• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Wes Miller can win at WF.

I would prefer a coach without ties to Wake. Need somebody who is all about getting the job done who doesn't have connections to keep his job if he isn't doing it well.

Let's see, he's about 70. That's a positive. He called his players "thugs". I'm sure other programs won't use that against us in recruiting.

This is a good place to start rebuilding a program.

He was trying to say they were sluggish. If you read into it at all you knew he made an honest mistake.

People are so quick to judge. He’s a excellent man, and a great basketball coach. He would be a great representative of Wake Forest. They only people who actually are bringing it up are the people that want him gone from Cleveland. The transition from college to NBA isn’t for everyone.

I'll state more clearly. It will be hard for me to get back to being as invested as I once was. One thing that would get me engaged again is making a great coaching hire. I think Beilein would be a great hire. I would probably get season tickets. Good new coach = season tix. Season tix =/= my previous excitement about bball.

I'd like to care about bball again and would go to games and pull for our team (of course). It would take alot of improvement and time for me to be "passionate" in the way I used to be.

ETA: this was a response to someone who quoted me on the page before. For some reason the post didn’t show in my reply.

Last edited:
I would prefer a coach without ties to Wake. Need somebody who is all about getting the job done who doesn't have connections to keep his job if he isn't doing it well.

The LAST thing we need right now is a coach who would be difficult to impossible to fire if he doesn't produce. We can't wait around another 5 years and try again.

The LAST thing we need right now is a coach who would be difficult to impossible to fire if he doesn't produce. We can't wait around another 5 years and try again.

Why does that matter? Wake only fires coaches years after it is obvious that they suck.

I’m all for wetted balls which is what I’ll have if we hire Shaka!

Hmm. Not sure why we would think that failing at Texas would mean success at Wake. The current state of Wake basketball is worse than anything Shaka inherited at Texas and Wake plays in a much tougher neighborhood.

He was trying to say they were sluggish. If you read into it at all you knew he made an honest mistake.

People are so quick to judge. He’s a excellent man, and a great basketball coach. He would be a great representative of Wake Forest. They only people who actually are bringing it up are the people that want him gone from Cleveland. The transition from college to NBA isn’t for everyone.

I'm saying it doesn't matter what he was trying to say. Recruiting isn't a non-contact, all truth endeavor.

Wes Miller can win at WF.

I don't know enough about Miller as a coach to get excited about the prospect of having him here.

My wishlist would simply be a coach who is an elite recruiter and talent evaluator so we can find the diamonds in the rough who will also stay 3-4 years. Then that coach can surround him with excellent assistants who will also hit the recruiting trail hard but are excellent game coaches. I had high hopes for Danny being a great recruiter but he's been the worst we've had in my lifetime.

Dino had Wake connections and out after 3 successful seasons. Manning no connections and kept around despite this disaster. Point is, someone with Wake connections shouldn't be precluded.

I'm saying it doesn't matter what he was trying to say. Recruiting isn't a non-contact, all truth endeavor.

As I said already, this will blow over. He’s clearly not a racist person. Players have loved his as their coach. He slipped up. Recruits will see the man and know he’s a winner, with coaching experience in the NBA. He’s a recognizable face, which would be nice, as long as that recognizable face is an exceptional basketball coach (and he is).

I am starting to think we should just have Jenn Hover and Danny Manning switch jobs.

I want the best coach regardless of connections. As was noted, lack of connection has not led to a quick trigger.
Dino didn’t have any connection to Wake beyond what a current head coach would have. His connection was being a coach.
If we get the right guy’s , connection is a good thing. We just can’t limit our options to connections.

There were people who were very vocal about our needing a break from the Prosser tree. I’d be thrilled to trade with Louisville. Just get the best coach. Commit to, and expect, their success. If they prove they can’t succeed with our program, move on.

I think Miller will replace roy at UNC.

UNCG suffered multiple injuries at the start of January, which led to a couple of losses, but they are healthy now and just beat Furman at Furman (Furman's first home loss of the year; only their 3rd home loss since February 2018). There are a handful of good SoCon teams this year (Mark Prosser has completely turned Western Carolina - just like his dad's teams, they can score, but have issues on the defensive end), but looks to me like UNCG is the best of all of them when they are healthy. They are going to win 25 games, and make the post-season. Miller will be a hot commodity in March/April.

Dino had Wake connections and out after 3 successful seasons. Manning no connections and kept around despite this disaster. Point is, someone with Wake connections shouldn't be precluded.

Lol. No. Dino had the same Wake connections that Manning has...he was a Wake employee. That's not the same as having a dad who is one of the top athletic donors and your family name on buildings around campus. Can't really fire a guy and then ask pops to foot the buyout.

UNCG suffered multiple injuries at the start of January, which led to a couple of losses, but they are healthy now and just beat Furman at Furman (Furman's first home loss of the year; only their 3rd home loss since February 2018). There are a handful of good SoCon teams this year (Mark Prosser has completely turned Western Carolina - just like his dad's teams, they can score, but have issues on the defensive end), but looks to me like UNCG is the best of all of them when they are healthy. They are going to win 25 games, and make the post-season. Miller will be a hot commodity in March/April.

Steve Forbes ETSU team has the best record and is in first place. They just beat UNCG.

Steve Forbes ETSU team has the best record and is in first place. They just beat UNCG.

When UNCG was banged up. ETSU is good (as is Furman, W. Carolina and then Wofford), and Forbes is a solid coach. I think UNCG will turn out to be the best team, but ETSU winning the SoCon would not be a surprise. Unlike last year, when Wofford had an at-large locked up heading into the conference tourney, SoCon is only getting one bid this year, and there are a handful of teams who could win it. Will be interesting.

When UNCG was banged up. ETSU is good (as is Furman, W. Carolina and then Wofford), and Forbes is a solid coach. I think UNCG will turn out to be the best team, but ETSU winning the SoCon would not be a surprise. Unlike last year, when Wofford had an at-large locked up heading into the conference tourney, SoCon is only getting one bid this year, and there are a handful of teams who could win it. Will be interesting.
Wouldn't these two statements seem to be contradictory? If Miller wins 25 games and is going to be a hot commodity this hiring season, wouldn't the expectation be that he should have his team in a position to get into the tourney without having to win their conference tourney?

Carolina got their last coach from Kansas. They are not going to get their next coach from UNC Greensboro.

Wouldn't these two statements seem to be contradictory? If Miller wins 25 games and is going to be a hot commodity this hiring season, wouldn't the expectation be that he should have his team in a position to get into the tourney without having to win their conference tourney?

No. UNCG was a last 4 out team last year (#1 seed in the NIT); so they came close to getting an at-large bid. ETSU could be close to the same level this year, but even though SoCon is among the top half of the college basketball conferences; it's typically a one bid league. That's a function of the way NCAA system is set up rather than coaching acumen.

Back