• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Beilein is going to get shit canned very soon.

Wake would be a great place for him to resurrect and then end his coaching career.

I long to return to the days where I'm disappointed by epic failures and colossal heartbreak in the NCAA tourney.

I don't disagree but the "I would rather Wake suck than get kicked in the nuts every March" opinion was a popular take by more than just a handful of message board posters during the tail end of Dino's tenure.

And their wish was granted.

Beilein is going to get shit canned very soon.

Wake would be a great place for him to resurrect and then end his coaching career.

Perfect landing spot and gives him a chance to finish out his career in the ACC.

But he turns 67 next month. Does he have the stomach for a rebuilding project?

Also remember that Beilein was the choice in 2001 before Skip said he was coming.

I'm over here all fired up for a coaching search that includes Beilein, Pitino, Matta, Smart, Anthony Grant, etc...

Instead, we'll probably get Russell Turner, Chris Mooney, and Earl Grant.

I'm over here all fired up for a coaching search that includes Beilein, Pitino, Matta, Smart, Anthony Grant, etc...

If we continue on the recent path, we won't get Chris Mooney. We'll sign Paul Mooney.

I think Russel has a better resume than Wes...

I think Russel has a better resume than Wes...

Not debating that, but my point was largely that a Russell Turner hire would do nothing for the excitement level surrounding the Wake Forest Basketball program.

---

"Did you hear Wake Forest hired Russell Turner!?!"

"I did not. Neat!"

"Also, did I tell you about the bunion I had removed?"

<end scene>

The excitement level created by the next hire is meaningless (or at least it should be).

From the tenor of this board, I guess people would be overjoyed if WF hired Shaka or Matta, but that only lasts until the games start. If 3 years (or more) for now, WF is continuing its string of 20 loss seasons, we aren't going to feel any better because WF won the press conference in March 2020. My hope is that Curry makes the decision of his life, makes the decision with the long game in mind and doesn't care if people love or it hate it at the time. The only thing that really matters if the next coach can take us to a better place as we look back years from now.

Three game winning streak going into a home game against the #10 team and there was no attendance and no excitement. It's just hard to see fans coming back for Manning at all. It's going to take a new coach with a track record of winning just to get the hardcore fans excited and he's going to need to win a lot to bring back the casual fans.

The excitement level created by the next hire is meaningless (or at least it should be).

From the tenor of this board, I guess people would be overjoyed if WF hired Shaka or Matta, but that only lasts until the games start. If 3 years (or more) for now, WF is continuing its string of 20 loss seasons, we aren't going to feel any better because WF won the press conference in March 2020. My hope is that Curry makes the decision of his life, makes the decision with the long game in mind and doesn't care if people love or it hate it at the time. The only thing that really matters if the next coach can take us to a better place as we look back years from now.

Sure.

I don't think he needs to win the press conference. But there are certain candidates that would be duds from day one. That's my fear. I was marginally excited about Manning because I hated Bz... But I can't say I thought he was a sure thing or a great hire.

Exciting (for me, at least) would be someone who has a decent personality and vision for turning around the program. Decent personality only means that they shouldn't be as awkward as Bz or stand-offish as Manning. Low bar. More importantly, I'd like to win again.

Add Ritchie McKay to that list.

Complacent Deac. What loss will get Manning canned?[/QUOTE said:
There is none. Unless Bill Gates suddenly becomes a huge Wake basketball fan and strokes a check, Wake cannot afford to buy out the contract extension Wellman gave him for at least another season, maybe two.

I don't disagree but the "I would rather Wake suck than get kicked in the nuts every March" opinion was a popular take by more than just a handful of message board posters during the tail end of Dino's tenure.

And their wish was granted.

Literally nobody had this opinion.

Back