• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Does anyone think the timing of this indicates that Beilen wants to declare himself an option for a college head coaching gig?

It's also the best time during the season for an NBA team to change coaches. The new/interim coach gets a few practices before his team has a game. Only long break like this in season.

I wouldn't read too much into the timing regarding Beilein's interest in coaching in college. But if I'm Currie, I already have his agent on speed dial.

I think the timing is primarily that the Cavs want him gone.

Maybe. But it's late February and the Cavs are only competing for a top draft pick at this point. Apparently Beilen had gone to the Cavs as well seeking to resolve his contract now. He either wants an early start on retirement or to consider coaching college.

Maybe. But it's late February and the Cavs are only competing for a top draft pick at this point. Apparently Beilen had gone to the Cavs as well seeking to resolve his contract now. He either wants an early start on retirement or to consider coaching college.

Not sure what there was to "resolve" from his side. He was in the first year of a five year contract. According to the Woj report, there was some negotiation of the rest of his contract. So maybe he wanted out now, rather than at the end of the Cavs season. Why? We don't know.

Maybe he was being tuned out by the players and just wanted out. Maybe he wanted to make sure he had a prime spot when the college coaching change carousel started turning. The next eight weeks are the critical ones.

Count me in on the Beilein train, between the disappointing seasons from some of the other top candidates (Rhoades, Smith, Smart) and the red flags with some others (Forbes, Matta).

Count me in on the Beilein train, between the disappointing seasons from some of the other top candidates (Rhoades, Smith, Smart) and the red flags with some others (Forbes, Matta).

The only red flag I know of with Matta is his health. He has spent most of his coaching career in the midwest. (Two years at Western Carolina the exception.) His daughter should finish at Butler. That may have kept him from wanting to move too far from there.

Do you know who's severely underpaid, a great recruiter, a proven program builder, the coach of a top 10 team, and not a million fucking years old? Pat Fucking Chambers.

Yeah but is Penn State good at basketball?

usa_today_9085714.0.jpg

Thanks for the heads up... LOTS of noteworthy items in that article. I can't cut and paste, but here are some highlights:

Beilein was always fascinated by the NBA... Wanted to test himself even though friends and associates warned him it might not be a good fit.

Beilein is reportedly walking away from more than $12mil guaranteed on his 4-year contract just to get out. Startling to many, but he confided in a few players that money isn't an issue with him... Happiness comes first.

Was a poor fit from day one. No relationships w/ the players... They didn't like his tone or style. Beilien was stunned by the culture of the modern NBA player... Missing practices and games for soreness; Winning not being a priority due to the rebuild situation; Players not retaining fundamental information delivered by the coaches; Revulsion to film and lengthy practice sessions.

There was no coming back from the "thugs" comment... Players tried to make light of the situation by playing "Thuggish Ruggish Bone", "Thugz Mansion", and "I'm a Thug". Players didn't like his excuse for the comment... Just own up to it.

On the plus side, Beilein never ripped his players publicly, including the ones who were defying him the most. He supported his players during media sessions and argued there was room for grown men to be frustrated over the coarse of a trying season.

The article then goes on to mention that Beilein wasn't the problem in Cleveland... There is a disease with the culture. Larry Drew initially refused to take the interim job last year after Lue was fired. He asked later in the season for G League coach Nate Reinking to take over. Ownership/Management wants the young players to play, but Drew wasn't allowed to use playing time to deliver his message of discipline.

THERE IS ALSO THE BELIEF ACROSS THE COACHING INDUSTRY THAT BEILEIN IS POSITIONING HIMSELF FOR A NEW COLLEGE COACHING JOB.

Thanks for the heads up... LOTS of noteworthy items in that article. I can't cut and paste, but here are some highlights:

Beilein was always fascinated by the NBA... Wanted to test himself even though friends and associates warned him it might not be a good fit.

Beilein is reportedly walking away from more than $12mil guaranteed on his 4-year contract just to get out. Startling to many, but he confided in a few players that money isn't an issue with him... Happiness comes first.

