• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Makes me laugh that Sokolove still fools some
people.

Also a good reminder that rjkarl has proven himself to be a poster not worth listening to about coaching searches.

I have reservations about Beilein, but I have reservations about every candidate... At some level, it’s always a risk. I’d be very surprised if Beilein is interested in the Wake job, but I’m pretty sure Currie has already put feelers out somehow. He’s be crazy not to at least get a better sense of the situation.

Prove me wrong about any of it...

I was the first person to say the "buyout" was nothing like you and others swore it was.

As to coaches, I'll take what I have seen with my own eyes about the pre-(redacted) and Danny hires over what you have guessed at and swore to EVERY time. It's not my fault you don't people know who count or are trusted.

Last edited:
We only need a few years to turn it around. Then we're in a great spot to hire the next guy. If Beilein is interested, it would be ABSURD to say no simply because he won't be here for 10 years.

A couple of things:

- Yes, "he won't be here in 10 years"; my concern is that he won't be here in three years. It apparently has taken Beilein half a season to give up on the NBA, and there had been murmurs that Beilein was having issues relating to players from the start. WF is in a similar rebuild mode, and we don't get lottery picks. Is Beilein going to be able to put in the time to find the under-rated talent which is a must to win at WF, and then does he still have the ability to out-recruit VT, State, Clemson, GT among others for the talent we target? Recruiting to Michigan and WF are not the same.

- WF is "in a great spot" if Beilein has the energy and capacity to build up WF from the cellar of the ACC. Seems like a young man's job to me.

FWIW, agree that it would be ABSURD not to consider Beilein, but just saying that WF's decision-makers have to see the signs that Beilein has not slipped. There are people pushing 70 that shouldn't be driving a car; so, I'm just saying it makes sense to perform a little due diligence before going on all-in on JB.

I was the first person to say the "buyout" was nothing like you and others swore it was.

Lol. And so far you've offered zero evidence. Everything we know points to you being wrong. I think you're having an Elizabeth Warren 23&me moment here.

As to coaches, I'll take what I have seen with my own eyes about the pre-(redacted) and Danny hires over what you have guessed at and swore to EVERY time. It's not my fault you don't people who count or are trusted.

You haven't seen anything. You're a nobody living on the West coast. You don't have any sources. You make up stuff that can't be confirmed true or false and then claim victory.

You have to be a little concerned to see Shaka’s Longhorns dropping so quickly they have a chance to pass Danny Fucking Last’s Deacs.

Would somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be Racer's friend????

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in saying that he's just lonely guy.

That's much nicer outcomes than thinking he is inordinately creeeeeepy stalker who must live his life vicariously via following RJ around this board.

It's a New Year. So would who lives in Charlotte start the year by doing a good deed and "befriending" Racer.

I'm pretty sure he'd respond to your PM.

But as MULITIPLES others have accurately said, racer simply sees RJs name, has a Pavlovian repsonse, quivers and spews "RJ doesn't have any SOURCES".

One of the funnies Racer bits wazs on a thread when he asked RJ "bona fides" to comment on recruiting. Even when given FACTS he couldn't defer.

I feel tremendously sad for him.

As to coaches, I'll take what I have seen with my own eyes about the pre-(redacted) and Danny hires over what you have guessed at and swore to EVERY time. It's not my fault you don't people know who count or are trusted.

You clearly don’t read anything I post. I posted numerous times last year that the buyout/contract had to be complete BS as reported. We still don’t know the details of the contract (and never will), but I was wrong on that one (at least in assuming the contract couldn’t possibly be so bad as to force us to keep Manning around). But you are apparently doubling down.

And your second paragraph is gibberish. Not even sure how to respond. All I was saying is that you’ve been wrong on way more coaching hires (Wake and non-Wake) than you’ve been right... So at this point I just dismiss your opinion without a second thought.

I can go back and post some quotes when I have some time at a computer, if you’d like.

Come to think of it... I’m not even sure if you were responding to me or Racer.

Which is kind of funny since Racer and I don’t seem to agree on much.

Beilien would certainly be an improvement, but we need some energy, someone who can connect with students, recruit their ass off, etc. I totally get the concerns with Kelsey / Miller OTOH they both would know what they're getting into, know what the issues are and would better placed to start addressing them from day 1.

