• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

All things considered, Steve Forbes could be a target candidate. He has a winning resume as a head coach. He has extensive experience as an assistant at championship level programs. He has been recognized as a top recruiter. The only candidates discussed with a better resumes have extensive D1 head coaching experience and would cost twice as much. He and Currie worked together at Tennessee for four years in similar capacities. That could be a huge advantage or an immediate eliminator. At 54, Forbes is two years older than Clawson and five years older than Currie. That could be a consideration.

Last edited:
Haha, I love reading this thread. Some of y'all are hella dumb. Or maybe gullible is a nicer word.

I doubt that. The length of the contract and what he can do will take much more priority.

Insurance will be expected to be the best in whatever area he coaches. It will be the easiest part of the negotiations.

You guys aren't seeing the bigger picture. What about the 6-weak gap in coverage when he gets fired by the cavaliers on Friday, but we can't actually hire him until April. If Currie calls him this week, it will be the first thing to come up. It's a lost cause, Beilein won't want to risk a lapse in coverage or pay the COBRA, he is going to take another job, which is too bad because otherwise I'm sure he'd be ours for the taking. We should probably just focus our vibes on convincing Rick Barnes to leave Tennessee to come to Wake.

Haha, I love reading this thread. Some of y'all are hella dumb. Or maybe gullible is a nicer word.

This whole thread is speculation. What makes that fit either of your characterizations?

At some point in time, Danny Manning will not be the head men's basketball coach at Wake Forest. That is a fact. The unknown is when that will occur.

This whole thread is based on the premise that his successor is needed by May 2020. Based on that premise, some are speculating about who that might be, and why possible candidates would be better and/or more likely to come to Wake.

His successor is needed no later than the Final 4. If we wait until May, we will lose an important 4-8 weeks of recruiting. More importantly, the longer we wait the fewer top choices we'll have. By May, the good replacements will have been spoken for by someone.

Izzo will actually take the Wake job while keeping the MSU gig. He wants to be the first coach to take two teams to the NCAA in the same year. It will help him catch up in total wins.
I also heard he wants the safety net to avoid Cobra if MSU let’s him go. At his age, you have to think about these things.

It’s feeling like it’s gonna be Forbes to me. I’m bummed we didn’t get Oates last year. I’m eager to see how successful he can be at Bama, but it’s salt in the would. Feels better than watching Wake, though. He is getting their offense going.

I don’t think Forbes will be our basketball coach. He worked with Pearl, his team is made up of JUCO’s currently. He’s a solid coach, with a very good record at where he’s been, but there’s going to be so many guys out there who are proven winners that do it the “Wake Way”. They don’t have any past affiliations with allegations. They don’t have player issues. Beilein, Richey, Miller, Medved, Craig Smith all fit that bill. Pretty much my top targets.

Matta would be great, but I don’t know where his name came from. Nobody in the media talks about him having any future coaching basketball again, so I don’t know where we got his name from as a possible candidate. Again, he would be great, but seems unrealistic.

I don’t think Forbes will be our basketball coach. He worked with Pearl, his team is made up of JUCO’s currently. He’s a solid coach, with a very good record at where he’s been, but there’s going to be so many guys out there who are proven winners that do it the “Wake Way”. They don’t have any past affiliations with allegations. They don’t have player issues. Beilein, Richey, Miller, Medved, Craig Smith all fit that bill. Pretty much my top targets.

Matta would be great, but I don’t know where his name came from. Nobody in the media talks about him having any future coaching basketball again, so I don’t know where we got his name from as a possible candidate. Again, he would be great, but seems unrealistic.

Matta definitely needs some health insurance though.

Thad Matta interviewed at Georgia spring 2019. That put him on a lot of people's radar. His back will no longer be strained from carrying OSU cash to the bank this May.

At 67 heath care probably looms large. I bet it will be the first thing to come up in any negotiations.
He's also not exactly middle class or working poor either. I suspect, even given our Nation's shit-ass healthcare system, he isn't in dire need of employer supplied health insurance. The likelihood he's worried about using Cobra or the six week gap is laughable.

Last edited:
He's also not exactly middle class or working poor either. I suspect, even given our Nation's shit-ass healthcare system, he isn't in dire need of employer supplied health insurance. The likelihood he's worried about using Cobra or the six week gap is laughable.

If he could just find a job at a place near a hospital or has a research hospital.

Rhoades vs Grant tonight. VCU needs this win to keep their at-large hope alive.

PM please.

The dental benefits we offer is really going to be the make-or-break here.

Clearly just speculation on my part, but I think that when Currie was hired, absent of a major turnaround this season, he's been working the back channels and for some time has had a working list of who he'd want and who would be interested in us, and there's already been some indirect contacts/conversations between the parties. This thing will be resolved quickly when a) Wake's season is done, and b) coach-in-waiting's season is done.

Well, my route to get Shaka kind of bypasses his buyout as we hire him directly from Texas where Texas can pay for some of Danny’s buyout in return. The only reason I can see this being a possibility is because of Currie’s past relationships at Texas. Shaka was at our football game vs UNC so obviously he has some relationship with Currie and/or has an interest in coaching here. Agree, don’t see Grant leaving Dayton, but disagree with you on Rhoades. Rhoades is getting about 1.2 M at VCU; Don’t see him turning down a 2.75+ from Wake.

If Wellman was still the AD I would agree that we will hire some unknown coach, but Currie and the large donors know who we want. They are on social media and pay attention to many BSD writers who state their opinions on candidates. I think Currie will hire somebody that’s been thrown around by fans. Doubt it’ll be Matta or Beilein, but more a Tier 2 such as Rhoades, Forbes, or Shaka. Right now, my money would be on Forbes.

I had a Texas booster connection tell me last year that he thought the Shaka thing would have happened if Texas was able to convince Beard to leave Tech.

what make you think Shaka is certain to be available if he's fired? He'll get a huge buyout. Lots of guys sit out a year or two & do some broadcast work while waiting on an optimal job. I'm not being LOWF as I think we get our choice of those type of guys 10 years ago but right now we're coming out a decade long shit show that will require a significant rebuild that could easily take a few years. I just don't see guys like Beilein, Matta, or even Shaka coming out of retirement to take that challenge when they will likely have better opportunities in another year or two. I also don't see Grant leaving Dayton for that challenge when he's got a better path to consistent NCAA Tourney as a top A10 team. Possibly the same for Rhoades. I don't think the lure of coaching in the ACC is the same as it used to be, particularly for the programs like WF that are stuck at the bottom.

Personally, I don't think we end up w/ Miller either. I think he ends up @ Clemson after next season & kills us every year but never has a ton of success there (Brownell v2). I think that like in years past we end up w/ someone that has not been identified by the fanbase yet.

If he could recruit I'd take Brownwell.

The dental benefits we offer is really going to be the make-or-break here.

Well yeah, that and the quality of our long term care insurance coverage. These are the important questions.

Back