• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Great OTR quote from Les' reportage at DDD from Currie:
Currie: “Relationship building is what I learned to do here under Charlie Patterson, who came here from Greensboro to raise money for the coliseum some 40 years ago. Just like when we talk about the student athletes need to know we care, our contributors and fans need to understand whether it’s $50 or $50,000 that we care about them. So we’ll work hard and continue to develop those relationships. If you look, I think they do a great job of that here when you look at the changes across campus and the stature of the university.”

If he truly believes this and has the willpower to execute it, then perhaps we can restore optimism around our flagship program, despite what ol' Donnie Ross thinks. When will the next Timmy D fall from a tree!!?

Imagine Coach Manning ever saying something like this.

After today, my list is Beilein, Matta (sounds like he may actually be a possibility, and if he is, he should fall after Beilein), Craig Smith, then Pat Kelsey. I like what Kelsey is doing at Winthrop. What I really like about Kelsey, is he has a personality. We know if we get Kelsey, we won’t have a robot on the sidelines and in the press room. We’ll have somebody who we know wants to win, and will do what it takes to build some energy in the Joel. He’s about as energetic of a coach you can get. I like it, it’ll be a real change of pace after Manning and [Redacted].

Definitely love Beilein and Matta as choices. But either would require a minimum of $4 million per year in salary. Have a difficult time imaging Wake coughing up that amount of $. Kelsey definitely has a lot of Skip in him. Ritchie McKay's stock will rise dramatically if Liberty makes it to the Sweet 16. He's done an outstanding job at Liberty since returning - and his 6 years as Bennett's top assistant at U-Va are a plus. And he makes about $300,000 per year at Liberty.

FWIW, with Board fave Nate Oats at the helm, Bama has had an ugly finish to the season.

The Tide stood at 12-7 (4-2) at the end of January, and the NCAA tournament was a possibility. The Tide then stumbled to a 4-8 finish to the regular season with horrific losses to Vandy (at home) and Mizzou by 19 to end the year. Still like Nate Oats and good coaches can have bad seasons, but something went awry for team that was really competitive for most of the season.

Currie wouldn't have taken the job if he was going to be hamstrung on his first big hire.

If Shaka is let go by Texas, I could see him taking a new job immediately to try and show the problem was Texas, not Shaka.

Grade 7 sauce.

Any credit given to Pat Kelsey for winning the Big South tourney is misplaced.

After #1 seed Radford was upset, Winthrop's path to the tournament title was beating:

#325 USC Upstate
#218 Gardner Webb
#308 Hampton (at home)

Doubt their will be a team with an easier road to the NCAA tournament. Essentially, Winthrop avoided a major upset, which is good, but when judging a coaching performance, got to keep level of competition in mind.

After #1 seed Radford was upset, Winthrop's path to the tournament title was beating:

#325 USC Upstate
#218 Gardner Webb
#308 Hampton (at home)

Doubt their will be a team with an easier road to the NCAA tournament. Essentially, Winthrop avoided a major upset, which is good, but when judging a coaching performance, got to keep level of competition in mind.

Yup. Mistaking a team's short-term conference tournament success resulting in an NCAA tournament appearance as opposed to predictive wins/actual wins across multiple seasons is the easiest way to end up with fool's gold. See also: Manning, Danny

#325 USC Upstate
#218 Gardner Webb
#308 Hampton (at home)

Yup. Mistaking a team's short-term conference tournament success resulting in an NCAA tournament appearance as opposed to predictive wins/actual wins across multiple seasons is the easiest way to end up with fool's gold. See also: Manning, Danny

Exactly. Someone has to win these conference tournaments every year. It's perfectly reasonable that a conference will have 10-14 bad teams and 10-14 coaches that don't deserve a better job.

I've got a hot level 7 (or whatever is one level lower than the worst source listed) tidbit. I work with a guy and his wife is a high school coach. She just won some big coach of the year award so she's been back and forth on these national tournament things running into recruiters and such because the guys and girls apparently have similar or even the same locations for events. So now she's been hanging with a few college assistant coaches, and when I mentioned I went to Wake she said oh I just met your next coach. And I was confused since I thought she meant on the women's side, but she said no, for the men's basketball team. Since she'd been in North Carolina I jokingly asked if she'd been hanging with Wes Miller, and she said it was her cousin actually and they were from Arkansas originally and went to college there. So I asked who she was talking about, she said she couldn't remember his name but it was that Tennessee guy.

She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer so my guess is she's thinking of completely different school and/or sport.

Totally disagree. College hoops is a coach's medium. So is college football. There are plenty examples of programs who have amazing seasons and/or make wild Final 4 runs with horrific infrastructure but great coaches (who are also savvy dynamic recruiters despite shitty facilities). Hell, they've even made inspirational movies about some of these programs.

I think you have a bit of an issue of crafting the narrative to fit your thinking. This is a common problem successful people have. And then they simply don't have enough people in their lives calling them out for it. So, you're welcome.

Must spread pos rep. Amen.

I've got a hot level 7 (or whatever is one level lower than the worst source listed) tidbit. I work with a guy and his wife is a high school coach. She just won some big coach of the year award so she's been back and forth on these national tournament things running into recruiters and such because the guys and girls apparently have similar or even the same locations for events. So now she's been hanging with a few college assistant coaches, and when I mentioned I went to Wake she said oh I just met your next coach. And I was confused since I thought she meant on the women's side, but she said no, for the men's basketball team. Since she'd been in North Carolina I jokingly asked if she'd been hanging with Wes Miller, and she said it was her cousin actually and they were from Arkansas originally and went to college there. So I asked who she was talking about, she said she couldn't remember his name but it was that Tennessee guy.

She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer so my guess is she's thinking of completely different school and/or sport.

Wait, she doesn't remember the name of her cousin?? ;-) Talk about 6 degrees of somebody, but why would our yet to be announced coach be hanging around other assistants in NC gyms (presumably) pressing the flesh? Or maybe DST has ME too tired to read that right. :)

Last edited:

Awesome.

It isn't Barnes, although he IS from North Carolina.

It isn't Casey Alexander, who would be a good get.

So...

I would be thrilled with Steve Forbes. I hope your sauce is right, DCDeac!

That would work for me. He’s energetic and outgoing so that would be different.

Wait, she doesn't remember the name of her cousin?? ;-) Talk about 6 degrees of somebody, but why would our yet to be announced coach be hanging out in NC gyms pressing the flesh? Or maybe DST has be too tired to read that right. :)

Trust me it was hard to put together just listening to it. She knew her cousin's name but the coach in question was at Southern Arkansas University with her cousin apparently. Which is where Steve Forbes went.

Back