Was a poor fit from day one. No relationships w/ the players... They didn't like his tone or style. Beilien was stunned by the culture of the modern NBA player... Missing practices and games for soreness; Winning not being a priority due to the rebuild situation; Players not retaining fundamental information delivered by the coaches; Revulsion to film and lengthy practice sessions.

There was no coming back from the "thugs" comment... Players tried to make light of the situation by playing "Thuggish Ruggish Bone", "Thugz Mansion", and "I'm a Thug". Players didn't like his excuse for the comment... Just own up to it.

On the plus side, Beilein never ripped his players publicly, including the ones who were defying him the most. He supported his players during media sessions and argued there was room for grown men to be frustrated over the coarse of a trying season.

The article then goes on to mention that Beilein wasn't the problem in Cleveland... There is a disease with the culture. Larry Drew initially refused to take the interim job last year after Lue was fired. He asked later in the season for G League coach Nate Reinking to take over. Ownership/Management wants the young players to play, but Drew wasn't allowed to use playing time to deliver his message of discipline.

THERE IS ALSO THE BELIEF ACROSS THE COACHING INDUSTRY THAT BEILEIN IS POSITIONING HIMSELF FOR A NEW COLLEGE COACHING JOB.

COBRA or nah, tho?

No mention of the health insurance situation? Odd.

I'm getting concerned. Belien is an older guy and no one is bringing up eye health. Any details on a comprehensive vision plan? I'm not talking eye med. This could be a sleeper problem that derails the whole recruitment if currie does not get serious immediately.
I concur. We really need to roll it in with the dental plan for a comprehensive package.

Rutgers is having an amazing season in basketball. 17-0 at home so far. Only team that can say that. Fans are packing the arena. $400 single game ticket. Coach was hired following a successful run at Stoneybrook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/die-hard-rutgers-loyalists-have-noticed-something-new-this-hoops-season-other-fans/2020/02/18/e675eeb2-5278-11ea-929a-64efa7482a77_story.html

Rutgers is such an enigma to me. They've sucked forever, but NJ has to be a top 5 state in terms of high school talent. I guess them sucking combined with the historical success of Cuse, UCONN, Nova, Maryland, and Rutgers-Durham have made it hard to recruit at home. Still, you would think that they would have been able to convince a couple top recruits to stay home over the years.

This is the type of content I'm here for. Deep, well thought out, and backed by a plethora of information and facts.

Well let me plain it to you then. Belein is almost 68 and has all the money he will ever need. Why would a wealthy senior citizen want to go under the pressure of the ACC with a team that will take several years to rebuild and who has a bad track record with coaches after the Prosser's death fiasco? Same goes for Matta, he has had health issues and would also be possibly risking his health for a total rebuild job. Smart would require too much money and has been less than successful at Texas where it should be easy with the facilities, money, support and fertile recruiting area to win. Smart is like the Muschamps guy to me, if he couldn't win big in the incredibly talented recruiting ground of Florida football, why would he succeed at a less than fertile recruiting state like SC?

Well let me plain it to you then. Belein is almost 68 and has all the money he will ever need. Why would a wealthy senior citizen want to go under the pressure of the ACC with a team that will take several years to rebuild and who has a bad track record with coaches after the Prosser's death fiasco? Same goes for Matta, he has had health issues and would also be possibly risking his health for a total rebuild job. Smart would require too much money and has been less than successful at Texas where it should be easy with the facilities, money, support and fertile recruiting area to win. Smart is like the Muschamps guy to me, if he couldn't win big in the incredibly talented recruiting ground of Florida football, why would he succeed at a less than fertile recruiting state like SC?

There is no total rebuild job in college basketball for Belein or Matta. Their respective names get them in the door with the types of players they want to recruit, both for high school kids and transfers.

College basketball turns over its top players almost every year. Find 6-7 competent players (a few of which are on the team now) and go win 18 games in year 1. Bring in a top 20 recruiting class and go to the dance in year 2. Profit.

Back