• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

He's 67 and his wife is 66, so they're both on Medicare. I assume Cleveland gave him some kind of enhanced supplemental coverage that he would have to COBRA, but it wouldn't be much, especially compared to his likely contract.

I don’t know man the Medicare paper work is pretty complicated maybe he never enrolled...and COBRA is expensive, probably especially for a 67 year old. I think we are out of the running on this guy, entirely because of medical insurance.

unfortunately I don't think WF will be getting 1st choice of those guys, more than likely we're choosing among the leftovers.

Of the expected openings this offseason, I would say Texas is the only opening that’s much more attractive than Wake. GT and Clemson don’t have the facilities that Wake now does. There’s about 5-6 very quality candidates (Matta, Beilein, Shaka, Forbes, Grant, Rhoades) and there’s only 4-5 P5 openings. If we settle for Wes, that is LOWF bad.

I don’t know man the Medicare paper work is pretty complicated maybe he never enrolled...and COBRA is expensive, probably especially for a 67 year old. I think we are out of the running on this guy, entirely because of medical insurance.

You know COBRA is based on what your former employer paid for insurance, it's not going out and getting a new insurance plan. And just as you don't pay more because you are old while working, he won't pay a higher amount because he's old. He would just pay the employer share of the premium.

Of the expected openings this offseason, I would say Texas is the only opening that’s much more attractive than Wake. GT and Clemson don’t have the facilities that Wake now does. There’s about 5-6 very quality candidates (Matta, Beilein, Shaka, Forbes, Grant, Rhoades) and there’s only 4-5 P5 openings. If we settle for Wes, that is LOWF bad.

"expected" is a key word, plus the Texas hire could create a more desirable opening in the process

Matta is not guaranteed to be available to anyone this year, he can wait another year for better jobs to open up. Same for Beilein.

Is WF really preferable to Dayton right now?

So half of your candidates may not even be in play.

"expected" is a key word, plus the Texas hire could create a more desirable opening in the process

Matta is not guaranteed to be available to anyone this year, he can wait another year for better jobs to open up. Same for Beilein.

That’s why their candidates. Of course they’re not all going to be available, but you have to give those guys a call anyway. The ones we are almost certain will be available would be Shaka, Forbes, and Rhoades. I would take any of those 3 over Wes. Let’s say there are 4 openings we are competing with (even though I don’t think Brownell and Christian are getting canned); Texas, GT, BC?, Clemson?. We should be able to get 1 of those 6 candidates over a maximum of 4 openings.

Beilein won't be getting younger. He just turned 67 (Feb 5). Neither he nor Matta will "need" the money. However, if Beilein wants to continue coaching, he probably will jump right back in, not wait a year. Why skip a year or two to wait until you will be 69 or 70? He will coach bevause he wants to coach.

The most intriguing question is Thad Matta's health. Is he healthy enough to be able to coach, or has he gotten used to being retired?

I'm guessing being paid $3M+/year would give him enough to cover his insurance if Wake didn't give it to him.

Tom Penders made the NCAA Tournament 8 of his 10 years as Texas head coach. Rick Barnes followed him and made it 16 of 17 years. Shaka is going to miss the tournament 3 times in 5 years. He did win at VCU but from Jeff Capel forward every coach has won at VCU. Shaka’s record there doesn’t stand out from the others except for the magical FF run. Just don’t see how he can be the answer.

I'm guessing being paid $3M+/year would give him enough to cover his insurance if Wake didn't give it to him.
Agreed. I don't know why some have been making such a big thing out of something that is almost certainly a non-issue.
Beilien is going to turn down jobs on the basis of who gives him the best insurance? Hardly.

