• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Do you know who's severely underpaid, a great recruiter, a proven program builder, the coach of a top 10 team, and not a million fucking years old? Pat Fucking Chambers.

Do you know who's severely underpaid, a great recruiter, a proven program builder, the coach of a top 10 team, and not a million fucking years old? Pat Fucking Chambers.
I am hesitant to support a guy who has limited experience before going to a P5 school, then at his current school he has had one very good season (this one), one good season (2018 NIT Champ), and otherwise has not been that good. This will be the only season where he has finished with an above .500 conference record (NIT season was .500 exactly). The Deacs (Bzz & Manning) have out recruited him in 7 of 9 classes, so if people are not happy with WF's recruiting, they likely wouldn't be happy with his either.

He definitely does seem underpaid for a P5 coach.

Last edited:
Found this old article when I did a search of "Beilein" and "Wake Forest"...

http://www.espn.com/ncb/s/2001/0418/1175463.html

It's a 4/20/01 article from Andy Katz on the Wake Forest coaching search after Odom left for South Carolina... Sounds like the 3 top candidates were Prosser, Beilein, and Nestor. Also mentions Purnell, Few, and Frank Johnson.

Sources said Prosser wouldn't necessarily go to Wake Forest if the job were offered. But Beilein and Nestor would likely accept the job if offered.

Beilein has been seen as a natural fit at Wake Forest by coaches across the country. The two schools have similar, high academic standards and they regularly play each other during the season.

Beilein, 48, led the Spiders to the Colonial Athletic Association regular-season title, but a pending move to the Atlantic 10 prevented the Spiders from participating in the CAA tournament. Richmond didn't receive an NCAA Tournament at-large berth but did get an NIT bid. Beilein is 78-39 in four seasons as head coach.
He signed an extension two weeks ago after he withdrew his name from consideration for the Rutgers opening, a job that eventually went to former Kent State coach Gary Waters.
Beilein's extension pays him $400,000 until 2008, but he can get out of the contract for Wake Forest without a heavy penalty. However, Beilein is considered to be extremely happy at Richmond, where the Spiders are poised to be a threat in the A-10 in the next few seasons.

I'm getting concerned. Belien is an older guy and no one is bringing up eye health. Any details on a comprehensive vision plan? I'm not talking eye med. This could be a sleeper problem that derails the whole recruitment if currie does not get serious immediately.

Found this old article when I did a search of "Beilein" and "Wake Forest"...

http://www.espn.com/ncb/s/2001/0418/1175463.html

It's a 4/20/01 article from Andy Katz on the Wake Forest coaching search after Odom left for South Carolina... Sounds like the 3 top candidates were Prosser, Beilein, and Nestor. Also mentions Purnell, Few, and Frank Johnson.

The boards were firmly against Beilein at the time.

The boards were firmly against Beilein at the time.

Additional proof that it is fun to speculate about coaches around here, but the track record for board consensus is not very good.

John Pelphrey was a darling at one point.

Beilein would have been a good choice in 2001, but it’s not as if we struck out with Skip.

Beilein would have been a good choice in 2001, but it’s not as if we struck out with Skip.

Definitely... I think it is just interesting to look back at a search from 19 years ago. Beilein and Skip were good choices. Few probably wouldn't have come. Purnell not a good option, but he did OK for stretches at Clemson when he got an ACC job. Nestor and Johnson? No idea... But probably good that we didn't go in that direction.

Definitely... I think it is just interesting to look back at a search from 19 years ago. Beilein and Skip were good choices. Few probably wouldn't have come. Purnell not a good option, but he did OK for stretches at Clemson when he got an ACC job. Nestor and Johnson? No idea... But probably good that we didn't go in that direction.

I understand the team really wanted Nestor to follow Odom.

I still think Belein, Matta, and Smart are not coming here. My personal choice(s) would be Steve Forbes, John Becker or Wes Miller in that order.

I think they have to.

Maybe, as part of the negotiations for the rest of the year's salary, he can add in continued health care coverage until the end of April. By then Beilein should have enough time to be covered by Wake's health care plan.

Does anyone think the timing of this indicates that Beilen wants to declare himself an option for a college head coaching gig?

I think the timing is primarily that the Cavs want him gone.

Back