutiating weeks in the near future.

Even if Sarr and Brown both come back next year, it's just for one year. Then you're rebuilding around Mucius, Oguama, Neath, Massoud, and Manning's incoming class.

Sure, but you'd ideally have a better 2021 class coming in.

So next year could be OK. The year after probably a step back, but with hope. And then things improve.

I keep looking at Illinois and Underwood as how it could play out.

Forbes article on Beilein landing spots

Sorry if this has already been posted - haven't been on in a while.

Article says Wake, BC, and Texas all at 7/1 odds.

For those who aren't aware, the Niagara story was/is quite messy and may not yet be resolved legally. Given the recent pub on a former Wake assistant in NYC, I'm sure Currie would delve into this thoroughly with the son before agreeing to hire him.

Back