Beilein's agent is probably looking at where has the best returning team for his style. He may get a job that doesn't look like a look to be open.

what make you think Shaka is certain to be available if he's fired? He'll get a huge buyout. Lots of guys sit out a year or two & do some broadcast work while waiting on an optimal job. I'm not being LOWF as I think we get our choice of those type of guys 10 years ago but right now we're coming out a decade long shit show that will require a significant rebuild that could easily take a few years. I just don't see guys like Beilein, Matta, or even Shaka coming out of retirement to take that challenge when they will likely have better opportunities in another year or two. I also don't see Grant leaving Dayton for that challenge when he's got a better path to consistent NCAA Tourney as a top A10 team. Possibly the same for Rhoades. I don't think the lure of coaching in the ACC is the same as it used to be, particularly for the programs like WF that are stuck at the bottom.

Personally, I don't think we end up w/ Miller either. I think he ends up @ Clemson after next season & kills us every year but never has a ton of success there (Brownell v2). I think that like in years past we end up w/ someone that has not been identified by the fanbase yet.

Beilein won't be getting younger. He just turned 67 (Feb 5). Neither he nor Matta will "need" the money. However, if Beilein wants to continue coaching, he probably will jump right back in, not wait a year. Why skip a year or two to wait until you will be 69 or 70? He will coach bevause he wants to coach.

The most intriguing question is Thad Matta's health. Is he healthy enough to be able to coach, or has he gotten used to being retired?

Do you think he wants to spend the last 4-5 years of his career tackling our dumpster fire when it will take at least half of that time to turn it around?

You know COBRA is based on what your former employer paid for insurance, it's not going out and getting a new insurance plan. And just as you don't pay more because you are old while working, he won't pay a higher amount because he's old. He would just pay the employer share of the premium.

If you say so, but I really think the 6-week gap in health insurance coverage is the one thing that will really keep us out of the Beilein sweepstakes.

what make you think Shaka is certain to be available if he's fired? He'll get a huge buyout. Lots of guys sit out a year or two & do some broadcast work while waiting on an optimal job. I'm not being LOWF as I think we get our choice of those type of guys 10 years ago but right now we're coming out a decade long shit show that will require a significant rebuild that could easily take a few years. I just don't see guys like Beilein, Matta, or even Shaka coming out of retirement to take that challenge when they will likely have better opportunities in another year or two. I also don't see Grant leaving Dayton for that challenge when he's got a better path to consistent NCAA Tourney as a top A10 team. Possibly the same for Rhoades. I don't think the lure of coaching in the ACC is the same as it used to be, particularly for the programs like WF that are stuck at the bottom.

Personally, I don't think we end up w/ Miller either. I think he ends up @ Clemson after next season & kills us every year but never has a ton of success there (Brownell v2). I think that like in years past we end up w/ someone that has not been identified by the fanbase yet.

Well, my route to get Shaka kind of bypasses his buyout as we hire him directly from Texas where Texas can pay for some of Danny’s buyout in return. The only reason I can see this being a possibility is because of Currie’s past relationships at Texas. Shaka was at our football game vs UNC so obviously he has some relationship with Currie and/or has an interest in coaching here. Agree, don’t see Grant leaving Dayton, but disagree with you on Rhoades. Rhoades is getting about 1.2 M at VCU; Don’t see him turning down a 2.75+ from Wake.

If Wellman was still the AD I would agree that we will hire some unknown coach, but Currie and the large donors know who we want. They are on social media and pay attention to many BSD writers who state their opinions on candidates. I think Currie will hire somebody that’s been thrown around by fans. Doubt it’ll be Matta or Beilein, but more a Tier 2 such as Rhoades, Forbes, or Shaka. Right now, my money would be on Forbes.

Last edited:
Agreed. I don't know why some have been making such a big thing out of something that is almost certainly a non-issue.
Beilien is going to turn down jobs on the basis of who gives him the best insurance? Hardly.

At 67 heath care probably looms large. I bet it will be the first thing to come up in any negotiations.

At 67 heath care probably looms large. I bet it will be the first thing to come up in any negotiations.

I doubt that. The length of the contract and what he can do will take much more priority.

Insurance will be expected to be the best in whatever area he coaches. It will be the easiest part of the negotiations.

Do you think he wants to spend the last 4-5 years of his career tackling our dumpster fire when it will take at least half of that time to turn it around?

Thad Matta is only 52. Plenty of time for a turn around and some title runs.

Back