• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Nice try. He may have screwed up the coach but he nailed the atmosphere - rocking!

I was there too sir (obviously). Great crowd that night. Weak ticket. Crowd would have been even better in a proper sized arena with students in proper position.

Look, we've tried it your way since the late 50s. 60 years of failure is enough. Time to try it the Duke/Nova/Gonzaga way.

I was there too sir (obviously). Great crowd that night. Weak ticket. Crowd would have been even better in a proper sized arena with students in proper position.

Look, we've tried it your way since the late 50s. 60 years of failure is enough. Time to try it the Duke/Nova/Gonzaga way.
DR, how do you feel about the size of the WF arena? What would be an ideal seating capacity? Would we just raize the Joel and start over? How would we pay for it?

DR, how do you feel about the size of the WF arena? What would be an ideal seating capacity? Would we just raize the Joel and start over? How would we pay for it?

Oh shit, not again...

I really like this hybrid word.

A couple of more wins and DM will be here next year. I have seen nothing different this year from a coaching stand point, just a bit luckier-- I would say 6 more wins and DM is here next year

A couple of more wins and DM will be here next year. I have seen nothing different this year from a coaching stand point, just a bit luckier-- I would say 6 more wins and DM is here next year

Well no doubt! 6 more wins would mean Danny avoided another 20 loss season. Reasons for optimism. We have a young team that likes playing with each other and are taking "steps." Blah blah blah. Rinse and repeat forever I guess.

Wes Miller with a one point road win over Vermont tonight. Neither team scored 55 points on the game.

Both teams still ahead of Wake in KP.

As are Furman & ETSU. Right now, even after what is probably a better than expected start, Wake Forest would still be only the 4th best team in the Southern Conference by KP rankings.

Last edited:
My current list... In no particular order (and not comprehensive):

Anthony Grant
Mike Rhoades
Steve Forbes
Wes Miller
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta

Random thought on this that concerns me:
Two years ago, I justified keeping Manning around, in part, because I didn't love any candidates and didn't have confidence that we'd make a great hire.
Last year, there were a number of candidates out there and not a ton of jobs... A perfect opportunity to land a Nate Oats or someone of that ilk.
I really worry that there will be a TON of openings after this season, and we'll have to settle for someone.

We really should have made a change after last season.

Anthony Grant
Mike Rhoades
Steve Forbes
Wes Miller
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta

Two years ago, I justified keeping Manning around, in part, because I didn't love any candidates and didn't have confidence that we'd make a great hire.
Last year, there were a number of candidates out there and not a ton of jobs... A perfect opportunity to land a Nate Oats or someone of that ilk.
I really worry that there will be a TON of openings after this season, and we'll have to settle for someone.

I'm still in for adding John Becker to that list. A one point loss to UNCG doesn't change things.

Anthony Grant
Mike Rhoades
Steve Forbes
Wes Miller
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta

This is so spot on. I have a feeling 5 years from now we'll be wondering what if we had gotten Oats. He'll be one of the greats. But of course Wellman had to make one last pathetic attempt to salvage his legacy instead of doing what was best for the self sabotaged program in the perfect alignment of few good jobs available with a good amount if quality candidates

We may have the single worst home court in all of basketball. Our facilities are not middle of the pack in the ACC. The Joel alone put us at the bottom. It remains a disaster for our sized fan base/school.

After spending several years working at Virginia Tech, I’ll take your Joel and raise you a Cassel Coliseum. That place is a shithole. They can’t fill that student section and it’s next to their dorms. And there isn’t anything else going on in Blacksburg on game nights. Believe me.

Back