• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Forbes is by far my top mid major guy. I’d be 100% good with Forbes.
1. Beilein, Matta
2. Willard, Forbes, Shaka

Forbes would seem to make sense given that we're cash strapped with the buy-out limiting our resources for #1 and #2.

Trust me it was hard to put together just listening to it. She knew her cousin's name but the coach in question was at Southern Arkansas University with her cousin apparently. Which is where Steve Forbes went.

Ahhh okay, so he was just in the area maybe some in between game recruiting for ETSU perhaps? That is certainly some intriguing scoopage, but like you said, handful of salt with this one. You would hope he could stay tight-lipped because wouldn't that be tampering if we hired Forbes already? Didn't they just punch their ticket to the dance?

Forbes would seem to make sense given that we're cash strapped with the buy-out limiting our resources for #1 and #2.

My blood boils every time I am reminded that we actually named a street for the moron who got us into this mess. Unbelievable.

Ahhh okay, so he was just in the area maybe some in between game recruiting for ETSU perhaps? That is certainly some intriguing scoopage, but like you said, handful of salt with this one. You would hope he could stay tight-lipped because wouldn't that be tampering if we hired Forbes already? Didn't they just punch their ticket to the dance?

Oh yeah - a ton of it makes no sense to me. Hence I'm 99% sure it's garbage info. But what else is there to talk about... Really I was just humoring her that she'd know who Wake was hiring, but then a couple details kinda checked out. I mean, who has ties to Southern Arkansas?

Rick Barnes is competent, but he turns 66 in July, and would, at best, be a short-term solution. He rode Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield (who Barnes didn't recruit) to two good seasons in the SEC, but he has had 3 winning conference records over his last 9 years, and WF would be his biggest rebuild job since his days at Clemson, which was more than 20 years ago. This is exactly the type of hire that I am fearing that Currie will make.

I'm so confused as to why any single Coach is the answers to all of our problems. Coaches come and go. They also die. We have generally sucked for decades regardless of whom the Coach was with the exception of some normal outlier type luck mainly caused by Tim Duncan falling in our lap.

Don't get me wrong. I want to buy out Manning AND invest in facilities--namely a basketball home. But if faced with choosing one or the other, I would definitely choose the option of infrastructure that will last decades not a quick Coach for our team that is still going to suck through 2025 minimum.

This is why Wake sucks and Wellman has a street named after him. People with dollars caring more about buildings than coaches.

So, if Wake had hired Kaye instead of Duke, he would have failed because the building was too big? BZ could have succeeded with a small on campus arena?

Oh yeah - a ton of it makes no sense to me. Hence I'm 99% sure it's garbage info. But what else is there to talk about... Really I was just humoring her that she'd know who Wake was hiring, but then a couple details kinda checked out. I mean, who has ties to Southern Arkansas?

No doubt, only reason I'm here! I have zero interest in Mannequin-ball and only care insofar as what Currie will do in the next several days to a week.

Perhaps Steve slipped and let folks know he's had a prelim discussion or informal "canvassing" interview with JC? I mean we all know tampering happens. So it's not out of the realm. And I'm sure Steve would *want* to be our next coach.

Conjecture IS fun, certainly more than watching DM-coached _efensive-focused basketball. #wehangourhatonD bwahahahahaha #Idon'tevenunderstandazone

Trust me it was hard to put together just listening to it. She knew her cousin's name but the coach in question was at Southern Arkansas University with her cousin apparently. Which is where Steve Forbes went.

If he hire Forbes we need to get this girl a green user name on these here boards. She will be the only credible sauce moving forward.

Even without cash limitations, Forbes is still a stop target IMO. He’s a winner and has P6 recruiting experience.

Any credit given to Pat Kelsey for winning the Big South tourney is misplaced.

After #1 seed Radford was upset, Winthrop's path to the tournament title was beating:

#325 USC Upstate
#218 Gardner Webb
#308 Hampton (at home)

Doubt their will be a team with an easier road to the NCAA tournament. Essentially, Winthrop avoided a major upset, which is good, but when judging a coaching performance, got to keep level of competition in mind.
They won their games. They once again had a very good regular season. Look at his overall record at Winthrop. Geez.

DCDeac what a TERRIFIC "source"! Why not use Alex Jones? Your "source" also MULTIPLE time that Skip was "signed, sealed and delivered" to Cinci to replace Huggins. The fact that Skip said he'd NEVER take his friend's job was irrelevant to you or your "source".

You duckbags don't understands how this works. You publish "sources" and you lose them.

If you paid attention over year, RJ won't use the word "source" more than few times. WORDS MATTER.

No, DCDeac is NOT right. First of all, if Forbes had been offered, there would have been news. Secondly. reading is fundamental. RJ didn't say he had "source". If he did say that, he would not post who "source" is as that's how you lose real "sources".

Wake had way more success, which I will define as winning record, NCAA tournament appearances and upper third finishes in ACC regular season, than the four years of Tim Duncan. Tacy's teams made the elite 8. Odom's teams made NCAA tournament before TD arrived. Skip's teams made the NCAA Tournament and had winning records. Most here recognize a good coach could have Wake thete again.

Wasn't Dino even ranked 1? Or was that Skip?

Coaches have agents, and Wake has folks with both Wake and CBB connections such as Sutton. Those parties can have conversations w/o Currie/Wake having any direct contact with a coach. So while I doubt any active coach has had a direct contact with Currie, there's been some "he'd/we'd very much like to sit down after the season to talk about the state of college basketball in general" talk.
I could def be wrong, but the fact that Currie has not even mentioned Manning by name in months is enough to tell me that he's a dead man walking, and Currie has moved on and is working the back channels. Unlike a Duke, KY or UNC where every comment, handshake, and event attended by the AD over the last 6 months would be breathlessly followed by the media and cause for great speculation (see the Tom Brady hysteria), Currie can operate in relative anonymity while still enjoying some of those same high-profile connections that "the Blues" do; that's in fact an "advantage" we have over those higher-profile programs. Again just my opinion, but I think the coaching search has been Currie's main focus for a while.

If the story is true or at least has some plausible info in it, maybe it was a Coaching Seminar? Forbes has done some of those things in the past, where college coaches meet with lower-level college coaches and high school coaches, so it's possible that maybe DC's story relates to one of those? I have no clue when they actually hold those types of things but I'd assume that most are probably during the offseason/summer.

Last edited:
If the story is true or at least has some plausible info in it, maybe it was a Coaching Seminar? Forbes has done some of those things in the past, where college coaches meet with lower-level college coaches and high school coaches, so it's possible that maybe DC's story relates to one of those? I have no clue when they actually hold those types of things but I'd assume that most are probably during the offseason/summer.

Interesting...it would make sense that those things take place and knowledge is shared. Didn't even dawn on me because I just don't follow the coaching biz that closely until it's time for WFU to botch another hire, um, I mean search for a new HC. ;-)

Back