My list is similar

Tier 1: Beilein, Matta, Grant
Tier 2: Shaka, Forbes, Rhoades
Tier 3: Miller, Casey Alexander, John Becker

This should be the list used by Currie. Only change I would have would be to move Grant down to a Tier 2. Unless nobody wants to be the next HC at WF, then lets stay away from the Tier 3 coaches. Shoot for Tier 1, but most likely settle for a Tier 2 guy. Don’t see much difference between Shaka, Forbes, Grant, and Rhoades, but if I had to pick one I would choose Shaka.

A couple of things:

- Yes, "he won't be here in 10 years"; my concern is that he won't be here in three years. It apparently has taken Beilein half a season to give up on the NBA, and there had been murmurs that Beilein was having issues relating to players from the start. WF is in a similar rebuild mode, and we don't get lottery picks. Is Beilein going to be able to put in the time to find the under-rated talent which is a must to win at WF, and then does he still have the ability to out-recruit VT, State, Clemson, GT among others for the talent we target? Recruiting to Michigan and WF are not the same.

- WF is "in a great spot" if Beilein has the energy and capacity to build up WF from the cellar of the ACC. Seems like a young man's job to me.

FWIW, agree that it would be ABSURD not to consider Beilein, but just saying that WF's decision-makers have to see the signs that Beilein has not slipped. There are people pushing 70 that shouldn't be driving a car; so, I'm just saying it makes sense to perform a little due diligence before going on all-in on JB.

At one point, it came down to Skip and Belein. I think there was a booster backing each. But the word was it was very close. I could see him remembering that and either thinking screw them they didn't want me then or there was a reason I liked them then so why not now.

This should be the list used by Currie. Only change I would have would be to move Grant down to a Tier 2. Unless nobody wants to be the next HC at WF, then lets stay away from the Tier 3 coaches. Shoot for Tier 1, but most likely settle for a Tier 2 guy. Don’t see much difference between Shaka, Forbes, Grant, and Rhoades, but if I had to pick one I would choose Shaka.

My thing with those top 1 is that they would be great coaches at a place that "recruits itself" (read: Michigan, tOSU, Texas if that opens). i'm skeptical they have the energy to turn this dumpster fire around.

6000 extra tickets sold at $30 in revenues (tix/concessions/parking) times 18 home games= $3.24M more than we pay Daniel before we bank a penny in extra money

He'll EASILY pay for himself at $5M.

Isn't it possible wake doesn't really need to sell tickets? 26 million from espn compared to far less in years past creates a whole new financial choice if a fan base is not a high priority at academic wake and money comes from another source why gamble on another overpriced coach? Not that I like that but could be a reality so far this is the way it is playing out
According to a report by USA Today, the conference reeled in $418 million for fiscal 2017, based on the most recent tax returns, a 12 percent increase from fiscal 2016 The average payoff to ACC schools: $26.6 million.

Non-Wake coaching? Who cares?

About the only non-Deac coaching hire I posted seriously about was Buzz Williams and everything I posted about that has been confirmed. Guessing who might take the UCLA job or other places is of no consequence.

It's not gibberish. What I have posted about the post-Dino hire came from things I've seen as did what I said about the Shaka debacle. I don't really give a fuck what you think about what I know, have seen and been told.

What's telling is the people who actually know me understand and get good info, but those who make their bones by being RJ haters are treated they way they treat me. It doesn't have to be that way.

Makes me laugh that Sokolove still fools some
people.

Also a good reminder that rjkarl has proven himself to be a poster not worth listening to about coaching searches.

I have reservations about Beilein, but I have reservations about every candidate... At some level, it’s always a risk. I’d be very surprised if Beilein is interested in the Wake job, but I’m pretty sure Currie has already put feelers out somehow. He’s be crazy not to at least get a better sense of the situation.

Has that parody been outed?

I was lazy and just going off the poster that said the season he's having this year at Dayton might be an aberration, but you're right he's got a good track record for the most part when I looked it up. I would be good if he ended up here, think it would be a solid hire.

He'd be a great hire. And, as you said, much more than a one hit wonder. For one thing, he finished first three straight years at VCU...something Shaka literally never did in 6 seasons. But still there are huge Shaka fans on here and those more iffy on Grant. Makes no sense. The reality is, though, we'd have a better chance at Shaka than Grant because Smart will not be a hot commodity and Grant certainly will be.

Back