• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Similar to HOF Wes' connection to Wake, Mike Young grew up near B-burg and watched a lot of games at Cassell. He didn't have a family member who was a big VT donor, however. I think most VT fans are extremely happy with the unanswered prayer.

I'm guessing Mike Young wasn't on any fan list to succeed Buzz. His selection was widely panned as 'Who is he ?' !

VPI needs a lot of wins to make the tourney given their OOC schedule (third easiest in the country). They basically have state’s issue from last year and the committee has scrutinized OOC games recently. I think they may need 21 wins to get in

Well, they got one more last night. Double Overtime to get a two point win over u*NC. Though, not sure how much that is going to count in March.

Once again you all miss point. The "TOILET" idea was jumping off point. It would have gotten and likely coverage. It would have been less THREATENING and more EFFECTIVE than doing NOTHING at that point.

You also forget RJ's concept of starting with 10-20 "TOILET" T-Shirts at games and growing to HUNDREDS by end of season.

If the "petition" was done bigly, we'd have had 2500-7500 signatures from all over country.

But you guys are sooooooooooo right, an organizing, growing movement makes less sense than ads and billboards after decision had already been made.

Yep. it's really much better to take birth control pills AFTER woman is pregnant than BEFORE she had sex. Sad.

Anthony Grant is my number 1 now:

Can you imagine that video breaking down Manning's offense for ~16 minutes?

It'd be painfully awesome.

"And then Torry Johnson dribbles the ball off of his foot, it rolls over to Brandon Childress who shoots a 3 pointer while Olivier Sarr stands alone in the paint, openly sobbing."

Anthony Grant is my number 1 now

Hard to argue with the improvement at Dayton. 172, 62, 4. Don't really know enough about his time at Bama to understand why he never got them over the hump. Of course, he could just be a guy who actually learns and gets better as he ages. Hard to remember what that looks like after years of Manning.

VCU Teams were 52, 68, 54

Bama Teams were 63, 51, 27, 64, 86, 55

In the latest version of the college hoop coaches hotseat report, Manning isn't on either of the two "hottest" levels. The 4 coaches with the hottest seat are:

- Jim Christian BC
- Mike Dunlap LMU
- Jeff Nuebauer Fordham GT
- Josh Pastner GT

Here is what that report says about Manning and WF:

Manning is a college basketball legend and his head coaching career got off to a very hot start at Tulsa, winning C-USA regular season and Tournament titles in 2014. He left after that season for Wake Forest and five years later, his seat is the only that that’s hot. The 2016-17 season, in which his Deacs won 19 games and made the NCAA Tournament, is now an obvious outlier. Manning’s teams have gone 11-20 in three of the last four seasons and have never finished higher than 10th in the ACC. The only reason Manning isn’t higher on this report comes from the contract extension that the school gave him in 2017, locking him down through the 2024-25 season with a reportedly hefty buyout (terms not disclosed). Fans and boosters are undoubtedly restless as their Tobacco Road rivals continue to flourish, but they may have no choice but to ride this out and hope their coach is able to turn things around.

It would actually work better now with the explosion of social media. It would be trending worldwide.

The more outrageous something is. The more it gets covered.

Hell, it would probably end up as a meme for all crappy teams.

and at $100 per toilet, would only run like $10-30k!

In the latest version of the college hoop coaches hotseat report, Manning isn't on either of the two "hottest" levels. The 4 coaches with the hottest seat are:

- Jim Christian BC
- Mike Dunlap LMU
- Jeff Nuebauer Fordham GT
- Josh Pastner GT

Here is what that report says about Manning and WF:

Manning is a college basketball legend and his head coaching career got off to a very hot start at Tulsa, winning C-USA regular season and Tournament titles in 2014. He left after that season for Wake Forest and five years later, his seat is the only that that’s hot. The 2016-17 season, in which his Deacs won 19 games and made the NCAA Tournament, is now an obvious outlier. Manning’s teams have gone 11-20 in three of the last four seasons and have never finished higher than 10th in the ACC. The only reason Manning isn’t higher on this report comes from the contract extension that the school gave him in 2017, locking him down through the 2024-25 season with a reportedly hefty buyout (terms not disclosed). Fans and boosters are undoubtedly restless as their Tobacco Road rivals continue to flourish, but they may have no choice but to ride this out and hope their coach is able to turn things around.

That's the same writeup they had in November. I doubt they have any connection and write purely on speculation.

Can you imagine that video breaking down Manning's offense for ~16 minutes?

It'd be painfully awesome.

"And then Torry Johnson dribbles the ball off of his foot, it rolls over to Brandon Childress who shoots a 3 pointer while Olivier Sarr stands alone in the paint, openly sobbing."

LOL, we should get an OGBoards guy to make one like that and send it to Currie.

Hard to argue with the improvement at Dayton. 172, 62, 4. Don't really know enough about his time at Bama to understand why he never got them over the hump. Of course, he could just be a guy who actually learns and gets better as he ages. Hard to remember what that looks like after years of Manning.

VCU Teams were 52, 68, 54

Bama Teams were 63, 51, 27, 64, 86, 55

There's an argument those Bama numbers are a ceiling. Nate Oats may end up wishing he'd waited a year or two to leave Buffalo.

There's an argument those Bama numbers are a ceiling. Nate Oats may end up wishing he'd waited a year or two to leave Buffalo.

Based on what? What's the limiting factor of Bama? Just the domination of football or something else?

Based on what? What's the limiting factor of Bama? Just the domination of football or something else?

Yeah, seems silly to say the ceiling at Dayton is higher than at Alabama.

I know those Flyers love them some hoops, but not sure it's a better gig.

Anthony Grant is my number 1 now:

He's not leaving his alma mater to come to Wake. Wake isn't a better job for him. He gets paid very well there and has about as good job security as one can have in college bball. He is beloved there.

From the Dayton Daily News - Dayton Athletic Director Neil Sullivan said he and Grant look at the program the same way.“We both look at it as a destination job,” Sullivan said. Dayton’s last three coaches have used the program as a stepping stone, leaving for jobs at Clemson, Georgia Tech and Indiana. Grant, 50, played for Dayton so he has more connection to the program than Oliver Purnell, Brian Gregory and Miller.

Yeah, seems silly to say the ceiling at Dayton is higher than at Alabama.

I know those Flyers love them some hoops, but not sure it's a better gig.

Whoa. I never compared UA to Dayton. My point was that the Tide doesn't have the b-ball history of other schools, including Wake, and that Oats may have jumped the gun. Even as bad as our last 10 years have been, our median Kenpom ranking since 1997 is still 2 places ahead of them.

Alabama is having their best year in a while so far. Seems like Oats will be okay at the least for a few. Maybe he could have gone to a higher ceiling school basketball wise but at the same time Alabama could probably be better than they historically have been.

Alabama is having their best year in a while so far. Seems like Oats will be okay at the least for a few. Maybe he could have gone to a higher ceiling school basketball wise but at the same time Alabama could probably be better than they historically have been.

I would argue that Bama's biggest limitation has always been coaching, which is why I'm trying to understand Grant's instant success at Dayton after struggling at Bama.

What? They are 11-7 and have lost to Penn and RI.

Last year, they were 12-6 at this point. The year before that they were 12-6. The previous year they were 11-7.

Not saying Oats is doing a bad job, but your assertion is off base.

Back