• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

It wasn't "Fit" that got us that disaster, it was one guy doing something off the wall because he knew a guy and thought he was smarter than everyone else.

"I am very pleased that Jeff [Redacted] has accepted our offer to become our head coach," said Wellman. "He is a perfect fit for Wake Forest. Jeff holds the same values and the same standards that are so dear to this university. He has a great deal of experience in both collegiate and professional basketball. He will produce a program and develop players that we will be thrilled to have as Demon Deacons."

Also, his daughter was a student here at the time. So, yes, Ron made the hire on some nebulous and ill-defined conception of fit as much or more than he did based on a resume that included a 111-105 record, five losing seasons (out of seven as a college head coach), 1 NCAAT berth, and 0 NCAAT wins.

"I am very pleased that Jeff [Redacted] has accepted our offer to become our head coach," said Wellman. "He is a perfect fit for Wake Forest. Jeff holds the same values and the same standards that are so dear to this university. He has a great deal of experience in both collegiate and professional basketball. He will produce a program and develop players that we will be thrilled to have as Demon Deacons."

Also, his daughter was a student here at the time. So, yes, Ron made the hire on some nebulous and ill-defined conception of fit as much or more than he did based on a resume that included a 111-105 record, five losing seasons (out of seven as a college head coach), 1 NCAAT berth, and 0 NCAAT wins.

Fucking Ron Wellman. What a fuck stick!

I mean, if we hire Wes Miller, then there's just no point in ever giving a shit about Wake basketball again.

Can we just, like, not fuck this shit up after a miserable decade?

I mean, if we hire Wes Miller, then there's just no point in ever giving a shit about Wake basketball again.

Can we just, like, not fuck this shit up after a miserable decade?

Must be awesome to know the future with absolute certainty.

Must be awesome to know the future with absolute certainty.

I mean, I just don't want to hire anybody, ever again, who has a profile like [Redacted] or Manning. And I don't want a fucking legacy hire.

Our last two hires were based on a fluke run in March and a 40 year old friendship, respectively.

I want a guy who has done a good job at recruiting and game preparation with some passion and a lot more Ws than Ls over a decent period of time playing above average competition. Is that too much to ask for?

Why do you believe this?

I don't want the coach of UNCG. It's UNC fucking G. Like, if Miller's dad wasn't a rich Wake donor would any of y'all even think about this guy for a second? What has he done that suggests that he'll be successful at Wake? [Redacted] (Air Force) and Manning (Tulsa) won games in better jobs than Miller has ever had and were complete busts. I don't want the coach of Tulsa, let alone UNCG.

Let me ask this: why do you believe Wes Miller can win at Wake?

In the last 3.5 seasons Miller is 90-35. If you watch his teams they play great D, play hard, and are unselfish. Anyone who knows basketball can tell they are a well coached team. He is charismatic and really passionate. I think that will make him an excellent recruiter. He took his lumps early at UNCG but has grown and developed a sustained level of excellence at a school that is not one of the better jobs in his league. None of that makes him a sure bet but there is plenty to suggest he might do very well. He would need to hire a couple of veteran P6 assistants to help with the transition but with a good staff I could easily see him succeeding.

The previous coaching destination for current top 25 teams:

Baylor Scott Drew - Valpo
Gonzaga Mark Few - Assistant
Dayton Anthony Grant - Fired from Bama
San Diego State Brian Dutcher - Assistant
Seton Hall Kevin Willard - Iona
Iowa Fran McCaffrey - Siena (before that UNCG)
Butler LaValle Jordan - UW-Milwaukee
Villanova Jay Wright - Hofstra
Texas Tech Chris Beard - Ark Little Rock
Rutgers Steve Pickell - Stony Brook

In the ACC, State hired Keatts from UNCW, VT hired Young from Wofford, Clemson hired Brownell from Wright State. Hiring successful coaches from smaller schools is often the route to take.

Look, if WF can bring in Jon Beilein or Thad Matta, great, but not sure those are realistic options. FWIW, I could care less if the hire is popular. Only care that hire results in long-term success. If everyone is pissed about WF's next hire at the time that it is made, but WF is consistently an NCAA tourney program moving forward, that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Let me ask this: why do you believe Wes Miller can win at Wake?

Miller's overall record and conference winning % at UNCG outperforms Fran McCaffery's numbers at UNCG.

And most would be happy with White Magic's results at Siena and Iowa after the shitshow of the past decade.

In the ACC, State hired Keatts from UNCW, VT hired Young from Wofford, Clemson hired Brownell from Wright State. Hiring successful coaches from smaller schools is often the route to take.

Look, if WF can bring in Jon Beilein or Thad Matta, great, but not sure those are realistic options. FWIW, I could care less if the hire is popular. Only care that hire results in long-term success. If everyone is pissed about WF's next hire at the time that it is made, but WF is consistently an NCAA tourney program moving forward, that is all that matters.

Jay Wright was a Masamino assistant I believe.

I think WFU needs to look seriously at Steve Forbes from ETSU.
He just wins.

Pilchard makes excellent points. In addition to the 3 ACC coaches he mentioned as coming from mid-majors K came from Army, Larranaga from George Mason, and Bret from Delaware. All have built excellent programs.

I'm not deterred by Wes' lack of top 25 wins. I don't know if UNCG has ever beaten a top 25. That is a program with very little to sell and no tradition to speak of, yet he has them winning 25 games a year consistently. He is young and very passionate. I think he will do well at a high major program. I agree with Racer's concern, however, that if he came here and did not succeed it would be beyond awkward. If he did succeed, however, we could have him for 25 years.

Give Wes an ACC roster and the resources of an ACC school. He'll accomplish that top 25 victory in his 1st year at Wake.

There are 2 simple reasons why I don't think Miller will be a good coach:
1.A good ACC coach should dominate the Southern Conference. Dominate it. And Miller has just been good there, not great. He has been there 8 seasons. Throw out the first 3 and call it rebuilding (questionable, but let's cut the young man a break). He is still only 64-32 in conference over the 5+ years after he established the program, with 2 1st place finishes. Compare that to OGB's description of Gregg Marshall at Winthrop. Miller may be a good coach by Southern Conference standards, but nothing that indicates he will be a good coach by ACC standards; and
2) He has been there for 8+ years. If he was such a hot candidate, why has he not taken a better job? You are telling me that not one single athletic director in the A-10, the AAC, or even the MVC recognized Miller's prowess and offered him a raise to leave? UNCW picked an assistant coach (who sucked) over Miller.

Tip your hat to DR for convincing people of alternative facts by sheer force of will.

Do you trust our AD to hire the next Chris Beard, Fran McCaffrey, Kevin Willard, etc? Because I don't.

FWIW, I could care less if the hire is popular. Only care that hire results in long-term success. If everyone is pissed about WF's next hire at the time that it is made, but WF is consistently an NCAA tourney program moving forward, that is all that matters

This part of your post is dumb as hell. The fan base will get behind a coach that wins after the last decade. That doesn't mean questioning Wes Miller doesn't make a lot of sense at this stage. Folks on here like him because of his dad and the fact that he's local. There are plenty of Wes Millers out there with more impressive resumes.

In the 20 years before Wes UNCG was 260-337 (.436). That’s with 4 coaches including McCaffrey who was 90-87. It is a bad job. Wes is 90-35 the last 3.5 years there.

I don’t care who coaches at Clemson they will never dominate the ACC. UNCG is the Clemson of the SoCon. Winthrop is the UNC of the Big South. Apples and oranges to compare Marshall and Wes. Apples to apples to compare Marshall to Pat though.

Back