• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

The memories a lot of us could have made with our kids but didn’t is how I measure the significance and sadness of The Lost Decade.

This. All my old shirts my son has and wears to bed. I am ashamed to let him wear anything in public. Ha

You are both wrong

Just in terms how you will react IF Wake ever returns to being good in MBB again.

I don't give a fuck either but you both know, just as I do, that the fire is still kindling inside of us and just waiting for a true catalyst.

Note to AD Currie: That catalyst isn't same old boring, terrible, and in over his head Danny Manning. Get rid.

Agree with this. Otherwise, we wouldn't be posting on a Wake message board or on basketball threads.

I went to watch us play at the Joel before the holiday break. I haven't been in years but had free tickets from someone I often go to football games with so didn't want to say no. Plus I took my son who couldn't remember the last time he'd watched a CBB game much less WF. It was like being in an alternate universe. I felt almost no connection to anything there. Weird. I showed my son where we sat for games when I was a student and it was surreal how far away that seems.

It will be very hard for me to care again, too. A coach with a great personality and a competitive team will help, but it will be hard to really care like I used to. I think it is time to start talking about the "lost generation" rather than the "lost decade."

Also, the only thing crazier than not wanting Beilein is hoping he'd come to wake. I would buy season tickets the day we announced hiring him.

I'm not sure how head coach contracts are written but do they actually mention being "head" coach?
WHAT IF Wake hires a new coach and puts Manning as an assistant? I'm guessing he has some decent coaching ability, but just not as a head coach. Seems like he could be good for recruiting and have some meaningful coaching position. I mean if you gotta pay him you might as well get some use from him.
I'm sure his contract is not generic enough to say something like "Wake Forest Employee" or similar but probably more along the lines of Head Men's Basketball Coach.
I'm just spit ballin' here.

Let's see, he's about 70. That's a positive. He called his players "thugs". I'm sure other programs won't use that against us in recruiting.

This is a good place to start rebuilding a program.

Just chill, guys. There is no way John Beilein would be interested in coaching at Wake Forest in 2020-21. For what it's worth, he turns 67 next month. If/when he gets bounced by the Cavs, the last thing he's going to do is look for a huge rebuilding project. Look for him to emerge somewhere where the chances of playing in the NCAA tournament are better than not. Also look for him to land somewhere that would allow him to bring Patrick Beilein along with him.

We had our chance at Beilein following the 2001 season. Looking forward, we're all going to have to be very patient. We have little interest from any major prospects in the h.s. class of 2021, and our 2020 recruiting class is ranked #13 in the ACC. The [Redacted] and Manning experiments have been absolutely devastating.

I know people like Old Gold Bread pooh pooh it, but I would balls to the walls for SHAKA. CLEARLY he's not looking to stay at big state university (yes there were lot of students at VCU, but it's not same as TX or similar school. It's commuter school). The ACC will be #1 conference for decades.

TX is in BAD conference. It's different now than it was before.

SHAKA isn't like Stevens. His style would NOT work in NBA.

SHAKA and Few are friends. SHAKA could stay Wake for the rest of his career and be legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on list (Beilein, Matta, Marshall) will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $50.0M/ten years and go up to $55-60M. We can DEFINITELY afford it

I'm not sure how head coach contracts are written but do they actually mention being "head" coach?
WHAT IF Wake hires a new coach and puts Manning as an assistant? I'm guessing he has some decent coaching ability, but just not as a head coach. Seems like he could be good for recruiting and have some meaningful coaching position. I mean if you gotta pay him you might as well get some use from him.
I'm sure his contract is not generic enough to say something like "Wake Forest Employee" or similar but probably more along the lines of Head Men's Basketball Coach.
I'm just spit ballin' here.
The "typical" contract provisions that were discussed in my sports law class (Spurrier's contract & quite a few other public ones) all had "reassignment" provisions where schools could technically "move" the coach to another position ("even making them a janitor" one of the sports agents said), but the provisions aren't actually used since competent athletic departments don't give fully guaranteed contracts so a buyout is cheaper for the school than paying said employee to do something else at the school.

If Coach is holding Wake by the balls over the buyout $.... maybe Currie should play hardball and start taking shit away from him. Kind of like Major League. Make his ass ride a bus. Lock him out of the new practice facility and tell him if he is going to stay, he can practice outside. Make him drive on recruiting trips.

If Coach is holding Wake by the balls over the buyout $.... maybe Currie should play hardball and start taking shit away from him. Kind of like Major League. Make his ass ride a bus. Lock him out of the new practice facility and tell him if he is going to stay, he can practice outside. Make him drive on recruiting trips.

Worlds most expensive bus driver.

The "typical" contract provisions that were discussed in my sports law class (Spurrier's contract & quite a few other public ones) all had "reassignment" provisions where schools could technically "move" the coach to another position ("even making them a janitor" one of the sports agents said), but the provisions aren't actually used since competent athletic departments don't give fully guaranteed contracts so a buyout is cheaper for the school than paying said employee to do something else at the school.

Please make Manning a janitor

Those clauses are probably missing from Manning's contract.

Manning appears to be too slow mentally to coach above the junior high school level. I’m serious. We shot again with 10 seconds left in the half instead of taking the last shot. We got beaten yet again on a home run pass to beat the press. These ridiculously simple mistakes have continued for 6 seasons. It’s mind numbing to watch it.

On a positive note, that would seem to be a nail in the coffin of Manning - home blowout to shortest team in the NCAA led by a horde of freshmen, and they show more composure than our team, which was led in minutes by three seniors, one junior, and a sophomore. Two of our three seniors have been in college for 5+ years. And beaten by a coach in his first year replacing a beloved coach ...

To me this was the equivalent of Taggert at Florida State saying there was no way to prepare for a game in the rain only to watch Clawson tell the halftime reporter that Wake prepared for the possibility of a game in the rain by practicing with wet balls.

Can we forever just refer to this type of coaching beat down as "Wetting the Balls?" Like Jumping the Shark. Same syllabic breakdown ...

On a positive note, that would seem to be a nail in the coffin of Manning - home blowout to shortest team in the NCAA led by a horde of freshmen, and they show more composure than our team, which was led in minutes by three seniors, one junior, and a sophomore. Two of our three seniors have been in college for 5+ years. And beaten by a coach in his first year replacing a beloved coach ...

To me this was the equivalent of Taggert at Florida State saying there was no way to prepare for a game in the rain only to watch Clawson tell the halftime reporter that Wake prepared for the possibility of a game in the rain by practicing with wet balls.

Can we forever just refer to this type of coaching beat down as "Wetting the Balls?" Like Jumping the Shark. Same syllabic breakdown ...

Such a Gaybone remark...

Back